Behind Enemy Lines

two ;

Phoebe.

Phoebe sat with her back against the headboard, her laptop sitting in her lap as she typed at an alarming speed. Emailing one of her best friends back home, that she had promised she would update frequently, was just something to do to pass the time. Alyssa was notorious for sleeping until the mid hours of the afternoon, while Phoebe was always somewhat of an early bird of sorts.

Phoebe didn't bother to look away from her glowing screen as Alyssa's phone vibrated against her pillow, causing her to mumble some choice words and snuggle into her pillow. All was well for the next minute or so, letting the girl fall back asleep easily. This time, Phoebe rolled her eyes at her best friend. But after that minute or so of blissful sleep, Alyssa's phone vibrated again, reminding her that she had a waiting text message. She groaned again, but didn't move an inch, or even open her eyes. But her hand was quick to snatch the phone from where it laid beside her head on the while, plush pillow.

Activating the touch screen by memory, Alyssa still didn't open her eyes. Phoebe looked away then, fighting the urge to announce to her friend that laziness will never get her anywhere in life. When Alyssa finally opened her eyes, she sighed.

"Lunch with Bray in twenty?" She asked, her voice hoarse and laced with sleep. Turning on her other side to face Phoebe, she sunk further into her bed, wishing she never had to leave the satin wonderland.

Phoebe smiled, closing her laptop with her perfectly manicured hands and nodded, causing her bangs to fall into her eyes. Raising her hand to brush them away, she informed her best friend that she had already showered and was ready to leave when Alyssa was. The other girl only nodded, pulling herself reluctantly out of her bed and scurried into the connecting bathroom to take a quick shower .

Figuring now was as good time as any, Phoebe also pulled herself off of her bed, leaving her brand new laptop sitting on her blanket. Tugging one of the many heavy suitcases onto the adjacent bed, Phoebe's fingers quickly unzipped it and began to sort through the clothes and place them in the provided wardrobe.

The two hadn't gotten into Saskatoon until late last night, just after eleven. After finding out that Brayden's coach had set a strict eleven o'clock curfew, the girls didn't have much to entertain themselves with. So after deciding it was best to just sleep of the exhaustion from the travel day, they hadn't even bothered to unpack. Phoebe claimed that they had the next two weeks to worry about that. No surprise that she was the first one to fall fast asleep in her new bed.

It didn't take Alyssa long to shower, but it never did. When she came out of the steamed bathroom that reminded Phoebe of a sauna, her make up was done, and her long hair was starting to dry and spring up into her natural loose ringlet curls. Phoebe was almost done unpacking both hers and Alyssa's things when Alyssa was done getting dressed for the day. With five minutes to spare, Alyssa decided to help, lifting the heaviest bag of them all and throwing it on the bed as her arms almost gave out.

"Jesus," she mumbled, causing Phoebe to smirk. Alyssa zipped it open, rolling her eyes at the contents. "Was it absolutely necessary to bring half of your shoe collection?"

"Right, that isn't even close to half," Phoebe countered, waving her hand as if to dismiss the subject. "Besides, you never know when an occasion will come up that you need a cute pair of pumps," she smirked, picking up one of the many pairs of neon colored heels.

Alyssa rolled her eyes at her best friend as her phone buzzed in her hand. "We have to go meet Brayden now," she announced, shoving her feet in a pair of random Uggs, not completely sure whether they were hers or not. Phoebe did the same, finding a pair of blue and white striped knit Uggs by her bed. The girls wrapped their bulky winter coats around themselves and set off into the streets.

"I never thought I'd find somewhere colder than Minnesota," Phoebe shivered, her teeth chattering as the two walked down the busy sidewalk. "How far away is this place?" Alyssa side glanced her best friend and laughed.

"Right here," she replied, looking up at the Maggiano's sign.

Brayden was already sitting at a table with his phone out, his thumbs moving across the keys like lightening when we found him.

"Damn, is it possible for that kid to not look smoking hot?" Phoebe asked under her breath with a smirk, her eyes trailing as much of Brayden that was visible. Alyssa turned her head to glare at her friend who just smirked wider as she pushed a piece of her dark hair out of her face. It was then that Brayden spotted them. His face lit up, making both girls feel a little guilty they had put up such a fight to make this trip. He stood immediately, like the polite boy that Alyssa's Aunt Rita raised him to be.

"Hey," he greeted happily, taking his seat again as the girls took their seats on either side of him at the small, round three person table. "I didn't order yet, I figured it was best to wait until you got here," Brayden said, nodding towards the menus that were already placed in front of the girls.

It didn't take long for the drinks and food to be delivered to them, but it did take a little bit for the awkwardness to fade. It wasn't exactly an unknown fact that Alyssa and Luke had always been closer, despite Brayden and Alyssa ranging closer in age. Luke and Alyssa were more alike than Brayden and Alyssa. Luke was more of a fun personality, always wanting to find something exciting to do to hold his attention. Brayden was significantly shyer, opting to stay at home and watch movies. While neither Alyssa or Phoebe minded doing the same, they lived by a rule stating they had to live it up while they still could.

"I got you tickets in the lower bowl," Brayden nodded, answering Alyssa's previous questions. "Right behind the Canada bench." At this, Alyssa and Phoebe shared a smirk. There was nothing more they'd like than to be able to check out the players up close the entire game. While both understood hockey easily, coming from Minnesota it was hard not to, they were more interested in the hot boys rather than the game itself. After all, they were both still teenagers, at the tender ages of seventeen and eighteen, boys were the first priority.

"That's so perfect," Phoebe grinned at Brayden. Alyssa nodded, agreeing with her.

"Thanks so much, Bray," the less tan of the two said to her cousin. He smiled and nodded.

"Any time," he started, twirling his normal pregame meal of spaghetti on his fork. "Just let me know where you want your tickets for next game to be."

Phoebe bit down on her lip, blocking out the rest of the conversation. She felt terrible for denying this opportunity at first. The rest of Brayden's family wasn't sure if they'd be able to make it. Though they lived here in Saskatoon, they went to Toronto to see Luke for Christmas. Rita and Jeff promised they'd be be back in time for the tournament, but the east coast was currently facing a snow storm, therefore making the traveling much more difficult.

It was obvious that Brayden was sort of bummed that his parents and sisters wouldn't be able to make it in time for the first game. But the fact that someone, anyone was there made his heart become warm, instead of that lonely, hallow feeling. Even if it was a cousin he never talked to and her crazy best friend who hit on him every chance she got.

"That's so gross," Phoebe shuddered, watching as Alyssa dunked her pizza in the pool of ranch dressing on her plate. Alyssa smirked, raising the dripping pizza to her lips, tauntingly chewing as Phoebe almost gagged. "That's so bad for you," she sighed. Alyssa just shrugged, still smirking as she shoved more into her mouth.

Lunch passed quicker than any of the three had expected it to. After the uncomfortableness had died down, the three got along like old friends, joking around and telling stories of past mishaps. Brayden had to run to the arena to pick something up before he went back to his hotel to settle for his pregame nap. The girls didn't dare deny the chance for a ride in a nice, warm car after Brayden had offered. Telling the girls it wouldn't be long, he decided to take them to the arena with him so they knew where they were going at game time.

"I'll only be five minutes at most," Brayden promised before turning on his heel and practically running down the hall.

When Phoebe turned back towards Alyssa, she wasn't surprised to see Alyssa looking up a tan boy with flirting eyes. He leaned against the wall beside her, his lips fixed into a smirk as he spoke. Brayden introduced him as Stefan Della Rovere, and he was instructed to keep us company as Brayden did whatever he had to do. Phoebe was sure there would be no problem with entertainment shortage by the look in Alyssa's eye. He stood in his equipment, everything there from his helmet down to the skates on his feet, one of his gloved hands supporting his weight as he leaned on it, his hand right beside Alyssa's shoulder.

As Stefan explained to Alyssa that he was late to morning skate, therefore just now getting finished, Phoebe rolled her eyes at the two, who hadn't taken their eyes off each other for the last five minutes.

"Aly, I'm gonna go find the bathrooms," she started, catching Alyssa's attention away from tall dark and handsome. She sighed, nodding as she started to step forward. "No, stay, I'll be fine. I'll only be a minute." Alyssa reluctantly nodded, not sure whether she was willing to let her best friend wonder the halls of this huge arena alone.

"They're that way," Stefan informed her, pointing down some random hall with his thick gloved hand, not bothering to look away from the blue eyed girl that was practically Phoebe's other half.

Phoebe started down the hall that led away from the ice, leaving Alyssa and Stefan behind. She knew that the second they saw that she was out of site, Stefan wouldn't wait an extra second to put a move on her.

The sounds of her Uggs padding softly against the linoleum floor echoed throughout the empty hallway, bouncing off the walls and rebounding back at her. No one was in site in the half lit arena, almost seeming a bit sketchy to Phoebe. She wasn't afraid to admit that she was the kind of girl that let small, horror movie scenarios play in her head, then let them escalate them into something entirely bigger.

Her heart started to beat faster, sounding louder than her footsteps as her eyes curiously took in her surroundings. She had been walking for a good five minutes now, the sound of blades carving into the ice and pucks reflecting off the glass and sticks had completely faded now, leaving the arena around her completely silent. All she could hear was her breath, footsteps and her heart as it thumped viciously against her chest.

The hall she was walking down seemed to get lighter, more of the lights were flicked on, but it also seemed to get colder. Suddenly, she regretted leaving her coat with Alyssa. Phoebe let out a shallow breath, looking around her for anyone to ask for help, and just pray that they weren't someone who was more than willing to kill her and chop her into little pieces. Closing her eyes tight, she vanished the thought from her head.

Pulling on the sleeves of her long sleeve, fitted Hollister shirt, her heart stopped beating completely. Footsteps were coming at her, just around the corner. Phoebe froze, not sure if she should run the other way or not.

Both seemed slightly surprised at the sight in front of them. Phoebe eyed the dark blond haired boy from the hotel last night, when they had first arrived in Saskatoon. His head cocked to the side a bit as he stopped in front of her.

"Aren't you the girl from the hotel last night?" He asked, raising his eyebrows at Phoebe. Blushing, she nodded, shifting uncomfortably.

"I'm kind of lost," she admitted, looking around her again, just in case she missed the signs for the bathroom. He looked at her oddly. "I was looking for the bathroom.." she informed him awkwardly. He stifled a laugh.

"You picked the one hall way in the whole building that doesn't have a bathroom," he chuckled. Phoebe pursed her lips, mentally cursing Stefan Della Rovere and his raging hormones that got in the way of even caring about Phoebe's dilemma. "Come on, I'll escort you to one," he smiled widely. Phoebe laughed lightly with a nod, following him down the dark hallway that she had just been through.

For the first few minutes, they walked in silence. Phoebe took in this mystery guy's appearance. He wore a hoodie that read 'Lake Placid' across the chest. Phoebe figured it was just some kind of camp or whatever. When the sounds from the ice started to become louder again, he turned towards her.

"I'm Jake, by the way," he finally spoke up. Phoebe smiled over at him, realizing they were just passing the spot where she left Alyssa and Stefan. She sighed. Of course they weren't there anymore. Phoebe made a mental note to not open any storage closets in the area.

"I'm Phoebe," she replied. Jake smiled.

"Well, here we are," he sighed, nodding towards the doors of the bathroom. Phoebe's jaw almost dropped. They were standing only twenty feet from the ice entrance. Stefan had pointed her in the complete wrong direction on purpose. She buried her anger with Stefan Della Rovere for now and smiled at Jake.

"Thanks so much, Jake," Phoebe said sincerely, knowing she would still be wondering for another half hour if he wouldn't have found her. He smiled down at her from his tall frame.

"Its no problem," he started, "hey, we're staying at the same hotel right?" Phoebe nodded. "We should hang out or something," he grinned. Phoebe laughed a bit, nodding. Usually she would never give out her number like this, but she was incredibly thankful that he had helped her find the bathroom. She would feel terrible if she denied him, and besides, he seemed nice enough. And he doesn't completely terrible on the eyes. She didn't hesitate to read off her ten digit cell phone number as he punched it into his Blackberry.

"Minnesota, eh?" He smirked, looking up to meet her eyes. Phoebe nodded, feeling a slightly proud smile forming at her lips.

"St. Cloud," she confirmed.

"Nice," he nodded, "I'll be getting a hold of you, Phoebe," he smiled and turned on his heel, walking the direction that they had just come in. And with that, he was gone.

Phoebe let out a long breath of air from deep in her lungs, causing her bangs to fly up, then fall back down onto her forehead. Looking in both directions, she decided where she would start to look for her best friend. Looking down the direction that Jake had disappeared in, she smiled. Phoebe Marks never even had to use the bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii guys! :D
This one is kinda written terribly, but whateverrr.
Just so you guys know, I (Alyssa) will be writing even chapters, from Phoebe's perspective and Phoebe will be writing odd chapters, from Alyssa's perspective.
Kind of a slow start,
but I hope you guys start to like this.
We decided to let the lack of comments slide for the last chapter,
considering it was the first.
So don't expect another update on this unless there's a significant amount of comments on this one! :D
Tell your friends pleaseeee! <33333