Status: This story is a product of my boredom.

Normality

Prologue

“… A representative of Conner’s has said the star will be taking a break…”

She tuned it out. Why did airports insist on showing TV programmes in the lounges? Next to her, she could hear two older women talking.

“It’s such a shame what’s happened to that girl.”

“Yes, she seems quite lovely, not like the other Hollywood types.”

She sunk lower in her chair, tipping her cap further forward, feeling self-conscious. She brought her feet up to rest on the chair, drawing her knees to her chest. Adelaide played with her shoeless, trying to switch her mind off the chatter of the TV but couldn’t. They were playing an old interview.

“And how does a girl like you stay grounded? What’s the secret?”

“My Mom mostly. She always honest, brutally so, and has taught me to not expect things like special treatment, or adoration or anything. She always reminds me that I’m extremely lucky to have the life that I do, and to never take a moment of it for granted.”

“You’re lucky to have her then aren’t you?”

“Yeah, she’s my best friend.”


She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping it would go away. Didn’t they have anything else to talk about? Why were people so obsessed to know these things? Couldn’t they shut up for two seconds and talk about something else… a war or something? Surely there was something more interesting than this.

“Flight 264 to Sydney is now boarding.”

Adelaide had never been so thankful. She pulled her boarding pass and passport from her bag and stood up. With a quick re-adjustment of her cap, she moved into the line. She knew no one recognised her. But it still felt like they were staring. Perhaps it was because she was so used to stares that no matter where she was she felt phantom eyes on her. Or, perhaps it was because for the avid celebrity follower she was a real interest right now.

She reached the front of the queue and handed her passport to the woman.

“Sweetheart,” She said. “You’re going to have to take that cap off for a moment.”

“All the way?” She pleaded with her eyes. If she took the cap off all the way… it would only take one person to recognise her. She didn’t want that. She wanted to be left alone.

“Just some of the way.” The woman said sympathetically.

So she did. Adelaide tilted the cap back, and smiled half-heartedly at the woman, who in turn gave her a sympathetic smile and scanned her ticket.

“Good luck.” She said.

“Thank you.” Adelaide answered, her voice cracking a little.

She found her seat quickly enough. It was a window, near the front of the plane. She was thankful. Once everyone was on she could take the cap off, curl up and sleep for the twenty-hour flight. That was what she wanted. She was just wanted a long uninterrupted sleep. She wanted to forget everything. What had happened, what was going to happen, and the fact that the media was going to have to put their two cents in where it wasn’t wanted.

Perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a story I wasn't going to post until I finished it. But halfway in and I'm kind of bored so I figured what the heck. If people are actually interested it might inspire me to keep going. Who knows really?