The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Eighty-five: Bad News

In early January, I decided to make amends with everyone that hated me. Namely, Pansy and Draco. Although technically Draco didn't hate me, he just didn't particularly want anything to do with me. Either way, I decided to try and get a bit closer to them. I wanted no bad blood between me and anyone else if I was going to die soon.
With Pansy, this proved to be rather difficult. Seeing as she was a bigger bitch than me, she wasn't very keen on the thought of being buddies with me. Anytime I tried to talk to her, she would rudely tell me to piss off before walking away. Deciding she just wasn't worth my time, I gave up on her and moved on to Draco.
"We should be friends again," I said to him late one night as we were both sitting in the Slytherin common room.
"Technically we've never really been friends. I was nice to you when I was trying to date you. That's about it."
"Okay, fine. Then we should be friends."
"Why?"
"Because if you and I team up against evil, we'd be unstoppable!"
"Give me a real reason, Carson."
"Because we work well together. We both have bad attitudes, we both find creative ways to entertain ourselves, and we're both smart. Sounds like a good friendship to me."
"Are you just doing this because you'll probably be dead in two weeks and you want someone to turn to before it happens?"
"No, I'm doing it because I'll probably be dead in two weeks so there's no point in me not being friends with everyone. I should live this life to the fullest while I still have it right?"
"I suppose."
"So, are we friends now?"
"I suppose," he repeated.
"Great. Then as your friends, I feel obligated to let you know that no one likes you. You're very depressing. I mean, come on. I could be on the verge of dying, and I'm more cheerful than you are."
"Butt out of my business, Riley. What other people think of me doesn't bother me."
"So what does bother you?"
"You bother me."
"Well someone's cranky today! My apologies for being interested in your life."
"My life doesn't concern you. It would be best if you remained uninterested."
"Why?"
"Because it's none of your business."
"When has that ever stopped me?"
He sighed deeply. "Good point."
"So come on. What really bothers you? Now I'm curious."
"Potter bothers me. Granger bothers me. Weasley bothers me. Lavender Brown really bothers me. No one should be that obnoxiously love sick."
"Yeah, it is kind of gross. I wish she was mute."
"I wish she didn't attend the same school as I do."
"You're so negative all the time. What would make you happy?"
He looked at me for a long moment without answering, his gaze unreadable. "Freedom," he finally said.
"Freedom from what?"
"Freedom from certain obligations that I have."
I was going to ask him to be more specific, but the look he gave me told me to drop the subject. "Well, do you know what would make me happy?"
"A pet unicorn? Seems like the crazy kind of thing you'd enjoy."
"Yes, that would be amazing. But, no, what would make me happy is seeing you smile again. You never do anymore. Your face looks so cold most of the time, but a smile lights it up."
"Unfortunately, I'm not in a smiling mood. Try again later."
"Why do I feel like you'll say the same thing later?"
"Because I will."
I sighed softly and got up, ready for bed. I paused on my way, though, turning back to look at him. "You know, you really should try smiling more often. Because if you pretend to be happy enough, eventually you'll start to feel happy. And it all starts with smiling."
He scoffed. "There's no way that's true. But thanks for trying."
I shrugged. "It was worth a shot. Night, Draco."

The next morning, I sat down by him at breakfast. He nodded to me in greeting but otherwise ignored my presence. Ah, well. Couldn't win all the time. I started to fill my plate with food, but movement in the corner of my eye distracted me. I turned to see what had caught my attention, and was surprised to see Snape getting up and walking away from the teachers' table. It was when I saw the two men standing in the doorway to the Great Hall that I realized he was going to talk to them. They whispered to each other for a few moments, looking grim.
"Who are they?" Draco asked, noticing our visitors.
"Not sure," I answered. "But they can't be good news."
Snape glanced away from the two men, looking straight at me. When he continued to hold eye contact, I took that as my cue to go over to them. I walked slowly, wondering what two strangers could have to say to Snape that involved me. When I finally reached his side, he pulled me out of the Great Hall, letting the doors fall shut behind us.
"Should we leave, then?" one of the men asked Snape. He merely nodded, so they both turned and walked away.
"What's going on?" I asked.
He looked down at me, a solemn expression now in his eyes. "Riley, your mother has died," he said softly.
I immediately stopped breathing, stopped thinking, stopped being. I just stopped. Nothing could have prepared me for those four world-shattering words. I felt like everything inside of me had simply ceased to be, unable to deal with Snape's news. Slowly, I fell to the ground, my body shaking uncontrollably.
"I had more time," I whispered, mostly to myself. "I had more time."
"There's more. There was a note found with her, if you want to read it."
I nodded once, not looking at him. He placed the note into my hands.
Numbly, I read it. It was only one line: "Who said I had to follow the rules? -Dove"