We Met At The Eye Doctor

We met at the eye doctor

Today we were off down state to see my parents and tell them about the pregnancy and the engagement. I hope my mother got over herself and she can be a decent person this time around. Mike looks over at me as we near the familiar suburbs in which my parents reside.
"Why do you look so nervous?"
"Well after last time . . . ."
"Yeah okay, but what's the worst that could happen?" he says confidently, "we had no problem telling my sister."
"Your sister is more, well she's more accepting and understanding." I ramble.
"Is this it?" he asks stopping in front of a mid-sized bungalow.
"Yup." I say exhaling deeply. "Let's get this over with."
"Talk about enthusiasm." He says in mockery. "C'mon be happy." I smile cheesily.

We walk up to the house and ring the doorbell.
"Cassandra, Mike so what's the big news?" My mother asks as she ushers us into the house. I see my father getting up from his seat in the living room.
"Well," I say looking at Mike for confidence, "We're engaged."
"Oh isn't that nice." My mother says hugging Mike. I realize why she's so happy, Corey never proposed and Mike did. Mike smiles at me as if to say told you it wouldn't be so bad
"That's great news." My father says proudly, "I'm going to get some wine to celebrate." We follow my mother into the dining room where she starts taking wine glasses out of the china cabinet.
"Only three glasses." I say apprehensively.
"Oh why? Are you on that diet . . . . . .oh what's it called . . . .Oprah was talking about it, surely you can make an exception it's not every day you get engaged." She gibbers.
"No Mom, I can't drink alcohol . . . . .I-I'm pregnant." She fumbles with a glass nearly dropping it.
"You're what?"
"Pregnant." Mike says clearly.
"You know you shouldn't get engaged just because-" My father cuts in, probably remembering what happened with Corey.
"No, we found out after."
"Oh okay, well John put the wine back." My mother says as she heads to the fridge and brings out a bottle of sparkling water. "This will have to do." She pours four glasses and we toast with sparkling water.