We Met At The Eye Doctor

We met at the eye doctor

"So how was your date with Mike?" Mandy pesters the next day at the Starbucks.
"It went good, we did some lines, couple of syringes, you know, the usual," I say sarcastically.
"Haha, funny. Why don't you just tell me how your date went?"
"It was good. He picked me up at my apartment and took me to this cozy restaurant outside of town."
"So did you fuck him?" she asks pevertedly.
"No, for heaven's sake we just met," I say, rolling my eyes.
"Well what did you do?"
"We chatted at the restaurant and then I kissed him goodnight when he dropped me off at my apartment."
"Okay, what did you talk about?" she asks, already bored with our conversation.
"Well, I don't know anything."
"What about his daughter?"
"She didn't come along if that's what you mean. He didn't talk that much about her, he just mentioned how he was glad the fact that he had a daughter didn't scare me away."
"Tell me, why didn't that scare you away?" Mandy pesters.
"Listen, you know pretty damn well why it didn't," I say, slightly pissed off.
"Sorry, I just figured it would have the opposite affect," Mandy says quietly.

Flashback
"Corey, I've got some interesting news."
"What's that babe?" he asks as I sit on his lap.
"I'm pregnant, I whisper happily into his ear.
"What?! How could this happen!" he yells as he lifts me off his lap.
"Well, when a man loves a woman." He cuts me off, waving his hands.
"You know that's not what I meant! But we've always used a condom!"
"Those things are only 97% effective, besides I thought you'd be happy!" I say, crossing my arms.
"You know what, it's okay, we'll work through this," Corey says as he kisses the top of my head.

One month later
"I can't take this," Corey says, running his hands through his hair.
"What now?" I ask, exasperated.
"I can't be a father, I just can't!"
"So what are you saying?"
"I don't know, but I can't deal with a child."
"So you're saying you want me to have an abortion?!" I yell, upset. "Because I won't!"
"I'm sorry Cassie, I can't do this."
"That's it, you're just going to leave then," I say, tears rolling down my face.
"Cassie, we had it coming," he says calmly.
"Get out," I say, pointing at the door. He doesn't move from where he's standing. "I'm gong to see Mandy, when I get back you and your stuff better be out of here." I walk out the door and get in my car. I drive down the highway with tears still streaming down my face.
BANG!
I wake up and see a nurse standing over me.
"Can you hear me? If you can hear me, blink twice."
"What happened?" I ask in a raspy voice.
"You were in a car accident, but you're in stable condition."
"The baby?" I ask, reaching to my stomach.
"I'm sorry, but you lost her," the nurse says, shaking her head.
End of flashback

"Oh by the way, I got you a photo shoot next week," Mandy says as she finishes off her coffee.
"For what?" I ask, still in a bit of a daze.
"Reprise records," she says, picking up her purse. "I'll give you the details tomorrow; I forgot the schedule at home."
"Thanks," I say as I grab my own purse. As I do so I hear my cell phone ring.
"Hello?"
"Hey Cassie, I was wondering if you'd like to join me for lunch today, I'll be in your area," Mike asks.
"Yeah, sure."
"I hope you don't mind, Estelle will be joining us," he says nervously.
"Not at all, she's a cute kid," I say, laughing a little.
"Alright, I'll pick you up at one."
"See you then," I say as I put my cell phone back in my purse.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!
I open the door to my apartment.
"Hi Mike, hello Estelle," I say happily as I grab my purse.
"Hi," Mike says as he kisses my lips gently.
"Hi Cassie, you don't have to call me Estelle if you don't want to," the little girl says innocently.
"Then what do I call you?" I ask, bending down to her level.
"Stella," she says happily.
"Let's get going then," Mike suggests. I lock my apartment door and follow him to his car.

Mike drives up to a pizzeria. The three of us walk in and are seated at a booth near a window.
"So what do you want to eat?" Mike asks, looking over the menu.
"Hmm, I'm in the mood for vegetarian pizza," I say, looking over my own menu.
"Vegetarian pizza is icky; they put broccoli in that!" Stella exclaims in disgust.
"Well they don't put broccoli at this place, the vegetarian pizza here is actually very tasty."
"I'll have a pepperoni and cheese pizza," Stella says, looking up at Mike.
"Alright then," he says as he motions to the waitress that we're ready to order. "Two vegetarian pizzas and a children's pepperoni pizza." The waitress takes down the order and walks away.
"Copy cat," I say, poking Mike in the arm.
"Nope, you said the vegetarian pizza is tasty here, I want to see if you're telling the truth." I roll my eyes and laugh.

Several minutes later the waitress comes with our individual pizzas. Stella fumbles with her pizza for a few seconds before Mike reaches over and cuts it into manageable pieces.
"Thank you," she mutters, not wanting to admit she needed help.
"So did I lie to you?" I ask as Mike takes a bite of his own pizza.
"No, you were telling the truth," he says, taking another piece.
"Can I taste?" Stella asks.
"I thought vegetarian pizza is icky," I say in slight mockery.
"Umm. That's when I thought the put broccoli in it," Stella says as Mike passes her a bite size piece.
"I don't like it," she says as she spits it in her napkin.
"Hmm, I guess I did lie," I say, turning to Mike.
"Nah, all she likes is pepperoni pizza and Mac'n'cheese."
"I like chicken nuggets too," she says, looking up from her pizza.
"Yeah Mike, honestly, chicken nuggets is a whole other food group," I say, laughing as he rolls his eyes.
"Finished my pizza, can I go look at the desserts?" Stella asks as she wipes her mouth with a napkin.
"Okay, just don't get in the waiter's way," Mike says as she scampers off.

"She still hasn't scared you off?" Mike asks, smirking.
"Nope," I say happily.
"Why is that?"
"Well, a couple of years ago, I was pregnant but I lost the baby, so if she would have lived I'd have my own daughter here at today's lunch," I say sadly.
"Oh, I'm sorry I brought it up," Mike says, embarrassed.
"No, it's okay, you didn't know," I say, shaking my head.