Status: Fin <3

Origins

It's so easy, to break an old person's heart

Mum squeezes my hand then walks up the hallway to the kitchen. I walk behind her and see my grandparents sitting at their old wooden 6 person table. Mum walks right up to them and I slowly and nervously follow.

“Hey Jemma what’s up? We were just finishing up eating lunch,” Grandpa smiles lovingly at his youngest child, his only daughter.

“Francesca has something she needs to tell you,” Mum whispers suddenly not so brave.

“I…” I start to say and lose my voice like I had when I told Mum and Dad. I look at Mum as I begin to cry.

“What’s wrong Cherub?” Nanna asks.

“Mum, Frankee is pregnant,” My Mum whispers to Nanna afraid of what her parents might say.

“She’s what?” They both exclaim in shock.

“She’s going to have a baby, she’s 14 weeks with Izack’s kid. She tried to have an abortion but couldn’t go through with it. I only found out about all this today,” Mum explains. The expressions on my grandparents’ faces soften and Nanna begins to cry.

“I’m so sorry,” I hiccup in between sobs.

“Oh darling come sit on Grandpa’s knee. It’s going to be okay,” He says and brings me into a hug. We sit there and they explain to me that they aren’t mad and understand that I had made a mistake.