We Met At The Eye Doctor

We met at the eye doctor

I sit at the kitchen table with several copies of the photographs and several envelopes to send to various magazines, most of them maternity magazines but a couple for women's magazines. I look over the photos to select which ones I want to send, then I come across the ones of me again. They were just as good as all the rest, I finally make a decision to send one of them, the one that doesn't show my face.
"Watcha doin?" Mike asks walking into the kitchen.
"Just choosing the photos to send out." Mike comes and wraps and arm around me as he kisses the top of my head.
"How was band practice?"
"Good, we started working on some new stuff."
"Cool." I say putting the selected pictures in an envelope.
"Cass?"
"Yeah babe?"
"Can you seriously play bass?" I laugh.
"Yeah, a couple of songs."
"How come you didn't tell me?"
"Didn't think it was important." I say shrugging, "I mean it's not like it's a hobby of mine, I haven't played since high school."
"Is there anything else I should know?" he asks laughing.
"Umm, I was also able to burp the alphabet when I was about ten and I think that's it."
"Burp the alphabet?" he asks laughing.
"What? You asked."

"What pictures are you sending?"
"Numbers 4, 8, 10, 13, and 17." I list he looks them over.
"Number four is you."
"Yeah, I thought I'd send one." I say shrugging.
"Number three is my favorite." He says holding one up of me.
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"But I don't want to send one in that shows my face."
"Yeah, I guess that's best." He says kissing the top of my head again.
"I love you." I say as I cup his cheeks and pull him towards me in a passionate kiss.

"So did you still want to go buy the stuff for the baby's room today?"
"Yeah sure." I say as I get up from where I'm sitting. We head out to the store and we browse around for a while.

"So do you want to do the whole blue thing?" Mike asks as he clutches my hand.
"Too typical, I was thinking more about green." I say as we pass another row of cradles.
"Why green?" Mike asks laughing. "Green Day kid?"
"Hey why not." I laugh.
"You do know what a green day is right?"
"Weed binge day, right?" I snicker.
"Okay good, just as long as you know." He smiles, "So green?"
"Yup."

We choose the furniture for the baby's room along with a bassinet, high chair and car seat for this little guy.
"We'll have it delivered sometime this afternoon." The sales clerk says smiling.
"Thank you." I say as Mike and I head back to the car.

"Wow, this baby's really coming." I say as we drive down the street.
"Yeah, I'm so excited." Mike says smiling as he looks over at me. About half an hour after we get home, the truck from the furniture store pulls up to our house.

They workers move the boxes into the baby's room and leave. Mike opens the boxes and starts to assemble the furniture as I sit on the floor reading the instructions.
"Where does this piece go?" Mike asks holding up part of the crib.
"Umm you snap it to the rim there." I point it out.
"Oh well that makes sense." He says shaking his head laughing.
"Oh oh! Mike." I say excitedly. "He's kicking." He comes up to me and I put his hand on my stomach.
"I can feel it." He says happily. The kicking stops and Mike lifts up my shirt and kisses my belly, "I love you baby." I can't help but giggle as he goes back to putting together the contraption of baby furniture.