Status: Off Hiatus ^^

New Beginnings

The Book Signing Part Two

Wandering down the back stairs to the staff office, Payton wondered if she was doing the right thing. Yes, it was true that she had asked herself that question quite often in the past week, but then again, she had never met anyone who had such a large fan base as the Chicago Blackhawks. Chicago was a major hockey city, or at least according to the majority who watched the game. Not to mention the rather irritating factor of her attraction to the captain of the team.

Yes, he was physically pleasing; lord knows the game and training had molded him into pure, lean, masculine lines and hard muscles that had him catching her staring on more than one occasion. She stopped, leaned back against the wall and took a breath to calm herself down. There was no reason for her to get worked up; he wouldn’t even ask her out anyway. A guy like that had women falling down in front of him for the chance that he’d ask them out, and most of them were far more enchanting and beautiful than she was, and far more likely to do far more than what she was comfortable doing, even before the first date.

Payton continued down the stairs and made her way to the staff room door. Her hand rose to knock, she heard voices, causing her to pause. Eavesdropping was a bad habit of hers, one that she had tried to break herself out of. But this time, she couldn’t help herself, she had to know how he was feeling before she barged in. for all she knew, he was in a relationship with that Kane guy.

“…Don’t worry about what that prick said, man,” came a higher, more boyish voice than Jonathan’s.

“He had no right asking a question like that, Christ, all you guys know I’m straight.” Jonathan’s voice was harsh and dark with anger, making Payton swallow thickly.

“I know you’re frustrated,” said his friend evenly. “And I understand that, but we need you back out there, you’re the Captain.”

“I don’t see how you’re taking this so calmly, Pat,” Jonathan replied harshly. “You were implicated too.”

“Yeah, and I also know that the reporter is full of shit. You got to stop taking this so personally. The reporters will do anything for a story, you know that.”

“I’m just so frustrated! Just because I don’t have a girlfriend automatically makes me gay? Where do they come up with this shit, man?” his voice was so aggrieved, making Payton feel worse about eavesdropping. This time, she knocked on the door, and waited patiently for someone to answer.

The door opened to reveal a man she hadn’t really seen before. Strawberry blonde hair in cherub style curls framed a very boyishly innocent face and glittering blue eyes. He reminded Payton of the renaissance period paintings. “Hey, you’re the chick who yelled at everyone this morning!” he said brightly, giving her a cute smile.

“Christ, I knew that would come back and bite me in the ass,” she moaned painfully, her face turning red.

Cherub boy laughed as he held the door open. “How can I help you?”

“I’m looking for Jonathan,” she replied holding up the shake. “Peace offering, it’s an apology for not getting that reporter out of my store before he got up to the table.”

“Let her in, Kaner,” Jonathan said from the table behind the guy he dubbed ‘Kaner’. Cherub boy rolled his eyes and moved to the side, letting her in. Giving him a smile in return, she turned her attention to the other man in the room, sitting so dejectedly at the table; he had her feeling even more guilty.

“Hey, Jonny,” she smiled, placing the shake down in front of him. “Sorry for not getting to that guy in time.” He let out a smirk at the shake as he straightened in his chair.

“Not your fault,” he shrugged. “The guy’s persistent.” Cherub boy cleared his throat behind them. Giving him an amused look, Jonathan made the introductions. “Uh, Payton, this is my team mate, Patrick Kane. Kaner, this is Payton, Bryce’s little sister.”

Patrick sat down in front of her and Jonathan with a grin before he fluttered his eye lashes. “And here I thought we were something special, Jonny, only being introduced as your team mate…I knew you had someone on the side.”

Payton let out a giggle.

“We also room together when on the road,” Jonathan continued with a grin. “Sharpie and Burish often call us ‘the kids’.”

“Naturally,” she replied, leaning her elbow on the table.

“So, Payton,” Patrick began, leaning forward, “I take it you’re a fan of Tazer here.”

She looked at him bewildered. “Huh?” she replied ever so eloquently.

“You’re wearing his number,” he laughed, “certainly caught his eye when we walked in. Bet there is something more than just you being Bryce’s little sister.” Payton blushed furiously, shaking her head as Jonathan leaned forward and smacked his friend across the side of the head.

“Uh, this is the third time we’ve seen each other,” Payton admitted, blushing, “And the longest we’ve held a conversation with each other too.”

“You serious?” Patrick joked, “You usually can’t shut him up!”

“I don’t know,” she replied, “maybe I’m just shy.”

“Kaner needs to mind his own business and go back to the signing,” Jonathan mumbled, taking a drink.

“You need to come back out soon, too,” Patrick reminded him, standing up. “It was great meeting you, Payton. Get your brother to bring you along to a practice one time. All of us would like a chance to put a face to the name that he’s been bragging about.”

“It was nice meeting you too,” Payton grinned, “Don’t let the crowd maul you on the way to the table.” She smoothed down her shirt, her hands suddenly needing something to do. All too soon, she was going to be left alone with Jonathan and she wasn’t completely sure how to handle that. The man could make her have hot flushes at the drop of a hat.

“That’s why we have security guards,” he winked, “got to have someone protecting this fine asset of mine.”

“More like ass,” Jonathan said into his cup as Patrick walked out. “Thanks for the milkshake, Payton, you didn’t have to go to the trouble.”

“Nonsense,” she dismissed with a wave of her hand. “I knew you liked them and I feel terrible about that reporter, so it’s a bribery tool to make you not hate me for not catching the guy.”

“I can handle him,” Jonathan replied, looking at her steadily. Payton couldn’t help it, she felt another blush creeping up her cheeks. “I really like that you wore my number though.”

“I-is that so?” she stuttered, ducking her head down. He let out a low chuckle.

“Yeah.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to thank xoxomusic363 for being an awesome commenter....you get one of the muffins i baked this morning lol, the same with obsidiantitan, thanks! I've also put up a character page for Payton, Nate, Lucy and Bryce, so feel free to check that out and next chapter you get to look forward to more Bryce! We'll find out more about their parents and what happened to cause the rift in more detail! Cheers and don't forget to leave a comment!