The Secrets of Emerald City

1/1

We'll stop to let the horses drink, and then we will journey back to the castle, Lady Calixta.”
SPACELord Murgab took Lady Calixta’s hand as he placed her on the ground. She was sore from ridding all day and they had stopped at an old bridge near the border of Emerald City’s forest. Lady Calixta had grown up all her life in Emerald City under the watch of Lord Murgab’s father—and of course Murgab himself. Since she was nine she’d been trained in proper manners and etiquette by the court. It was grooming really, to prepare her for marriage. A marriage—she could only assume—with Lord Murgab.
SPACE“Thank you, my lord.” She took back her hand before Murgab had a chance to place a kiss on it. She hurried to the edge of the stream to get a drink of water for herself.
SPACEWhile she was at the water’s edge drinking from the dribbling brook that flowed from deepest depths of the Emerald forest, Calixta watched Murgab from the corner of her eye. He walked downstream with the two horses: a bright chestnut mare and a gentle grey gelding. The gelding had been a gift from Lord Murgab on Calixta’s sixteenth birthday. He was a magnificent horse, tall and lean and “never once has he thrown a rider”, Murgab had assured her. He was always looking to keep her safe; it felt more like another safety restraint. He let the two horses fill their stomachs with the sweet water from the brook.
SPACECalixta watched over him carefully. She tried not to cringe each time he looked her direction with those bright copper eyes. Lord Murgab was a stout young boy with thick legs and a sturdy chest. His bow was slung across his shoulder and he kept a long sword almost twice his size in his sheath. They’d been out “hunting” all day and hadn’t caught a thing. Calixta knew Lord Murgab would never take her hunting with him, at least not real hunting like he did with his father. The two were famously known in all three kingdoms for being excellent hunters of fantastical creatures. The walls in Lord Murgab’s castle were mounted with an assortment of animal trophies: a twelve-pointed buck with golden antlers, flying monkeys, jars and vases of magical butterflies that tasted like liquid wine when you mashed them up and sprinkled them into someone’s water.
SPACEIt was partially why the brook tasted so deliciously sweet. Butterflies would land too close to the water’s edge and get swept in before they had a chance to struggle. Calixta felt a twinge of guilt after she sipped the water from her hands and pulled herself away from the brook. She sat in a lush patch of green grass near the edge of the water watching Murgab talk to the horses. She wished she could love Lord Murgab despite her disgust with his hunting habits. They’d set traps in the forest all day for little creatures. They’d nearly come upon a talking rock but Lord Murgab quickly lead them away. Rocks were not particularly dangerous, except in Emerald City. Talking rocks were magically enchanted and had only one wish: to move. If you sat around a talking rock for too long they would eventually convince you to pick them up and carry them with you. Some people in Emerald City did have talking rocks, the small kind that fit in one’s pocket and is easy to carry. But the big rocks, the powerful speaking rocks were dangerous; stories were told about their power to convince even the weakest of men to attempt to pick them up and carry them. Many men had been found dead in Emerald forest, buried underneath a talking rock. Part of their magic was persuasion.

It was a scary place, Emerald forest. But something about being out of Lord Murgab’s castle was thrilling to Calixta, and had it not pleased Calixta so much Lord Murgab would have never taken her on so many occasions.
SPACEShe could almost hear the voice inside of her screaming with delight. The smell of the sweet brook babbled at her feet, the hum of fantastical birds singing in the treetops lulled to her a soothing song. It was freedom if she ever felt it, so near to her fingertips, tasting sweet with magic and a thrill to think about the dangers waiting in the depths of the forest.
SPACEBut among those noises Calixta heard something else, a screaming. She looked around puzzled; searching for the cause of that noise. It was a musical noise like the sound of flute played two octaves higher than would be accepted as musical. If the sound had not been coming from such a small source—as Calixta discovered—it would have been strong enough to break all the glass in Lord Murgab’s wine cellar.
SPACECalixta startled at the sight she saw just above the bank of the river. Hidden in the tuffs of grass was a small human trapped in a mess of tiny ropes and braided wires. Calixta gasped when the she realized the musical sounds were coming from the tiny creature no bigger than the size of her palm. For a moment she watched the poor thing struggle against the ropes, his tiny arms were bound to his sides and he was lying flat on his back struggling like a fish pulled from the stream—gasping for air.
SPACE“There, there,” Calixta breathed lightly. Suddenly the small creatures stopped its terrible screeches and looked to Calixta. Too him, she was a giant, a scary creature with greedy hands and a cruel heart. She felt burning warmth in her heart for the small creature and haze fall over her. The moment Calixta reached out to help the poor struggling creature was the instant the high pitched flute noises started again.
SPACEAnd then Calixta retracted her hand like lightning from the creature and her senses came trickling back to her.
SPACEIn Emerald forest there are fantastical creatures such as the flying monkeys or the bucks with golden antlers and more popular among the rich are the silk weaving spiders; but there was a difference between fantastical and magical. Fantastical creatures were born with strange beauties and odd talents that made them different from the ordinary people and animals. And then there were magical creatures, such as the talking rocks that planted thoughts in your head and convinced you to do impossible feats. But none in all three kingdoms and all of Emerald City ranked more beautiful, more powerful and more precious than the secrets.
SPACEA tiny race of beautiful people with the odd grace of being extremely apt listeners; but tragically, they were a dying race, a rarity. When Calixta was nine it was uncommon to find a secret, at least a wild one roaming in the forest. You could find tame secrets all throughout the kingdom and particularly in Emerald City—their homeland. They were like toys to the people of Emerald City, bought as diaries or pocket sized companions for the lonely lords and ladies of the court. Calixta had seen secrets when she was a child but now, being seventeen, she hadn’t seen a secret in years. She’d once heard that while secrets were beautiful beyond compare and supposedly were immortal, living outside of Emerald forest weakened their immortality and often caused death in even the most powerful secrets.
SPACE“I won’t harm you,” she whispered. She knelt over the squealing secret. Even his cries of anguish sounded like a melody in Calixta’s head. “Hush,” she glanced back to Lord Murgab who was nearly done watering the horses.
SPACEWhen she glanced back she looked more carefully at the secret. His beauty was so enormous it was hard to believe it was contained all in such a small being. He had delicate, peachy skin with rosy cheeks and soft, delicate lips like rose petals. She could see, even in all his miniature features, long, golden eyelashes that matched the curly hairs on his head. He was decorated from head to toe in white linens and black knee high boots. His golden hair was adorned with feathers of magnificent colors like the ones found on fantastical singing birds. The sheer beauty of his being was radiating in cool waves that hit Calixta’s mind like the rush of the ocean’s breeze.
SPACESuddenly she got the urge to untie him, a strange feeling that was not her own. She steadied her hands around the ropes and broke them loose, fraying the ropes. The waves of the ocean were still washing over her body when Lord Murgab came walking up with the two horses.
SPACE“The horses are ready,” Lord Murgab announced. “Are you ready, my lady?”
SPACECalixta had a sudden urge to remind Lord Murgab that she was, in fact, not his lady, but the urge fizzled out when she felt the small creature jump into her palm.
SPACE“I’ll be ready in a moment’s time,” she pretended to fiddle with her dress and brush through her hair while hiding her hand behind her back—another involuntary action that had not been done by her own power. Lord Murgab acquiesced and busied himself with adjusting the saddles and making sure the horses were in pristine condition to make it back to the castle.
SPACECalixta held the secret to her face, careful not to let Lord Murgab see the beautiful creature.
SPACE“I am Nalin,” the secret spoke, his voice was even more thrilling than the constant rush of ocean that ran through Calixta when she touched him, “Prince of Emerald forest. Thank you for saving me from the trap I was ensnared in. I owe you my life, good lady.”
SPACECalixta was fascinated by the way the secret spoke. She’d never heard one talk in all her life. Mostly she watched as they listened to their masters. It was the oddest thing to hear him speak. The noises coming out of his mouth were beautiful song notes but somehow embedded deep into the musical fluidity of his voice were hidden words—and Calixta understood all of them in her mind.
SPACE“You’re not going to take me,” Nalin continued in his musical tone. “Are you?”
SPACE“Never,” she breathed out a breath of air she’d been holding in. “You’re much too beautiful to be put in a cage in the city’s castle.”
SPACENalin nodded his head in appreciation as Calixta placed him back in the tuffs of grass where she found him. The feeling of cool ocean breeze left her and she was abruptly halted when the absence of the warmth seized to be in her.
SPACE“The same could be said about you, lady.” Nalin sang.
SPACE“Lady,” Murgab called from the top of the bank, overlooking Calixta. “Are you ready to mount? The horses are becoming uneasy. I fear they are wrestles to return to the castle, we should be riding out now.”
SPACE“Of course, one moment.” She called back to him.
SPACEMurgab nodded briskly. He wasn’t happy with all this waiting in the middle of the forest but he left Calixta as she wished. Calixta turned back to the secret prince who was standing in radiating glory before her.
SPACEShe was caught in a daze, as if she hadn’t just seen him seconds ago.
The thought of going back to the castle and leaving her new acquaintance in Emerald forest seemed absurd of a thought. She didn’t want to go back to the protected walls of Emerald City, back to Lord Murgab’s castle, being kept away in a cage. It wasn’t an appealing thought to her. But she had no choice in it; she also didn’t have a choice when it came to Murgab himself. She assumed he would propose to her any day now. She was seventeen and the normal age for a young girl to be married off. She couldn’t refuse Murgab even if she had a better offer, she owed him too much over the years he watched over her—the grey gelding snorting on the bank and pawing his large hoof was just a reminder of one of the numerous gifts Lord Murgab had bought for her.
SPACE“Nalin,” Calixta asked on impulse. “I’d like ask something of you.”
SPACE“For saving my life,” Nalin sang, “I will give you anything.”
SPACECalixta glanced to Murgab quickly before she whispered to Nalin. “Give me that feeling you gave me earlier, the one that makes me feel lightheaded and dizzy with the ocean breeze. Can you give it to me forever?” It was the last of her sentence that came out that surprised even Calixta herself.
SPACEShe startled at her own words… had she really just said that? She had, it was true. She wanted that salty breeze and warm churning in her heart like she’d felt moments ago, already her heart was feeling a strange cold. It was the absence of that heat Nalin had made her feel that her heart now longed for.
SPACE“Your name, my lady?” Nalin sang.
“Calixta,” she whispered to the small secret.
SPACE“Because you saved me from that trap and I can see in your heart you wish me no harm,” his voice was a ripple of violins, “I can grant you your wish.”
SPACEA thrill rushed through Calixta.
SPACE“But,” Nalin sang deeply, “You must leave now and come back tomorrow by dawn, when I have my strength and I know you are alone.”
SPACE“I’ll never be able to get out of the castle,” Calixta pleaded. “Can’t you do it now?”
SPACE“It will be tomorrow or never.” Nalin’s voice was unwavering. “Now,” he commanded, “you must leave. Your horses have already sensed my magic and I fear the hunter will be suspicious if you don’t leave my presence immediately.”
SPACECalixta did as Nalin commanded her, partly because she felt the truth in his words, and partly because there was a strange underlying command in his voice that made her want to obey him.
SPACE“Is everything all right, lady?” Lord Murgab asked as he helped Calixta to mount her horse. She wouldn’t have needed his help if she hadn’t been wearing the dress he insisted he liked so dearly.
SPACE“All is well,” Calixta put on a bright smile to convince Murgab she was well.
SPACEHe mounted his chestnut steed and turned back to the brook for a moment. Then he did something that set panic deep in Calixta’s mind. He rode near the stream of the brook, on top of the bank where she had just been.
SPACEHe was a fine hunter, Murgab. Calixta may have been unarguably set against marrying him but she could not deny him the compliment. His sharp copper eyes scanned the bank as he looked over the bank. Calixta silently held her breath, praying he hadn’t spotted the prince. She hoped he’d taken his small legs and run like all hell was chasing him. He’d have to run that way if Murgab was after him.
SPACE“Lord Murgab,” Calixta called from her horse in the calmest voice she could.
SPACEMurgab silenced her with a finger to his mouth. He was concentrating on the forest on the other side of the brook now.
SPACE“Did you see that?” Murgab asked. “I think I saw something run to the trees…” Calixta could see the hunt already formulating in his keen eyes.
SPACE“Murgab, my lord,” Calixta never called Lord Murgab by his first name—nor did she claim him as her lord. He snapped his head around at her, his intense look startled her. “You’re scaring me…” She choked.
SPACE“Oh,” Murgab shook himself slightly. “I’m sorry my lady,” he smiled lightly.

That night Lady Calixta walked to her room, Murgab following quietly behind her. His steps echoed loudly throughout the castle halls. Calixta reached her door and was about to do as she always did, bid Murgab a goodnight and try desperately to evade his attempts of receiving late night affections.
SPACEBut there were other things on Calixta’s mind that night, particularly the secret prince in the forest. She was caught up in her own silent thoughts when Murgab crashed his lips onto hers. It was so sudden and so unexpected Calixta squeaked like frightened mouse on the impact of it all. Calixta had never been kissed before, at least not with the passion Murgab was mustering. She simply could not return this love for Murgab that he so openly expressed for her.
SPACE“Murgab,” Calixta gasped when she was able to breathe. Murgab had pressed their bodies against the gold rock wall and she was overly consumed with the whole situation.
SPACE“Please, Calixta,” he left aside his formal tone. “I—“
SPACE“I’m tired!” Calixta whispered to him. She knew what he was going to ask. She hurried out of his grasp and shut the heavy door behind her before he could ask.
SPACEIt was just before dawn when Calixta opened the large doors to the barn. She slipped through silently hoping not to stir the horses inside. She woke early in the morning and dressed in a pair of men’s leggings she’d found in the nurses quarters. She’s used another man’s old shirt and ragged apparel to cover herself. She’d wrapped up warmly in a cloak of dear fur to keep the morning chill from her back and a hood to cover her face.
SPACEShe found the grey gelding in the last stall next to the chestnut mare that Murgab always rode. She tacked up her horse as quickly as she could and mounted him with ease. She’d been right, without a dress things were much easier, even if she looked like a common slave. The horse beneath her grunted and snorted as she kicked him into a hurried gallop out of the kingdom. In town there were commoners already awake and stirring, setting out their stand for the market in the morning.
SPACEAs she passed them, she hid her face, though she doubted she could hide the royal brand of Emerald City on the gelding’s hind quarter. She was near to the end of the town when someone cried out above the crowd of people that had gathered. The voice cried out again and Calixta spurred the horse forward with all her might.
SPACE“Someone’s stolen Lord Murgab’s horse!”
SPACEShe hadn’t been fast enough, or rose early enough to out ride Emerald City’s guards. They were on her the moment the cries of despair had reached their ears. She assumed Lord Murgab was already being woken to join the chase, though it would not last long.
SPACEThey cried after her, to stop and give back the horse, her punishment would be death unless they saw her face. She rode swiftly through the cobblestone paths of Emerald City until she reached the stretch of open plain that separated Emerald City from Emerald forest. Calixta glanced over her shoulder and spurred the grey gelding fast, harder, pushing him. She could lose them in the forest.
SPACEIf she could outrun them.
SPACEThe guards’ voices were getting closer. An arrow sailed by her shoulder, she ducked closer to the neck of her horse and closed her eyes. She could pull off her hood and give up. They’d recognize her one they saw her face. She could give up. She could surrender. But she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to give up. Another arrow whistled by her face, it graze her cheek leaving a paper thin wound. Her heart was pumping erratically; she was only half way to the forest. She’d never make it in time. They were getting closer, and their aim was getting better.
SPACEThen she heard yelling from behind her. She turned to see what was going on; why hadn’t they kept shooting her? It was a gift from the spirits; a single owl was attacking the lead guard. He was scratching at his eyes and screaming like a banshee. Another arrow from a guard grazed her cloak and she realized that the bird would only provide so much of a distraction. She dug her heels into the grey gelding and he responded with even more spirit and vigor than she’d expected. He was racing to the forest edge like he knew just how much his rider’s life depended on it. His ears twitched irregularly and Calixta could sense a sudden change in the horse’s mood. He was uneasy and starting to decrease speed. Something had spooked him. He’d caught sight of something at the forest’s edge that made him reluctant.
SPACEThen she saw the bees.
SPACEThere was a swarm hovering by the forest. The spirits were against her, she thought, but upon gaining more ground, she realized it wasn’t bees—but they were flying right at her.
SPACEBirds. There had to be at least a hundred birds flying directly at them; all the colors of the rainbow, purple, pink, red, brilliant yellows and oranges. They were all fantastical birds. They swarmed in a group and Calixta closed her eyes just as they were over her. But nothing happened. They passed her. Then she looked over her shoulder and saw that they were swooping down on the Emerald City guards, diving and scratching furiously.
SPACE“Don’t look back,” a voice sang right next to her. She looked wildly to her left with a fear stricken panic. But it was silenced with a cool breeze and a refreshing wave that washed over her inner being. “Follow me.”
SPACEHe was riding a white owl, dressed in colorful garments and beads, and there were beautiful feathers in a corona on his curly hairs. Calixta looked back and saw the guards, every last one of them on the ground, being attacked by tiny riders on beautiful birds. The horses were retreating back to the castle.
SPACE“You came,” Calixta watched in wonder as he flew next to her. All her fear and all her panic had been replaced with calming ocean waves.
SPACE“A secret never lies,” Nalin sang. Calixta felt like his voice sounded even sweeter than she’d dreamed of. “I heard you coming. You sounded scared.”
SPACE“How could you have heard me?” Calixta’s voice was swept away by the wind but Nalin could hear her perfectly.
SPACE“Secrets have greater talents than just listening,” his chuckle was a ripple of chimes ringing in Calixta’s ears.
SPACE“Like what?”
SPACECalixta stopped at the edge of the forest. Her heart was calm but she could feel the horse under her breathing heavy with excitement. Nalin was making her feel that way. She felt calm, unnerved. The white owl perched in a branch of the tree near Calixta.
SPACE“I can show you everything about us,” Nalin sang.
SPACE“Really?” Calixta felt her heart skip a beat. “You would do that for me?”
SPACE“You’d have to make a promise though,” Nalin’s voice was steady, calculated.
SPACE“Anything.”
SPACE“You can never go back. I won’t be able to save you next time if you do.”
SPACE“I would never go back there, I hate it. I hate it more than being locked in a cage. I hate Lord Murgab and his stupid rules and the way he makes me dress…” While Calixta ran on about the things she hated, suddenly her body started to shrink until she was no bigger than the size of a toy doll.
SPACE“Great spirits!” She shrieked.
SPACE“Shh…” Nalin sent another wave of ocean to calm her. “I’m here.” And he was. When Calixta opened her clenched eyes she was astride a beautiful white owl. It was the closest she’d ever been to him and his beauty was even more breathtaking than the first time. She clung to Nalin’s waist despite all the calming breezes he was sending her. The ground seemed much farther down than it had when she was average height. Everything was so big. So new. It was too much to take in at once.
SPACE“Would you like to see the castle now?”
SPACECalixta nodded her head furiously, until she realized she’d heard Nalin’s real voice. It was much different from the musical one. It was much softer, like velvet palms stroking her mind. It soothed her flustered heart.
SPACE“Nalin,” She gasped just before the majestic white owl was about to spread his wings. Nalin turned his attention to Calixta. “You promised you could make me feel this way forever. How can you do that when we’re apart?”
SPACE“I guess we can’t be apart ever again.” Nalin sang thoughtfully.
SPACE“Never?”
SPACE“Never. We’ll be together forever.”
SPACECalixta closed her eyes. She let the feeling of her new body surround her. The giant tree she was perched in was like a high mountain cliff. The breeze seemed stagnant compared to the ocean winds that ran through her body. “Forever sounds wonderful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
my one-shot, let me know what you think... (:

I WON! :D