Status: Rewritten, let me know what you think!!

A Library Romance

Chapter Two

*Nico's P.O.V.*

I pulled myself out of my reverie. Shaking my head in embarrassment, I grab their books and start ringing them through.

“Did you find everything okay?” I mutter, not looking directly at them.

“Sure,” she scoffs, grabbing the bag of books roughly from my hands and stomping out, Caden trailing behind her.

Adlar is still standing there, grasping a book in his hands looking extremely uneasy. I sigh, bracing myself for the onslaught of insults that I know are going hurt my heart. They never come.

"I'm sorry about them. They're dicks." he tries to smile reassuringly.

"It's okay," I smile, relieved, "I'm used to it."

"Kind of wish you didn't have to be, though, eh?"

I pause, wondering what he's trying to say. Adlar's eyes widen as he realizes what I must be thinking.

"Oh, my God, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that it would be nice if people weren't so judgmental of other people's lifestyles, you know."

"It's okay, Adlar, you can stop apologizing, seriously."

I ring his book through, a collection of photographs from an up-and-coming photographer named Senol Zorlu.

"This is a really fantastic book, by the way. He's amazing at capturing people in their most vulnerable state."

Adlar smiles comfortably, "Good, I'll enjoy it then, and hopefully learn a thing or two."

I watch as Adlar leaves, the way his butt looks through the just-tight-enough jeans. As soon as I hear the ring of the bell I begin a dance, flailing my arms in the air.

“Wow, Happy Pants, what’s got you hopping?” Deana asks, climbing over the counter.

“Adlar just came in,” I smile widely.

She knows all about my huge crush.

“No way!” she cheers, smiling too, “What happened?”

So I tell her all about Adlar's awful brother, and how amazing he was after they were gone.

"Aw, that's so cute. I wonder if he could be gay, though. You never know."

"Are you nuts? Have you seen that fine-ass man?"

“Are you trying to say that gay guys aren’t cute? I beg to differ, look at you.”

“That’s not what I meant,” I sigh, “but I’m not cute.”

“Of course you are, Nico! You’ve got perfect hair, and you always seem to pull off flawless with the greatest of ease! You’ve got better fashion sense than half the female population. God, I swear you’re like a younger, hotter version of Marc Jacobs.”

“No way! That’s the nicest thing anybody’s ever said to me!” I squeal, throwing my arms around Deana.

“Wow, you really don’t hide it,” she laughs.

“I’m very proud of my sexuality, thank you very much. I’d probably be exactly the same way even if I were straight.”

“Now that would be a sight!” Deana laughs.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a chapter to finish,” I state matter-of-factly.

“Gotcha, Cap’n,” Deana salutes, and then walks off to continue placing up books.

I sit back in the leather sofa chair, pulling out my book, and continue from where I left off.

“No,” he whispered. His eyes were wide and terrified in the dark. Now he could dimly see that homicidal doll’s face in the mirror, hanging over his shoulder with its hair in its red eyes…