The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Sixty: Conversations Galore

Soon enough, the Easter holiday rolled around. It should have meant a week of relaxing and enjoying ourselves, but for every fifth and seventh year student, it meant a week of no classes to catch up on our mountains of homework. Not exactly ideal for anyone. Still, it did help me get the chance to finish pretty much most of my homework. I spent the first three days only doing homework, taking minor breaks for food, drink, and hygienic reasons. From the crack of dawn until nearly four in the evening, I did homework. The easier, simpler essays and assignments we'd been given I saved for last, taking care of the harder, longer, and more complicated ones first. Thanks to my system, by the end of the third day, I only had four homework assignments left, and they were all relatively easy. I decided they could wait until later to be finished, giving myself a few days to relax.

It was at this point that I noticed the pamphlets splayed everywhere, talking about possible careers we could have. I flipped through a few, hardly even taking in what they said. What did I want to do? The memory of St. Mungo's came to me, and I decided that was what I would try to be: A Healer. Of course, the healers had to be skilled at every freaking subject offered, but I was sure I could do it if I dedicated myself.

Since I was basically done doing homework, I made my way to the Gryffindor common room, giving the password that Ginny had told me the other day so I could come and go as I pleased. I wasn't surprised to see it filled with students studying and doing homework, their heads bent low over rolls of parchment and large books about various boring topics. I looked around and spotted Fred and George, smiling at them when they noticed me. They had both been talking low, looking like they were concentrating on something, but it didn't appear to be homework since there were no books, quills, or rolls of parchment near them.

"What are you two planning?" I asked softly, walking over to them. They both grinned slyly at me before beckoning for me to follow them back out the portrait entrance, so we could talk freely without disturbing anyone.

"We've got a great new prank planned for old toad head," George said, his eyes glinting with the mischief they had in store.

"It'll be a great last tribute to Dumbledore before we leave. It's gonna happen right after the Easter holiday ends."

I had been smiling, but my smile fell a little at his words. I had known they were planning on leaving, of course, but now that I knew for sure that their departure would be so soon, I felt much sadder than I had expected.

George, noticing my expression, gently cupped my cheek with his hand. "You could come with us," he said softly. "You know everything you need to learn already. Two more years here will just be a waste of your time."

I smiled softly. "That's incredibly tempting. But I need to finish school. I'd kick myself for it later if I don't."

"I had a feeling you'd say that. Look, I need to know if--"

"Oh, look, the giant squid," Fred said cheerfully, giving us both a wink before he left, allowing us to be alone.

"I need to know if this will change things," George said, finishing his interrupted sentence.

"What, like our relationship? I don't know. I don't want it to, but long distance relationships are always really hard..." I bit my lip, not sure what to do.

"Especially since the only company I'll have will be Fred, but your company will be an old flame that still wants you."

"Draco doesn't--," I started, but he shook his head.

"I can see it in his eyes, Riley. It's the same way I looked at you when he had you, and I was left pining away." He smiled, trying to lighten the somewhat somber mood. "Not that I can blame the bloke. Still, I'll turn him into a rat if I need to."

I chuckled, although there wasn't much humor behind it. "I guess I'm really oblivious to noticing when guys like me. I didn't even know you liked me until Ginny told me over the summer."

George sighed, looking like the words he was about to speak were making him quite unhappy. "I think it would be best if we were just friends," he said softly, staring at the floor. "It would make things less complicated for both of us."

I nodded, knowing he was right but still feeling tears prick my eyes. "I suppose you're right. Doesn't mean we have to be particularly happy about it, though."

George kissed me one last time, deeper than he ever had before, and then he walked away, leaving me alone to dry my eyes and compose myself. Once I was sure no one would be able to tell I had been crying, I went back to the Gryffindor common room, where I found Ginny and spent the rest of the day with her.

The next few days passed in a blur, and before anyone was ready, classes had started up again. Soon, I had a meeting with Professor Snape to talk about my career choice. It was, to say the least, awkward. The first few minutes were spent with him giving me a long, cold look. Not that he particularly dislikes me or anything, I think he was just really unhappy about Umbridge being there and taking notes.

"So," he finally said. "Have you decided on a career you'd like to pursue?"

"A Healer," I answered.

He raised his eyebrows slightly. "That would take an awful lot of hard work. Are you sure you're up to the challenge? You seem to be slacking off in your classes and behaving rather lazily."

"I can do it," I answered.

"You'll need at least an E at N.E.W.T. level in Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and, of course, Potions. Do you really think you contain that maturity and intellectual level?"

"I slack off in my classes, and still make Outstanding grades. Literally. If I actually apply myself, I'm certain I can make E's at N.E.W.T. level in all those classes."

"Are you certain?" said an amused, girly voice behind me.

I gritted my teeth for a moment before turning to face Umbitch. "Yes, I'm certain. I'm highly skilled. Sounds pompous, but whatever. It's the truth. So, are we done here?" I asked Snape, turning back to face him.

He nodded, not even bothering to grace me with a response. Obviously he wasn't having a great day. I left quickly, resisting the urge to flip off Umbitch on my way out. I was walking along, heading to lunch, when two things happened at once. First, I bumped into hard air and fell down, and second, I heard what I could only guess was Fred and George's master plan being set into motion. I looked around to see what I had bumped into and saw a foot, unconnected to a body, and smiled.
"Hello, Harry," I said. "What are you up to?"

"Here," he said, throwing the Invisibility Cloak over my head. "I'm going to talk to Sirius," he said in a low voice.

My eyes widened. "How?" I whispered.

"Umbridge's fire. Floo powder."

"Brilliant," I breathed. "Can I come with? Please? I'd love to talk to Sirius again!"

He hesitated, thinking it over, but he finally nodded. "All right."

"Yes! Thanks."

We made our way to Umbitch's office, breaking in and going to her fireplace as quickly as possible. The room in the fireplace wasn't very large, but we made it work. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was endurable. Harry clearly enunciated where we needed the fire to go, and we stuck our heads in. I eagerly looked around when Sirius's kitchen came into view, wondering if he was already there. A man was sitting at the table, looking over some documents.

"Sirius?" Harry asked.

The man jumped and looked at us, startled.

"Remus," I said happily.

"Harry! Riley! What are you-- what's happened, is everything all right?"

"Yeah," said Harry. "I just wondered-- I mean, I just fancied a-- a chat with Sirius."

"I'll call him," Remus said. "He went upstairs to look for Kreacher, he seems to be hiding in the attic again..."

"Wait," I said, a sudden thought coming to me. "Remus, did you... Were you in love with Roxi?"

He was silent staring at me with a deep, unreadable expression. Finally he shook his head. "At first I thought I was. But then I realized she was more like a sister to me than anything. Honestly, I'm pretty certain I just thought I loved her because she was the first girl to truly accept me for all that I was. It was rare to find someone so fiercely loyal to me, or to anyone, really."

He smiled briefly and then left, going to fetch Sirius. I only half listened to Harry, Remus, and Sirius's conversation, though. I knew it was something about Harry's dad acting like a jerk, but I tuned out their talk. I was wondering what to do about Draco, now that George and I had broken up.

"Come on," Harry said, breaking my musing. "We'd better go." We both pulled our heads out of the fire. Quickly, he threw the Cloak over us, concealing us, just as Filch opened the door and burst in. He was talking to himself about finally being allowed to whip us again, making me narrow my eyes slightly. If he was thinking of trying to whip Fred and George, he'd get one hell of a problem on his hands. Harry and I followed behind him as he left, going to where the commotion obviously was. What we saw when we got there was truly a beautiful sight that only Fred and George could pull off.