We Met At The Eye Doctor

We met at the eye doctor

I wake up alone and I remember last night, baby Travis started crying again and Mike went to see to him. I head downstairs and the TV is on at a very low volume and Mike is lying on his back on the couch with Travis sound asleep on his chest. I go to the hall closet and get my camera. I head around to get a good shot. Travis is in a blue footy pyjama and Mike is wearing a white tank and navy blue boxers. I snap a couple of shots and replace the lens on the camera. There pictures are going to look great in black and white.

"You aren't going to send that to any magazines are you?" Mike mumbles, his eyes are still closed.

"Nope, these are for us," I say laughing, "Why?"

"Don't want my girlie fans to see me in my underwear." We both laugh.

Stella runs down the stairs.

"Good morning Cassie, where's Dad?" she asks as she runs up to me, "Oh there you are. Good morning."

"Morning Hero," he says shifting his head on the sofa cushion. Stella crouches down next to the sofa.

"Morning Travis," she whispers as she touches his tiny hand. Travis whines a little and I pick him off Mike's chest. Mike gets up and kisses my lips gently before going to the washroom.

"Hungry baby?" I say as I rock him in my arms. Stella follows me into the kitchen and gets one of the pre-filled baby bottles out of the fridge. "Can you put in the microwave?" I ask. She nods and presses the buttons like she has the past two days. Stella is a good big sister.

"Breakfast anyone?" Mike asks stretching as he walks into the kitchen.

"Can we have pancakes?" Stella asks hopefully.

"Yeah sure, pancakes sound good," Mike says digging through the cupboard for pancake mix. Microwave dings and I get out Travis's baby bottle, test the milk on my wrist then put it to his mouth. I feed Travis as I watch Mike and Stella bustle around the kitchen making breakfast. This morning had a nice feeling to it.

***

"Now I have a nephew," Myla says adoringly as she rocks Travis in her arms. "And such a cute nephew." The door bell rings again.

"I'll get it," Mike nod as I go over to the door. My parents are standing there eagerly.

"Cassandra," my mom says hugging me, "How are you doing?"

"Great, everything's great," I say as my mom let's go of me and I'm pulled into a hug by my father. "Just tired but I'm not complaining." I lead them into the living room where Luke is now holding Travis.

"How's Daddy holding up?" my mother asks jokingly as she goes to hug Mike.
"Just fine." He says laughing at her cheesy joke. She goes over to Luke and he hands her, her grandson.

"Travis right?" she asks as she rocks him in her arms.

"Yeah," I say as I go to stand next to Mike.

"Can't believe I'm a grandfather," my father says adoringly looking over Travis.