The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Sixty-one: Fred and George's Wicked Escape Part 2

There was a ring of students around something very large and very messy. Some students were even unlucky enough to have been covered in what I thought was Stinksap. The Inquisitorial Squad was present, looking rather smug, and standing on the stairs was Umbitch. She was gazing down at her prey, looking like a fat toad ready to pounce. In the center of the ring stood Umbridge's prey: Fred and George.

"So... you think it is amusing to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?" Umbridge said in a tight, girly voice.

"Pretty amusing, yeah," Fred answered, gazing challengingly at her. I sniggered softly, mentally cheering them on.

Filch made his way over to Umbridge, papers in his hands. "I've got the form, Headmistress. I've got the form and I've got the whips waiting... Oh, let me do it now..."

"Very good, Argus," she said. "You two," she addressed Fred and George now, "are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school."

"You know what?" Fred asked smugly. "I don't think we are." He turned to George. "George, I think we've outgrown full-time education."

"Yeah, I've been feeling that way myself," said George lightly.

"Time to test our talents in the real world?" asked Fred lightly.

"Definitely," answered George.

Together, before Umbridge could say a word, they raised their wands and said in perfect unison, "Accio brooms!"

From somewhere in the distance there was a loud crash. I looked for the source of the sound, and grinned when I saw Fred and George's broomsticks flying towards them, one still trailing the iron peg and chain that Umbridge had used to fasten it to the wall in her office.

"We won't be seeing you," Fred told Umbridge once the brooms had stopped in front of them. They mounted, grinning widely.

"Yeah, don't bother to keep in touch," George added.

Fred looked around at everyone. "If anyone fancies buying a Portable Swamp, as demonstrated, come to number ninety-three, Diagon Alley-- Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. Our new premises!"

"Special discounts to Hogwarts students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat," George added, pointing at Umbridge.

"STOP THEM!" she shrieked, but to no avail. Fred and George kicked off before anyone could touch them.

Fred looked across the hall towards Peeves, who was bobbing among the crowd. "Give her hell from us, Peeves."

Peeves, to my great joy, swept his belled hat from his head and sprang to a salute as Fred and George flew off. The entire crowd of onlookers was cheering loudly, minus Umbitch and her mindless worshipers. I followed the crowd outside and smiled as George paused for a moment, turning to look back at us, and gave a small wave. A wave, I was certain, that was meant entirely for me. I grinned and waved back, glad for the amount of time I'd gotten to spend with him.

Later that night in the common room, I stayed up later than usual to finish my four last essays that had been set before the Easter break. They were all due very soon, so I had to finish them before I did anything else.

"So he just left you, then?" Draco asked from somewhere behind me.

I looked up from my Defense Against the Dark Arts essay, honestly glad to get a break from reading the ridiculous book. "Who? George?"

"Of course George," he answered waspishly.

"You're in a charming mood," I said sarcastically.

"I got covered in Stinksap today. It kind of puts a damper on anyone's mood. And you didn't answer my question. Did he just leave you, hoping you'd stay faithful, and making you hope he'd do the same?"

"No," I answered, not giving him more details than that.

He sat down on the chair across from mine, staring at me, obviously not going to leave me alone until I gave him a full answer. I sighed softly and sat up, fully looking at him. "He and I decided it would be best if we ended things. Long distance relationships are always difficult, and I think he felt I deserved the chance to be with someone who I would get to see every day."

"You knew they were planning that? And you didn't tell anyone?"

"I knew they were planning on doing one last big prank before leaving. I had no idea it would mean turning an entire corridor into a swamp. And of course I didn't tell anyone. Do you really think I'd betray my boyfriend and best friend?"

He scoffed. "No, I guess not. You're too noble and loyal for that." He sneered lightly.

"You say that like it's a bad thing. Last time I checked, loyalty and nobility in the sense of honor were considered to be favorable traits."

"Nobility in the sense of wealth and power is favorable," he answered. "Nobility in the sense of honor is simply useless."

I sighed softly. "You're hopeless," I said.

"I could say the same thing about you. You've got good blood, marred slightly by your Muggle heritage. But you'd still be marriageable to a wealthy, prestigious wizarding family, if you would only give up your ties to the things that hold you back."

"Okay, I'm gonna pretend like you didn't just insult my mom, and play along here. Let's say I gave up my ties. I stopped being friends with Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Ron, all of them. I stopped caring for the Gryffindors. I didn't defend Remus Lupin when someone verbally attacked him because of something that happened to him as a little boy that he can't change and could do nothing about. I broadcasted my good lineage and magical abilities to other prestigious wizarding families, and I landed a wealthy pureblood husband. What then? I spend the rest of my life, silently turning away when he oppresses others? I smile quietly and say nothing when I'm not spoken to? I host lavish house parties, where I smile, talk about the decorations, and pretend that those are all I care about? I ignore if my husband becomes a Death Eater? I go against everything within me, pretend to be something I'm not, and change who I am simply for the sake of status?"

"It would be so you could end up where you belong. Eventually, those things wouldn't sound so bad to you. They only sound bad now because you're not used to them. You've been raised in a week environment."

"Draco, I belong where I desire to be. Where I'm happy and truly myself. To say I belonged anywhere else would be a lie. And you know it. I don't belong in that world."

"So then who will you marry? Some Mudblood with a good heart but no money? A blood traitor?" He sneered, more profoundly this time. "What kind of a life would that be?"

"A life full of happiness and love. Money and status do not make a person happy. If they did, you wouldn't spend so much time being angry at all the world. Love, compassion, and companionship are what makes people happy. They are what makes a life worth living. Without them, your life is nothing more than an empty shell, being filled by frivolous things that won't ever make you truly content with anything."

"We obviously have different views on happiness," he said. "Now that you and George broke up, I imagine there will be plenty of penniless Mudblood Gryffindors who will jump at the chance to make you 'happy' with their love."

"Maybe," I answered. "But I think I'm gonna stay single for now. It's been awhile since I got to enjoy being single and having the chance to flirt with whomever I please." I returned to my essay, glancing up only slightly when he went to bed. No matter what Draco said, I knew I was right. I didn't belong in his world.