She's Got You High.

Throwing punches at ocean waves.

The day after my birthday wasn't the most pleasant of things.

The guys had thrown a party like I had suspected. And instead of dodging it like we usually did, Garrett and I actually hung out with everyone, chilled, and had some fun. Uptight Garrett was gone for the night, as we danced to the music and sang our hearts out. He still didn't drink, however. It was a rare side of him that I had barely seen before. But it ended too soon.

We had another day off. Probably a good idea, considering the amount and volume of the hangovers in the van. Garrett was driving, and I was in the passengers seat - the next show was in Jacksonville, and while the other bands on the tour were heading straight there, we decided to take a detour into Daytona Beach. I had never seen the ocean before. Even if it was February and it would be a bit cold, I wanted to do it. The guys wanted to do it, so Tim begrudgingly okay-ed it.

I glanced over at the GPS on the dashboard - we still had another 2 hours before we would get there. We were already running late, since everybody refused to get out of bed in the morning. Garrett looked over at me quickly, before returning his glance to the road. It was quiet in the van, before Garrett's voice cut in.

"You know what?"

"What."

"I'm really glad you came out with us." A smile graced his features a moment later, and I could see his hand reaching for my own. I grabbed it, and he gave a light squeeze.

"My pleasure, best friend." I said, with a small smirk on my face. Garrett let go a moment later, his hand returning to the steering wheel. I trusted him to get us there in one piece, so I dozed off in my seat, until I felt a hand on my shoulder, shaking me awake.

Garrett didn't even say anything, just pointed his finger towards my window. I sat up, and looked up. What I saw made my day.

Ocean water, just as the sun was beginning to set. I could see the waves, and I could smell the salt water faintly through the crack in the window. I swear I was grinning from ear to ear, as I opened the door and rushed out of the van, running as fast as my feet could carry me. It wasn't until I made it all the way down to the water, and my feet were in in the water, did I realize that the beach was deserted. And for good reason - the water was freezing. I stepped back immediately, shaking to the bone.

Garrett stood beside me a moment later, laughing loudly.

"Did you forget what time of the year it is, June?" He asked, as I pushed him away from me.

"Fuck off, loser!" It only made Garrett laugh even harder, as most of the other guys joined us on the shore. Tim handed out card keys to everyone, mumbling under his breath, "This place is a goddamn ghost town..." And while most of the guys went back to the hotel, to get away from the cold water, Garrett and I stayed out, waiting until the sun set into the distance. His arms around my shoulders, pulling me to him, keeping me warm and safe. Finally however, we made our way inside.

Pat was already passed out by the time we got into our room. The TV was on Cartoon Network, with re-runs of Chowder playing mindlessly.

"I'm gonna go next door and see what the guys are getting for dinner, mmkay?" Garrett said, ruffling my hair, before leaving me alone, with a snoring Pat. This was the definition of a great night.

It took about an hour, but finally I heard a key being inserted into the door, and Garrett walked in with two bags of Taco Bell. He punched Pat in the knee, who woke up immediately and cursed him out, but stopped when he saw the food sitting on the table.

"Garrett, I take it all back, I lo-" Pat started, but was cut off.

"You called me a whore!" Garrett yelled, pretending to cry. "I prefer the term "escort"..."

I was trying so hard not to laugh, as I dug through one of the plastic bags, finally finding my tacos. I sat back on the bed, and quickly devoured them, Garrett beside me with a chalupa. The rest of the night passed by quickly and quietly, with casual conversation coming and going between Garrett and myself. I eventually passed out while watching Adult Swim, hoping and praying for a peaceful night of sleep...

---

But just when I thought I had escaped all my troubles that I wanted to leave back at home, I was bit in the ass. That same nightmare that had been haunting me for months decided to say hello. I woke up quickly and suddenly, only to become aware of my surroundings a moment later. Garrett had his arms holding me close to him, his chin resting on the top of my head. I could hear quiet snores coming from him, and even louder ones coming from Pat, who was next to us in the other bed.

I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. I sighed, sitting up, disentangling myself from Garrett's grip. Our hotel room felt freezing - probably because I was sweating like crazy. And with two sleepy boys, I didn't know how I was going to get myself back to where they were.

I sat there for what felt like hours, even though I knew it was only minutes passing by. I tried to think of what I could do - go out in the hallway, take a walk - but this late at night? According to the alarm clock on the table, it was only 2:53 AM. I'd rather not get raped.

And then it hit me, as my eyes glanced over at Garrett's cellphone laying on the table. There was one person who's offer for a "distraction" still remained standing...and it was about time I took them up on it.

---

It only took less then a minute for John to text me back. I waited outside of his hotel room, constantly glancing down at Garrett's phone. His wallpaper was the two of us from last night - smiling, with stupid birthday hats on our heads. For once, I looked genuinely happy, and not just smiling because there was a camera probably shoved in my face. I looked alive.

My thoughts were cut off when the door in front of me opened. The tall, skinny figure that now stood in front of me looked a bit tired, but offered me a smile. I felt under dressed, as he was still in a pair of skinny jeans, and his familiar black hoodie was halfway zipped up, barely hiding his bare chest. My messy hair, smeared makeup, and PJ's made me feel embarrassed and ridiculous.

"You okay, kiddo?" He asked, as I nodded. He began to walk, and I was confused - I thought we would just sit outside our rooms and talk for a bit.

"Aren't you coming?" He looked back at me with a smirk on his face, and I quickly ran down to where he was, as we waited for the next elevator to come to our floor. A few minutes later, and we were down by the beach - the last place I had thought of to go. His hand had found my own sometime during the short trip in the elevator, and we were now walking slowly through the cold sand, listening to the waves crash, the smell of salt water filling up our noses. It was quiet, content. I liked it like this. I liked feeling like this, my heart pounding steady like a drum. Security was flooding through my veins. Already I was feeling a million times better.

Eventually we sat down by the water - where the wet sand connected with the dry. The waves were going in and out slowly, creating a peaceful soundtrack to the night. John looked over at me, his grip on my hand tightening.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong? You sure you're alright?" I looked down at my feet - suddenly I wasn't so sure about this. I had never told anyone about the nightmare. It was one of those things I wanted to keep to myself, lock away in my mind.

"I...It's always..." I started, but then I choked up. I tried to continue, but I lost my voice. Words weren't coming out - instead, I could feel myself tearing up. I was never emotional like this - I was always sparse with words and feelings. I was sure at this point John thought I was crazy, delusional.

But he surprised me again, like he always did. He pulled his hand away from my own, and instead wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. I cried on his shoulder - what else could I do? I was full out bawling. But even then, it died down to a few quiet sobs, and then to nothing at all. And the whole time, John's mouth was at my ear, whispering the smallest things. "It's alright, Junie, it's fine, you'll be fine. Sssshhh..." He kept me pressed close to him long after I had stopped crying. I refused to look him in the eye - I probably looked like I needed an exorcist. The occasional sniffle joined in chorus with the waves, and I was tired now, tuckered out from what just happened.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled, surprised at the sound of my own voice. It was the truth - I didn't mean to be baggage for John, or to make him get up this early just to listen to a girl cry.

"If you're not ready yet, you're not ready. Take your time, Junie. I'll be around whenever you want to spill." He said, and suddenly laid back onto the sand, taking me down with him. I could feel all the individual grains start to infiltrate my hair, already all over my legs and back. By instinct, I moved my head closer, to lay on John's shoulder, my hand grazing his collarbone, just over his heart. I closed my eyes, content with everything, at least for the moment. I was drowsy, beginning to fall asleep again, when I felt John shift, and sit up. I opened my eyes, and he was staring down at me, curiously.

"What?" I asked, as John continued to stare, a smile now forming on his face. He didn't say anything, but he leaned over me, his eyes connecting with my own. My heart fell in the pit of my stomach. This didn't feel right.

I quickly scrambled to get up off my feet, brushing as much sand as I could from my back, before I started to walk back to the hotel, quickly.

"June, wait!" I heard John yell, and I turned around to see him running towards me. "Did I do something?" he asked, once he got next to me. I shook my head, quickly lying.

"I'm just tired, really...Thanks for letting me use you as a human tissue." I said, as his hand found my own. I was too tired to pull away from his grasp, and we again fell silent on the elevator ride up. When we got back to my room, John stopped, holding both of my hands at this point, looking down at me.

"You know, I'm here whenever you need me." He started. "If you just need to cry, or bitch, or talk about how nasty rooming with Pat can be..." I laughed, and he smiled, perfectly white teeth showing.

"Sweet dreams, June." he whispered, and I could feel his head moving closer, his lips making contact with my forehead. I could feel my cheeks turning bright red. This was a sober kiss, unlike last night on stage. This was John being serious. He let go of my hands, and both of us went our respective ways, shoving keys into the card hole, and both entering pitch black rooms.

Garrett hadn't moved much from when I left him. I sighed, crawling into bed on the opposite side of him. I couldn't stop thinking about John, about tonight. I was getting far closer with him then I had ever expected, or wanted. And I didn't know if that was a good or a bad thing. I closed my eyes, trying to block all thoughts out, the distant sound of the ocean waves lulling me to sleep...
♠ ♠ ♠
June's PJ's: here!

GUYS. GUYS. GUYS. I log in to Mibba this morning, and what do I see? 10 stars! Seriously, thank you so so so so much. :) From the bottom of my heart, I never thought I'd get there. <3

Leave me comments, subscribe, be awesome. I promise you, things start picking up in the next chapter!