The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Seventy-two: A Good Summer

I let out a little squeal of happiness when I saw my scores. They were (almost) all very good, with a few less than pleasing marks. But I didn't let those get me down. These kinds of scores, I knew, would mean a reward from my mom. Which, of course, meant shopping! Don't get me wrong, I'm not super girly all the time, but I do love getting new shoes. And with my scores, I was so getting a new pair of shoes for school. I once again glanced at the results.
Astronomy: E
Care of Magical Creatures: E
Charms: O
Defense Against the Dark Arts: O
Divination: P
Herbology: E
History of Magic: A
Potions: O
Transfiguration: O
"Riley? Are those your scores?" my mom asked, coming up behind me.
"Yes! I did awesome! Except in History of Magic and Divination, but those classes suck and no one understands them anyways. Here, look." I handed the parchment to her. She read it over carefully, looking like she was contemplating. Then, she looked up at me and grinned.
"I'd say this calls for a bit of special shopping when we go to get your school things."
"Yes!" I grinned, already picturing in my head what I wanted.
As the weeks passed, I continued to write letters to Draco, although the closer to the end of summer we got, the more he grew distant again. I sighed, having known this would happen. In front of people, he refused to be anything but a bastard. I was also pretty sure there was something weighing down on his mind.
Finally, about a week before school started, we headed to Diagon Alley for my school things and my new shoes I was determined to get. Not just any new shoes, though. These were black suede stiletto boots that came up just over the knees and, wonderfully, had a spell put on them so they didn't hurt your feet. In short, they were gorgeous and unpainful. Exactly the kind of heels I wanted. (There was also rumor that they had some sort of spell on them to make the wearer irresistible to people of their preferred sex, but that was probably just silly talk.)
While I was waiting on some new robes, Draco and his mom walked in. As soon as we saw each other, we looked away, and an awkward silence ensued. Draco's mom was staring at my mom as if looking at something gross she'd found stuck to the bottom of her shoe. I narrowed my eyes slightly at her but didn't do anything. Starting a fight with my ex-boyfriend's mom didn't seem like a good idea.
"Draco," I said after awhile. "Have a good summer?"
"Better than yours," he answered, giving my mom a sneer. My mom was looking at some robes further in the back of the shop, and his mom went to look at some on the other side, so they were both out of earshot now.
"Okay, see, we went over this. Do you want raisins? Really?"
"You can't do anything to me," he hissed. "You're underage and in public."
"True. But guess what I'm hiding in my bra."
"Why are you talking to me about your undergarments, Carson?" he drawled.
"Because I have a pocket knife in there, and I'm not afraid to stab you."
That silenced him, and he gave my chest a rather apprehensive look. Madame Malkin walked over then, smiling at me. "You're all done, dear," she said. She was holding a package out to me. I smiled and thanked her, leaving the shop without casting Draco a second glance.
"Well, he was pleasant," my mom said after a minute.
"Ugh, his mom's such a spoiled little snot! No wonder he's such a prat."
She simply chuckled softly and led me away, heading into the most brilliant shop I'd ever seen. Weasley's Wizard Wheezes was impossible to miss, with its bright colors and flashy signs. With a laugh, I rushed inside, eager to see Fred and George again. The place was packed with people, most of them Hogwarts students. When I saw Fred and George, I made my way to their side.
"Riley!" Fred said happily, pulling me into a hug.
"Fred!" I hugged him eagerly back.
"Riley!" George repeated, also pulling me into a hug.
"George!" I exclaimed, hugging him. "This place is amazing! You two are absolute geniuses!"
They both grinned under my praise. I glanced around, realizing I'd left my mom behind with all the bags, but she just smiled at me and waved me away when she saw me looking for her.
"Come on," George said.
"We'll give you the grand tour," Fred finished.
They showed me around, pointing out all kinds of brilliant creations and inventions. Occasionally, they would slip things into my pockets, refusing to let me pay for anything. I was a fellow trickster and partner in crime, so they said I shouldn't have to pay for inspiration.
After awhile, I saw Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny show up, so I went over to them eagerly. Hermione, Ginny, and I talked for awhile, doing girl things like gushing over my new boots when I pulled them out of their package to show them off, discussing who was looking cute these days and who wasn't, and other teenage girl things like that.
When suddenly no one could fine Ron, Harry, or Hermione, I guessed they'd sneaked off to do something they probably weren't supposed to, so I created a diversion. It involved 'accidentally' dropping one of the Decoy Detonators in the back room. People spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where it had run off to, creating a rather acceptable diversion. It wasn't perfect, and there would still be questions for the three, but it would help them with whatever mischief they were getting into.
Not long after, I saw the door open with no one there to open it, and three figures appeared when no one else as looking. Ron, Harry, and Hermione claimed they had been in the back all along, but no one really believed them. People let it drop, though, and no one thought to associate my diversion with their disappearance.
"So," George said, coming up behind me. "Sirius Black, eh?" He waggled his eyebrows at me, grinning.
I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Ron?" He nodded. "He really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. Then again, I guess it's not much of a secret anymore. Most of the Order knows anyway. That's how I convinced them to let me join early. I had been in the first Order, so I talked my way into the second."
"Clever," he said with a smile.
"Is it weird?" I asked, absently chewing on my finger nail.
"A bit. But pretty cool too."
"Yes, that it is. It's a bit weird for me, too."
"Roxanne's a pretty name."
"I agree. It's one of my favorite's that I've had."
"Riley? Ready to go?" My mom was standing near the door.
"Coming, Mom," I called. "Well, I guess I'll see you around. I think I'm going to The Burrow for Christmas, so you should make an appearance."
"Definitely," he promised with a smile.
I waved in farewell to all of my friends and left, the now very close start of the year making me eager and anxious. I wondered what the new year would have in store, as far as joys and pains went. I was certain the joys would be great, though.