Status: In Progress...

The Way to Believe

Chapter Two

Nine hours later, I was in my room, writing a report for journalism. I was procrastinating again. I should have been doing French homework, but I wasn’t. I was waiting for a call from my best friend, Samantha. She had Facebooked me about something she had wanted to tell me over the phone. But it had been an hour and no call; I was starting to worry. Usually she called right away; this was getting weird.

Bring!!!

I jumped right out of my skin. “Oh my God.”

Bring!!!

“Finally,” I grumbled to myself. I reached over to my cell. It wasn’t Sami; it was my mom. I answered, “Mom?”

“Hello, Miss ---” A mans voice deep sounded. It definitely wasn’t my mother.

“Iris, um,” Shit. What was that guys name? Jared? James? John? Oh right, Josh, “Josh?”

“I’m terribly sorry, but---”

“What happened? Where’s my mom? Who are you? Why do you have her phone? What the hell is going on?” I was hyperventilating. If he had hurt my mother he was going to pay!

“I’m Sheriff Nottingham, and I am sorry to inform you but, your mother was in a car crash, and ---”

“Will she be ok???” I was scared. Mom please, oh mom.

“No she ---”

“What!?! You- You- No- No- No! No! Just NO!” I screamed into the phone.

“Is your father there, Miss?”

“No, my father is dead.” I said coldly. I don’t think the reality had really hit me yet, or maybe I just wasn’t going to let it either way, I didn’t feel a damn thing. And normally I can’t talk about my father. Which is probably why I haven’t brought him up yet. I had a father until I was 15. He was hit by lightning. And he died. Plain and simple. I still don’t think I’ve gotten over that yet. But with no parents I was feeling brave. And foolish, “Wait wasn’t there someone else in the car?”

“Yes, there was, he ran away after the crash.” That ass-hole! “I would like to know if you know who he is?”

“All I know is that his name is Josh.” I will kill the man. I swear someday, there’ll be a murder on my account.



“I’m turning 18 next month, I have a job. Please let me stay!” It was a week later and my landlord wanted me out. Obviously, he thought I’d skip out on the rent or something. I’m not that kind of person. I’m responsible, I listen, I do my chores. I have a job. Okay so it’s not the highest paying job out there. But give me a break, I am only 17. I’m still in school. “Look I won’t be here forever. Just until I graduate and move to university.”

“No I want you out by the end of the week. I’ve given you plenty of time to pack. You will be gone.” He scowled ate me and scratched his bald spot. “Now get going!”

“You know what? Fuck you.” I said and gave him the finger.

He looked affronted, “End of the day!”

“Fine!” I turned to my door went, inside and slammed it in his face. And started crying. You think that being a new orphan, people would cut you some slack. But they don’t.

I was sobbing. I felt like an idiot, but I have a right to sob, don’t I? My mother is dead. My father is dead. My best friend has disappeared off the face of the earth, and now I’m homeless. Yeah I have a right to be upset. Don’t you think?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like...