The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Sixty-six: The Battle in the Bowels of Mysteries

I had steeled myself, prepared to see a broken, bloody Sirius cringing in pain on the floor. I had expected to see such a horrendous sight that I would have to close my eyes against it. I did not expect to see nothing. But there was nothing there. No Sirius, no Voldemort, no sign that they had ever been there.
Harry ran around frantically, looking for Sirius. I knew what must've been going through his head as he searched: He was hoping that he hadn't brought us here for nothing. If Voldemort or his Death Eaters were here, but Sirius was not, he would have led us to danger without even realizing it.
"Harry?" Ron asked.
"What?" Harry answered, looking hesitant to come near us.
"Have you seen this?"
"What?" Harry asked again, sounding much more eager this time and coming quickly over to Ron's side. When he realized Ron was only pointing at a glass orb on the shelf, he looked glum again.
"It's got your name on it," Ron said.
Slowly, I placed my head in my hands and groaned softly to myself. Oh, no. Oh, bloody sodding hell, no! The pieces were starting to fall into place, and I had a feeling I knew what was going on.
I turned around to tell Harry not to touch the orb, but I was too late. He had recklessly reached up and grabbed it. Nothing happened at all, leaving him looking disappointed. "No!" I said desperately. "Put it back, Harry! Now, before--" But I cut off when I heard something behind me. With a sigh, I turned to see a figure clad all in black.
"Very good, Potter," the figure drawled familiarly. "Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me."
"Oh, hell," I muttered. Black shapes were emerging all around us, surrounding us so we had nowhere to run.
"To me, Potter," Lucius Malfoy repeated. "To me."
Harry demanded to know where Sirius was, receiving laughs from some of the Death Eaters. The more they laughed, the more I knew. Sirius had never been here. One Death Eater in particular was starting to get on my nerves. It was a woman, and her voice was harsh and mocking. I had the urge to punch her, but I knew that would be stupid, so I stayed still.
Lucius demanded the prophecy again, and Harry demanded to know where Sirius was again. When Harry didn't give the prophecy up, the woman who had gotten on my nerves stepped up and pulled off her hood. Bellatrix Lestrange looked like a crazed corpse, Azkaban having hollowed out her face very much.
"You need more persuasion?" she asked "Very well, take the smallest one," she ordered some of the Death Eaters. "Let him watch while we torture the little girl. I'll do it."
Without needing to be told, we all closed in around Ginny protectively, our wands raised. Harry threatened to smash the prophecy if Ginny were attacked, and we could all tell he meant it. This stalled the Death Eaters, buying us more time. Harry, not knowing what the prophecy was about, was stalling for more time by asking them about it. But when he spoke Voldemort's name, Bellatrix went crazy and tried to stun him. Lucius deflected her spell, telling her to wait until they had the prophecy.
"You haven't told me what's so special about this prophecy I'm supposed to be handing over," Harry said
"Do not play games with us, Potter," Malfoy said.
"I'm not playing games," Harry answered.
"Dumbledore never told you that the reason you bear that scar was hidden in the bowels of the Department of Mysteries?" Malfoy asked, sneering.
"I--What? What about my scar?"
"Can this be? Malfoy asked, sounding obnoxiously smug. "Dumbledore never told you? Well, this explains why you didn't come earlier, Potter, the Dark Lord wondered why."
"Oh, cut the shit and explain it to him, Lucy," I snapped, annoyed with all the Malfoy men I'd ever met at that point.
He turned his gaze to me, his eyes narrowing into angry little slits. Apparently, he hadn't noticed me before now. "You," he practically snarled. "I should have known you'd come."
"Yeah, you should have. You should also know that I'm completely horrified by your drag queen hair. Oh, and that I'm going to kick your ass before we leave."
He raised his wand at me, but Harry mimed dropping the prophecy, so he forcibly calmed himself down and lowered his wand.
"Smash shelves when Harry says to," Ginny breathed in my ear. I gave her wrist a light squeeze to show I had heard her.
Harry, Lucy, and Bellatrix continued talking about the prophecy, and I knew Harry was waiting to give the signal. I held my wand tightly, anticipating the moment when we would spring into action.
"NOW!" Harry yelled. In near perfect unison, we all shouted "Reducto!" at the shelves around us. The structures swayed dangerously and many of the prophecies on them burst and shattered. "RUN!" Harry yelled. Without hesitating, I grabbed Ginny's hand and ran away from the Death Eaters.
It was difficult to navigate between the flying glass the the now-advancing Death Eaters. One grabbed my robe, so I released Ginny's hand to stun him. Another appeared out of nowhere, casting a spell at me, so I dove to the floor to avoid getting hit. By this point, I had lost Ginny.
"Stupefy!" I yelled, hitting the Death Eater in the chest before I got up and continued running. Ahead, I could see the door we had come through. I ran towards it, but I realized there were Death Eaters grouping near there. Dodging quickly behind an unsmashed shelf, I listened quietly to them talking. Once they were all distracted with their destinations, I darted out and around the shelf.
"Carson!" Lucius yelled angrily.
"Oh, shit!" I said, turning to face him.
"Avada--" he started.
"Levicorpus!" I yelled, sending him flying backwards. With a sigh of relief, I kept running until I found a door and jumped through it, sealing it shut behind me with a quick "Colloportus." I realized I was back in the circular room that had all the doors on its walls. Without warning, the walls began to rotate as they had before, leaving me hoping the next door I tried wouldn't be one that led to my ultimate demise.
Unfortunately, I opened the door to find Bellatrix and another Death Eater waiting for me. They both shot spells at me, causing me to yelp in surprise and lunge out of the way. They came rushing at me, so I opened another door at random and stepped in, sealing it behind me. I heard two thuds as they hit the door, causing me to smile in triumph. When I realized I was back in the beginning to the Department of Mysteries, I sunk to the floor with relief. Looking around, I desperately hoped to see that the others had made it back here unharmed. But alas, I was the only one.
I sighed and stood up, getting ready to rejoin the fray when I heard a soft noise behind me. And then another, and another. Five soft pops! interrupted the silence. I turned around quickly, my wand drawn, and nearly collapsed in relief when I saw who was standing behind me. Without warning, I ran at Remus and Sirius, wrapping them both in tight hugs.
"There's no time for that," Moody said gruffly. "Lead us to Potter!"
Feeling much happier now that Kingsley, Tonks, Moody, Remus, and Sirius were there, I led the way back into the circular room. Once we figured out which room everyone was in, Moody decided we should split up. Sirius, Remus, and I entered through one door to the room with the veil, and Tonks, Moody, and Kingsley entered through the one closest to it. Without hesitating, the five members of the Order started attacking Death Eaters.