You're the Talk of the Town

ten.

“Gabe, what’s the answer?” Mrs. Rodney asked the next morning in English.

“Paris killed Achilles because he knew the marriage between him and Polixena, meant that he would have to give up Helen.” He answered, looking at the teacher. He felt all of the eyes on him as he answered.

Blaise wasn’t in class and that made him extremely antsy.

The class dragged on and was soon over. He didn’t want to go to math. He didn’t want to be at school.

“Have you seen Joan?” Johnny asked, coming up to him. He shook his head and sighed. They were both gone.

“Blaise isn’t here either.” He said, and then opened his locker.

“Blaise hasn’t missed a day of school since our freshmen year when she broke her ankle. And even then she came the day after. Something’s wrong.” He said, looking around the crowded hallway. Gabe grew more curious. He didn’t want to admit that he was also worried.

“When does Hugh leave to go to college?” Gabe suddenly asked, wondering when he would be able to go back to disliking Blaise. He didn’t like worrying about people.

“A month.”

“Why the hell is he leaving in November? Don’t most colleges start back up in January?” he asked, turning to his friend.

“Why do you think?” Johnny said sarcastically. Gabe suddenly felt like an idiot so he didn’t answer. Of course he was leaving early.

“I’m going to see Joan after school. You should come.” Johnny said, starting to walk off.

“I don’t know…” he said, looking at his locker.

“Okay. Just let me know.”

Gabe shut his locker and walked to math. He knew he shouldn’t go. He knew he would not be welcomed by Blaise. But Joan liked him, he thought. Who knows, he’d have to see.

------------------------

“Blaise, what’s wrong?” she heard her mothers voice from outside her bedroom door. She didn’t call back. Instead she just continued to lie in her bed, curled up like a ball. She didn’t want to speak, let alone move.

“Blaise, honey open the door.” He mother said, her voice more assertive this time.

Blaise stayed silent. She felt horrible. She had never felt this bad in her life. She never felt more dirty and used. She hated this feeling. She knew she was missing school, which she hadn’t done since freshmen year and this killed her. She knew she should have let Joan take her home that night. But she didn’t, and this is where she ended up.

“Blaise-“

“Go away!” Blaise finally said, using all her strength. She had not slept since Saturday, and her body was finally feeling the effects. She hadn’t eaten anything and cried every single minute. Things had never been this bad with Hugh. He never once laid a hand on her, but something on Saturday had changed. When he took her to his house, he had hit her, more than once. Her arms were bruised and her back had a cut in it. This had happened after he had take advantage of her, after he had had more to drink.

Blaise heard her mom sigh. She could only imagine how much she was worrying her mother. But right now, she didn’t care.

“Joan is downstairs.” Her mother said, and then she heard footsteps walking away. She didn’t want to see Joan. She went to her yesterday and told her not to worry, but Joan had probably realized she should be worried. Blaise didn’t know how she had looked on Sunday.

Blaise continued to lay there and stare at her lime green wall. She didn’t know what to do about Hugh. He had called once, Sunday night, but Blaise ignored his call. He was bound to get angry and come over. She didn’t want that.

“God Damnit Blaise, open the fucking door.” Joan said, pounding her fist against the wood.

Blaise ignored her and closed her eyes. She wanted to sleep now, she wanted to feel nothing. She wanted to dream. Dream of being happy, loved, and in control of her life.

The last thing she heard before she fell asleep was the sound of a truck pulling up outside.

Then she was dreaming.

--------------------------------------------

“What are you doing here?” Joan said as Johnny and Gabe appeared at her doorstep. She looked worn out.

“We were making sure you were okay.” Johnny said, looking at her. She sighed and Gabe watched her, something was wrong.

“I’m okay. It’s Blaise. She won’t come out of her room, and her mother is worried.” Joan said, stepping aside to let them both in her house. They walked in and were faced with a vast living room. He didn’t pay much attention to his surroundings because he was listening to Joan.

“I was going to go over there in a minute. To try and help…” She said, walking away from them. They followed her.

“What happened?” Gabe found himself asking. They both stopped and looked at him.

“I never knew why you two hated each other so much. You guys have so many things in common it’s scary.” Joan said, looking Gabe in the eyes. He turned away from her stare and looked to the red leather couch.

“She came here yesterday and she told me everything was fine and we just talked about the party. You know, gossiped. But she looked horrible. Like she hadn’t slept, and she had been crying. I didn’t ask her about it because I figured she would talk to me about anything that was bothering her. When she was leaving she went to tie her shoe and her shirt pulled up and I saw a gash on her back. It was so wide and long and looked like someone had cut her with something. I told her and she just shrugged it off, and then went home.” Joan said, looking between the guys in front of her.

“I think Hugh hurt her. I mean hit her. I don’t know for sure, but that is my hunch. I am beyond worried.” She said, looking to the floor.

Gabe just stood there, taking everything in. He didn’t know what to think or how to feel.

“I’m going there. And I think I should just go. I don’t want her to be mad for having you two there.” Joan said quietly. Gabe knew the real meaning of what she said. She didn’t want to bring them because of Gabe. She knew that would upset her.

“Okay, we’ll go.” Johnny said, turning and walking to the door. Joan and Gabe stood there looking at each other.

“I know we ‘hate’ each other, but I don’t want anything bad to happen to her again, Joan. You know that.” Gabe said, and then looked at Joan one last time before turning and going with Johnny.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww snaps sun.
Two updates in one night.

Please enjoy this.
This story is my baby.