You're My Keeper

Don't Hesitate

The seasons swept the world and the years washed the earth. The long painful years that passed could not ease the moments that followed like a shadow caste over the victims’ hearts. Many events that impacted their lives; broken friendships between the Uchihas and Kaitos, the Uchiha’s clan slaughter, and the disappearance of not only Itachi but of the young Kaitos’ mother, left an imprint on their households and on their village.

The tension between the two of the youngest kids grew. The air became heavier and heavier by the second, to the point where it was almost unbearable when they came close to each other. Sasuke glared at the young Kaito, his dark eyes piercing through her skin and into her heart as he watched her walk inside the classroom and as fast as he glanced towards her, his eyes quickly averted away in annoyance with a small tsk that left his lips before her eyes glanced his way.

“Kyaaaaa! Sasuke-kun!” roared his fans as they crowded around him. Azumi’s eyes wondered down and stayed glued on the wooden floor as she made her way up the small steps and into her desk; the one that was placed in the back, on the far end of the classroom where no one dared to sit near her.

She placed her small hand over her peach tinted cheek, resting her arm upon the desk as she rolled her eyes in disgust. The girls shoved one another with their shoulder blazes as they crowded closer to the young Uchiha. His lips remained shut as his elbows rested on the desk, while his folded hand were pressed against his lips, and he stared on ahead, ignoring each and everyone one of the girls. She changed her gaze over to her old friends. They seemed like they had been doing much better without her around and that caused her heart to ache in pain.

“Okay, you guys!” announced Iruka as he motioned for everyone to sit down, “Settle down! I’ll now be announcing the teams….”

Azumi’s eyes wondered back to Sasuke, as they always did. And her heart began to pound loudly. She could hear it next to her ears as she bit down on the inside of her lips, hoping that she would somehow be able to near Sasuke like she once had.

“…Team 7…” Iruka announced, “….Haruno Sakura…Uzumaki Naruto….Uchiha Sasuke…..”

Azumi swore she felt her heart squeeze. She watched the young pink haired girl cheer for victory while the other girls glared. Azumi couldn’t help but sigh in defeat. She knew however, if she and Sasuke were placed in a team together then, it would mean that she would have to face him again and she knew it would be better if they kept their distance for a little while longer.

“Team 8…” Iruka announced, “……Kaito Azumi…..Inuzuka Kiba….. Nara Shikamaru…..”
Azumi froze. She felt her entire insides drop a million flights of stairs and her breath stopped along with an ache that dazed her head, causing it to spin, and making her to feel faint. Was she hearing clearly?

“Are you serious?” She heard Shikamaru mutter annoyed from afar. Iruka went on and continued to read off the list in his hand.

Azumi’s gaze wondered to Shikamaru. Her palms began to sweat, and she could feel herself shaking. She had no idea what she was going to do. She tried hard to hold back her tears that wanted to escape her eyes. A million thoughts raced through her head and before she knew it, everyone’s name had been read off the list.

“Alright, everyone please head to your teachers who are waiting for you all outside…” Iruke informed, “Good luck to you all!”

Azumi rose from her seat. Everyone rushed out excitedly, causing Iruka to run after them worried. Azumi took slow steps towards the door as her eyes wondered ahead.

“Sasuke-kun! Wait for me!” called out the pink voice towards him. She stopped walking, and stood dazed. Azumi watched as the young boy walked out the door along with his two teammates who followed after him.

His light vanilla skin, his dark arsenic toned eyes, his midnight blue spiked hair and his charcoal stoned expression caught Azumi off guard.

Azumi felt an instant tug on her black hair. Her neck arched back, and her teeth gritted.

"Don't touch me!" Azumi screamed as she dug her short nails into the person’s skin, barely making their grasp loosen its grip.

"Where do you think your going, huh?" Arisa shouted as she slammed Azumi’s face into the hard wall.

"Ngh..!"Azumi gritted from the sudden impact.

"Why don't you go around yelling, 'Sasuke! Sasuke!’ anymore, eh? Have you learned your lesson?" She laughed.

Azumi quickly stretched her arm out to reach for Arisa’s face, and slashed out at the girl, forcing Arisa’ clasp to free her hair.

"Don't you ever mention that name again! You dirty slut! You have no right!" Azumi scowled towards her.

"You, how dare you touch me?" She screamed as she lunged out at the young Kaito.

"Stop it already!" Shouted a loud voice.

Azumi’s eyes quickly averted towards the boy in front of her. His hands held Arisa’s mid-air.

"It's been years already! Haven't you grown up?" He asked Arisa annoyed.

Azumi gulped as sweated dripped down her palms.

Arisa gave Azumi a stern look, "Don't think this is over Azumi Kaito!"

She then pulled her arms back and quickly ran off.

“……” Azumi stood silent and afraid. She was confused by his actions and nervous on what to say or do next.

What was she suppose to do?

The boy never turned to face her but stayed there with his back faced towards her for a while, and she knew that he was also thinking about what had just happened.

Azumi’s finger curved up into fists beside her hips. Her heart pounded louder and louder and louder, and for a second she felt as if it were to explode.

Why?

That was the only thing that wanted to leave her lips but they never parted. And he began to take his first step out the door without a word.

Say something…!

She wanted to so badly scream out his name and to make him stop walking away from her. But nothing came out.

Her eyes studied him. His back was so close to her a second ago. He had jumped in front of her to protect her but now he was leaving her like nothing ever happened.

She didn’t deserve to be saved and she felt like complete shit. But she was selfish enough to actually say it, and to say it loud enough for him to hear.

“Shikamaru…” Her lips parted, “Thank you!”