We Met At The Eye Doctor

We met at the eye doctor

I flip through the magazine in the waiting room of the eye doctor. A man walks in with a girl who was about seven years old.
"Wait here. I'm just going to get some coffee, do you want something to drink?" he asks, bending down to her level.
"Juice!" she says as she sits next to me. Her father walks out of the waiting room, "Are you here for a check-up too?"
"Yeah, and I need to get new contact lenses." I say in a friendly voice.
"Are the doctors nice here?" she asks me in a worried voice.
"Yeah, they are." I say in a reassuring voice.
"Good, because I usually go to check ups with my mom, but I'm staying with my dad this week." She says, smiling.

"Cassandra Marquin," the nurse calls out into the waiting room.
"I have to go now." I say to the little girl. I walk into the doctor's office and go through the regular check-up procedure.

"Your contact lenses will be ready in two days." Dr. Shapiro says to me as I walk back into the waiting room, "Make the payment to my secretary."
I walk into the waiting room and look over at the front desk, there was some lady making her own payment so I went to sit down.
"That's the lady I was talking to." The little girl says to her father as she points at me.
"I hope Estelle wasn't bothering you." the man says, nicely.
"Oh, actually we had a pleasant conversation." I say, smiling.
"My name is Mike by the way." He says, extending his hand.
"Cassie." I say as I shake his hand.
"Next!" the chubby secretary yells out. I walk up to the desk and give her my medical insurance number.

"My name is Cassandra Marquin, I'm here to pick up my contact lenses." I say to the secretary two days later.
"Oh yes here they are." She says, handing me an envelope with the two small boxes in them. I open the bag to make sure the prescription is correct.
"I'm here for Estelle Pritchard's results." I hear a familiar voice say.
"Oh yes, everything's fine and dandy. She has excellent eyesight." The secretary says.
"Thank you." he says. I look up from my bag to see Mike.
"Nice to see you again." I say, smiling.
"Cassie, hi. Are you stalking me?" He asks, laughing.
"Nope, I had to pick up my contact lenses." I say, lifting my bag. I start to walk away when he calls out to me.
"Cassie, would you like to get some coffee or something?" I smile to myself and turn around.
"I'd love to."

We make our way to the nearby Starbucks.
"So what do you do for a living?" I ask, trying to make small talk.
"I uh work in the music business." He says, shrugging his shoulders.
"Ahh the corrupt business."
"So what do you do?"
"I'm a free lance photographer."
"Paparazzi?" he asks in a twitchy voice.
"No, I usually take pictures of real life; I guess that's what you can call it. But I'm thinking about starting to start photographing photo shoots for fashion and stuff."
"Cool."
"So where's Estelle this fine afternoon?" I ask as I take a sip from my coffee.
"She's at her friend's house." he shifts his weight, "Would you like to go to dinner with me?"
"Tonight?"
"If you like."
"Sure." I say smiling.
"Okay then, it's a date." I give him my address and return to my apartment.

I listen to the message on my answering machine.
"Cassie, it's Mandy. I want to set you up with a friend of mine; you've been single far too long. Call me back on my cell."
I pick up the phone and dial Mandy's number.
"Hello."
"Hi Mandy."
"So are you interested in a blind date?" she asks in a teasing voice.
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I have a date."
"When? With who?" she asks in a nosey way.
"Tonight, with this guy named Mike."
"Hmm, where'd you meet him?" she asks trying to put him to the test.
"Eye doctor."
"Oh, he's a doctor. I won't last; you're unable to handle such stability in your life."
"Shut up! He's not a doctor, he was taking his daughter for a check-up." I retort.
"He has a daughter!" Mandy practically yells into the phone.
"I really don't mind." I say rolling my eyes.
"Well if he's not a doctor, what does he do?"
"He works in the music industry." I say proudly.
"Nice."
"Yeah, yeah. I have errands to run; I'll talk to you tomorrow."
"I WANT DETAILS!" she yells before hanging up.