Status: Rewritten, let me know what you think!!

A Library Romance

Chapter Twenty

I successfully dodged my entire family the next day. Talking to Nico last night had really helped me bring up my mood. I still have no clue what I'm going to do about my living situation. I guess I should be thankful I haven't been kicked out yet.

Even though I was in a great mood today, Nico didn't seem to be when we were at work. He kept looking over at me with a sad-puppy look on his cute face. I wish I could have comforted him and hugged him and told him everything was going to be okay, whatever it was that was bothering him.

When I got home that night my mother still had the party planner and the caterers there to organize my grandfather's "wake". Even they looked a little uncomfortable as my mother excitedly talked about the party. At least I know I'm not the crazy one.

I quickly bypassed the living room and took to the stairs two at a time. I almost fell backwards when I came face to face with my father at the top. He glared back at me with an almost expressionless face. I could see the disappointment in his eyes. I stared right back at him.

"Son." Father grumbled.

"Father." I mimicked.

"Your mother and I have been talking."

"Oh, really? I didn't know you two could do that."

Completely ignoring me he continues rambling on, "We think that it's in the best interest of you and the family, if you were to move out soon after your grandfather's wake."

As soon as those words left my father's mouth it felt like the life was being sucked right out of me. I wanted to cry, not because I was losing all my father's wealth and protection, but because he really had stopped loving me, this was proof of that.

I tried not to show how I was feeling as I spoke mechanically, "Wonderful idea. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I already have something lined up."

Surprise, and maybe even hurt, crossed my father's face. But he didn't say anything, simply nodded and then descended the stairs behind me.

I made my way to my room as quickly as I possibly could. As soon as the door was shut behind me I began to cry. I guess something inside of me always hoped that there was some good in my family. I guess not.

-----

The next couple days seemed to pass in a haze. Between grandfather's death, this stupid wake, and Father kicking me out I just feel hollow, numb. The only thing I look forward to is seeing Nico.

My room is almost bare, I've been slowly putting all my stuff into boxes. It's all ready to go, I just need somewhere to live now.

Nico takes all the bullshit that is my family out of my head Friday evening. He seems like he's in a much better mood than usual. He laughs and jokes and we share stories about parties we went to when we were younger. I could talk to Nico about anything, I think, and he would still have my full attention.

Except of course when there's a weird blonde girl clinging to him. That just confuses me. She gushes and leaves the store before I can ask Nico to introduce us.

“What the hell was that?” I laugh, “Was that your friend?”

“More like my stalker,” Nico chuckles awkwardly as I follow him back to the shelves.

“Your stalker?”

“Yeah, up to yesterday she was absolutely crazy obsessed with me.”

I can understand why.

“So what changed?”

“I just talked to her, is all,” he says, looking up at me.

His face is so close to mine. His breath smells like mint. His cute, brown, puppy-like eyes stare at me with such intensity. I could stare in to those eyes for hours.

“What did you say to her?” I ask, my voice so low I'm not even sure if he'll hear me.

“I told her to be glad she’s not gay.”

I definitely wasn't expecting that.

“What do you mean?”

“She’s straight; there are so many more options out there for her. It’s harder to find other gay guys, especially when you live in a little town.”

Nico is so right. There aren't many of us here. I see his eyes move down to my lips. I can hear my heart pounding loudly in my ears. I want so bad to kiss him right now.

“Have you ever thought about being straight?” I ask.

“When I first realized what it meant to be gay, I did a bit. But now that I know it’s not a bad thing I don’t care. I like being gay too much to want to be straight.”

“What do you like about being gay?” I move so that I'm leaning my shoulder against the bookshelf. The movement causes my face to be a little bit closer to Nico's.

“Guys, mostly,” he smiles, and I can't help but laugh with him, “And it can also be a bit more special when you actually do find another gay guy. It’s even nicer if a guy you like but aren’t sure about, turns out to be gay. That’s the only hard part, wondering whether or not a guy is gay.”

“So is there someone now that you like but aren’t sure about?”

I pray that he says it's me. I hear his breath catch in his throat. I can see that he's thinking very strongly about something. He breathes deeply before nodding his head lightly. I don't know if I'm imagining it but his head leans closer to mine and I begin leaning in to him. I want to ask him who it is he likes but I'm afraid it will ruin the moment.

My lips are almost there. I can almost feel the static electricity running between us. But the moment is ruined as Antonio kicks the door in, yelling something inaudible. Nico quickly tears himself away from and heads towards the front. I take a moment to gather myself before joining him.

“Yippee kiyay, mother fuckers!” Antonio yells, “It’s party time!”

I think I might hate him.

-----

By the time I arrive at the party the house is pretty full. No one is really too drunk yet but the night has only just started. I walk around a bit and see who's here. I find Nico's friend Drake in the hallway with a rather large-chested blonde on his arm.

"Hey man, what's up?" he fist bumps with me.

"Not much," I looks around, trying to see Nico, "Nico here yet?"

"Nah, man," Drake smirks at me.

I walk away, a little confused. Did Nico tell him about the almost-kiss? I brush it off and decide to make myself a drink. Captain and Pepsi. Just as I'm done I feel a hard slap on my shoulder. I turn around and meet the drunk, smiling face of Bobby, a guy I used to sort of hang out with back in high school.

"Adlar, man, I haven't seen you in a while."

"Hey Bo, how you doin'?"

"Pretty fucking awesome. I heard you were working at the bookstore? What's up with that?"

I shrug nonchalantly, "Got sick of my dad."

"So you work with Nico, then, eh?"

"Yep."

"Man, that dude is so cool. You should see him in a Flip Cup game. I don't want to know how he does it, but he can chug a beer quicker than I've ever seen."

I choke on my drink at the thought of how Nico does chug so quickly. I tear that thought from my mind before anyone can even begin to guess about what I'm thinking. I hang out with Bo and a few other guys for a while and then I see him. He saunters through the door looking oh so perfect and oh so delicious. The alcohol in my system makes it a lot harder to stop the burning in my lower stomach.

"Hey, Nico!" I yell, grabbing his attention.

Nico's face lights up with a gorgeous smile the second his eyes land on me. I wave him over.

“These guys told me that you’re the champ when it comes to Flip Cup,” I smirk wickedly.

“Are you challenging me, oh pale one?” he smirks back, grabbing a stack of empty red solo cups.

“I do believe I am.”

“Just don’t throw up on me,” he giggles.

“You got it.”

The small crowd we have gathered cheers and a couple guys set up our game, four cups each. The look on Nico's face is adorable. He looks like he's about to enter a boxing match or something. Abigail runs up to the table.

“Go Nico!” she shrieks, giggling and clapping her hands.

“Abigail,” Nico warns her, “Ssh.”

“Okay,” she squeaks, placing her hands over her mouth.

He turns back to me and checks all the cups. He tells me to put my hands behind my back and wait for the go-ahead. As soon as the word is said I begin to rush, trying to flip over the first cup. I know I'm slower than Nico. He's too distracting. I'm slightly behind him from the first cup.

“You are so hot, Nico.” I say, hoping to make him slip up on his last beer.

He does, spitting out his beer and staring at me. I smirk and pour the last of my beer down my throat. I can't help but laugh at the look on his face.

“You bitch!” he yells, pointing accusingly at me, “You cheated! That’s not fair! I call a rematch!”

“I did not cheat. It’s not my fault you can’t hold your booze,” I say, trying not to laugh.

“Bull shit, Adlar. Rematch right now!”

“Fine,” I grumble.

“This time, no funny business,” he says as someone sets up our cups again, filling them.

This time around, I keep my word and don't distract him. He beat me, of course. I finished my last drink four seconds behind him.

“How do you swallow those things so quickly?” I gasp, holding my chest.

“Honey, have we met?” he smirks, raising an eye brow.

Remembering what Bo said earlier, I blush a deep red, again the thought of how Nico actually does swallow that quickly in my head.Nico bursts out laughing.

“Oh, my God, that’s priceless,” he chuckles, wiping my eyes, “You should have seen the look on your face.”

“You’re sick, Nico,” I mumble, hoping no one can tell how turned on I am.

Nico chuckles again, slinging his arm over my shoulder. We head out to the living room with a couple new beers. The next thing I know we're dancing. Not with each other, or anyone in particular, but dancing, close to each other. The music is shitty but I'm so drunk I don't even care.

I think this is the best party I've ever been too. Whether it's because I've had way too many drinks to count, or because of Nico's presence, I don't know. And I don't care. I feel way too damn good right now.

My vision is a blur but I can feel his presence constantly. I can hear his laughter and his voice; I can see his face; and I can smell his sweet vanilla scent. And then his scent surrounds me, and his hands grab me, and I can taste him. Oh, God, can I taste him. Beer, Pepsi and JD, and mint gum all mixed together with the warm taste of Nico.

Suddenly I realize why I can taste Nico. We're kissing! I open my eyes wide at the same time that he does. Nico looks all around us, at the staring eyes. I can hear people gasping and whispering but I can't make any of what they're saying out. I stare as Nico's eyes water. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. He rushes out of the house, grabbing Antonio with him.

Kids are still staring at me, wondering if I'll say anything. What can I say? I just rub my face and then make my way out of the house just in time to see Nico's brother's car peeling away down the dirt road.