Status: Being Slowly Written

Peace, Love, and... Baksetball

Practice Makes Perfect

Swish!

"Hey, nice shot!" Shane called to me, grinning.

"Get outta here," I said giggling and pushing him away.

"What? It was a compliment!" Shane said, holding his arms up and pretending to be offended.

I just rolled my eyes and laughed a little.

He ran behind me and slapped my blonde ponytail, causing it to do a full circle and then sway back and forth.

Shane picked the ball up and threw it to me in a firm chest pass. Quickly I went up and shot it, a jumper in the middle of the lane. The ball swished through the net and made a popping noise. I saw Shane nod and grin at me. Then he picked up the ball and passed it to me again.

We practiced for about another twenty minutes before we decided to head over to my house for lunch. On the way there we dropped the keys to the gym off at Coach Turner's house since she lived just down the street from me. Karrie Turner was my coach for junior high basketball, but she is also the high school coach, so at least I'd have the same coach.

When Coach Turner answered the door I smiled, handed her the keys and said, "Thanks for letting us borrow the keys, Coach!"

She grinned at me and said, "Anytime, Shayla. Have you found out if you've been accepted for your camp yet?"

"No but I'm supposed to be getting a letter any day now," I replied, excitement was boiling up in my veins with the thought of getting to go to that camp.

"Just come by here when you find out," she told me.

"Believe me, she will," Shane said, smiling as he poked my shoulder.

"Alright, well I guess we should go eat lunch now. Bye, Coach!" I said, starting to walk away.

"See you guys later," Coach said as she closed the door.

We raced down the street to my house and Shane beat me by about a foot, but that's okay. I opened the door and the scent of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup overwhelmed me. When my mom came home for her lunch break she always fixed Shane and I something, knowing we'd be hungry.

"Hiya mom!" I called as I slipped off my black and yellow nike shox at the front door. I walked further into the house and turned into the kitchen, getting two bottled waters out of the fridge for Shane and I.

"Hey Shayla, have fun in the gym?" my mother asked as she used a spatula to flip a sandwich over on the griddle.

"Always!" I replied, a huge smile on my face.

"It was great!" Shane also answered.

"Have we got the letter yet?" I asked her, knowing she would know I was talking about a letter of acception.

"I don't know. I haven't checked the mail yet," my mom replied with a shrug.

"Alright," I said, sighing and heading down the hallway for my room.

Shane was about half a step behind me when my mom said, "Shane, can you come here for a second?"

I turned to look at him with a puzzled expression on my face and he just shrugged at me before heading back to the kitchen.