I Love the Way That She Breathes

Save Me, Prince Charming

The days of summer continued on like that. Ronnie would sneak into my house once my parents would go to work, we would either go back to sleep, go out, or just lie in bed and talk. My sister, Samantha, would volunteer to watch our baby sisters, who were four and six, but that wasn't unusual, because she was very shy, so she didn't have that many friends, despite the fact that she was a sweetheart. Sometimes, when Ronnie had something to do, or was too hungover to come over that early, I would help her with the babies. But now, Samantha had started her junior year in high school, and in about a week, I was starting community college. Leia, my four year old sister was in pre-school, and my six year old sister, Bridgette was was in first grade. So now, by eight in the morning, my house was completely empty.

I heard a knock at the window, and I rolled over to see Ronnie sitting in the tree directly outside of my bedroom window. I just shook my head and rolled over.

Ronnie and I had gotten in an argument last night, and in my anger, I went to bed and forgot to unlock the window. We had gotten in a fight because when he promised to be with me last night, he was actually at a show he refused to tell me about. He knocked louder and I flipped him off over my shoulder.

I heard him groan loudly, "Norah, let me in the fucking house!" he shouted.

I shook my head, staying put.

"Norah, your neighborhood is gonna hear me and see me in this tree, and then what? You'll be in big fucking trouble."

I groaned and got out of bed. I unlocked the window and he climbed through.

"I'll tell my dad that you're a crazy stalker that won't leave me alone."

He wrapped his arms around me, "You'd never see me again, then."

I crossed my arms, "That might not be such a bad thing right now."

He sighed, "Babe, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the show. Please forgive me."

I tried not to look at him because I knew his lower lip was in that irresistible pout that I always gave in to.

"Look at me, Norah," he said.

I shook my head, still looking at his chest.

"Please?"

"If I look at you then I'll forgive you," I said, "And I don't wanna."

Ronnie chuckled, "Come on, baby,"

I shook my head. I felt his lips press against my neck and jawline repeatedly.

"Ronnie," I whispered.

"Just forgive me," he huskily whispered against my neck.

I threaded my fingers in his hair, keeping his head on my neck, "No."

"Then kiss me?" he asked, licking the spot he had been sucking on, causing me to press my body to his.

"Fine," I whispered.

He grabbed my chin and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his tongue made its way into my mouth to tangle with mine. He picked me up and dropped me on the bed, our lips connected still. Suddenly, my door was flung open and my father stormed in.

"Norah Raine," he breathed, "You are so dead."

I clung to Ronnie, who I'm pretty sure had stopped breathing, as my father advanced toward us. He grabbed the back of Ronnie's shirt and threw him off of me. Ronnie landed against the wall.

"Ronnie!" I screamed, and scrambled up, and attempted to get over to him. My father grabbed my arm and made me sit down on my bed.

"Don't move," he growled.

I could see Ronnie breathing heavily and cradling his ribs. I started tearing up, seeing him in pain.

"How long has this," my father paused, "I don't even know if I should call you a boy or a man. How long has this boy," he spat the word, "been coming here to see you, Norah?"

I looked into Ronnie's eyes, and he nodded. He was telling me to tell the truth.

"A month," I whispered.

His eyes narrowed, "A month?! How long have you known him?!" he screamed.

I looked at Ronnie, who nodded again, "A month," I repeated.

"You've known this scumbag a month and you're already behaving like this!?" he screamed.

"Don't call him a scumbag!" I yelled, "He's not a scumbag!"

"Look at him," my father sneered, "Long ratty hair, tattoos, piercings, does he have a job?!" he looked over at Ronnie, "Got a job, boy?"

Ronnie shook his head, "No, sir. I recently quit to focus on music," he admitted quietly.

"Music," my father sneered, "No career choice for a boy who wants to date my daughter. So, have you been using her for money?"

He shook his head, "She hasn't spent a dime on me, sir."

My father scoffed, "Get out. I never want to see you here again. And as for you," he growled, turning toward me, "You have lost your freedom, little girl. You will go to school, and work. That's it. I will call your boss and your teachers daily and make sure you've gotten there. I will call the house phone to make sure you're at the house at the time you're supposed to be here."

"Dad!" I yelled, "I'm 18, you can't do that to me!"

"You still live here," he said, his voice calmer now, "I can do as I please. Until you have somewhere else to go, you will follow these rules."

"Should I go now?" Ronnie asked, biting his lip.

"Yes, boy," my dad growled, "But before you go, answer this question. How old are you, boy?"

Ronnie scratched the back of his neck, "I'll be twenty two in December, sir."

He growled, "Get out!"

Ronnie scrambled out the door, and when he left, I started crying. My dad looked at me in disgust.

"You better stay in this room until you have work or school. I'll send one of your sisters up with food for you," he said, then turned to the door and began leaving my room.

"Dad?"

"What." It wasn't even a question, he said it so harshly.

"How'd you know?" I asked.

He turned slowly and looked at me, "Mrs. O'Leary saw a boy in the tree next to your window, thought there was a burglar. She told me that he was at your window and I came home because I was worried that someone was harming my daughter."

With that, he left. I curled up into a ball and cried.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next few weeks continued in the exact fashion my dad had described. Not being able to see Ronnie was killing me. The only form of contact I had with Ronnie was Sasha. She told me that he was in the same shape I was, which killed me.

I walked into Photo I and saw a note sitting on my chair. I looked at Sasha, who smirked. I picked the note up and sat down, opening it.

Norah,

Being apart from you is killing me. I know we haven't been together long, but I know we're both in this for the long haul. Sasha told me that everything your dad told you the last time I saw you was true, so I have an idea. For the past few months, I've been looking for an apartment. I recently got a job at a record label, working as their bitch, basically, so that I'd be able to support you. I still have some money from my mom's child support and my last job. A few days before we were separated, I put a down payment on an apartment. I'm moved in and everything.

The thing is, my bed is too big for just me. I know you want to leave your house. Here's your opportunity.

The guys and I have a plan. All you have to do is pack all your stuff and be ready by midnight. Tell Sasha if you wanna do this.

Love,
Ronnie


I looked at Sasha, who nodded.

"Robert and I are moving in, too, and Max and Saskia," she said.

I smiled, "What about Bryan?"

She laughed, "He doesn't want to move in yet. He's not ready to leave home, but they told him the couch is always open for him."

I giggled, "I wanna do it."

She pulled out her phone and I watched as she texted Ronnie.

It's on, Romeo.

I giggled and hugged her, "Thanks, Sash, I appreciate this."

She hugged me back, "I know."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stuffed my final duffel bag at 11:55. Samantha was helping me. She had collected empty boxes from her job because apparently, she was in on it, too. She was currently sneaking the boxes down the stairs and against the house, since they had breakable things in them. At 11:59, she got a text from Ronnie.

"Oh!" she exclaimed.

She raced out of the room quietly, only to return with my Sidekick in her hand.

"You pay for it," she explained, "It's not right for them to take it."

I smiled and hugged her tightly, "Thanks, Sam."

She giggled and we ran over to the window and saw Robert and Max grabbing the boxes and taking them to the van. Sam and I grabbed my bags of clothes and tossed them down. Ronnie and Bryan caught them and tossed them to Robert and Max.

"Anything else?" Ronnie whisper-yelled.

I shook my head and turned to Samantha.

"Go," she whispered, "Before they wake up."

"Norah?"

We looked at the door and saw Leia standing at my bedroom door. She looked around my empty room.

"Where your stuff?" she asked.

Samantha and I shushed her, and I motioned for her to come over to me. She ran over and I picked her up.

"You know how Daddy makes me stay home?" I asked, quietly.

She nodded silently.

"Well, I'm moving in with Sasha," I said.

Her eyes watered, "Norah, no leave!"

"Sshh, baby, I'll still come visit you whenever I can," I whispered.

She nodded, "You not far?"

I shook my head, "Not far at all. And if you ever want to talk to me, ask Sammy to call me on her cell phone, and you can talk to me, okay? I'll always answer for you."

She hugged me tightly, and I kissed her hair.

"I love you, baby, okay?"

She nodded against my neck, "Tell Bridgette I love her, okay?"

She nodded again and got down, then hid her face in Samantha's leg. I shook my head and hugged Samantha.

"Just text me if it's Leia who wants to talk to me before you call, okay?"

She nodded, "Okay."

I smiled and looked out the window. Everyone was in the van except Ronnie. I climbed out of the window and latched onto the tree. Then, I maneuvered down the tree until I was close enough to jump, then I jumped. Ronnie grabbed my hand and we bolted to the van. We hopped in the back with my boxes and bags, and Max shut us in, before getting in the side and Omar sped down the street.

Ronnie didn't say a word to me, just grabbed my cheeks and kissed me. I lied down as best I could and brought him on top of me. His hand went from my side to my hip, then to the front, unbuttoning my jeans. He harshly pulled away and glared at someone.

"Sorry, dude," Max said with a grin, "Can't have you sexing up your girl with the rest of us here."

I buttoned my jeans and sat on Ronnie's lap, who's arms went around my waist immediately.

"I missed you so much," he whispered in my ear.

I smiled and grabbed the back of his head, pressing my lips to his. His hands on my hips turned to him gripping my hips, and my other hand went to his crotch. He breathed a moan into my mouth, and I bit his lip.

"Wait till we get back," he growled in my ear lowly, "To our apartment."

I grinned innocenty, "I can't wait."