Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

It's A Date

Bo: "Why is it illegal for Fifth World Humans to reproduce? It's stupid, it's like racism." I say angrily to Cynric. I notice him smile softly for a moment before returning his expression to the same unreadable one. I fold my arms unhappily.

"Racism and Fifth World Humans reproducing is very different. Firstly, racism is just prejudice, the only difference between you humans is appearance. The differences between Fifth World Humans are vast. The characteristics that separate a Time Jumper from an Angelicans are huge. I guess why the laws are in place are because of fear."

I raise an eyebrow, "fear? Am I really that scary?"

He hushes me and continues, "fear of not being able to control the offspring. Think of what would happen if a Thorne reproduced with an Angelican. Thornes are perfect athletes. Angelicans are much more intelligent than any other human. Thornes, Time Jumpers, Shape Shifters and Average Humans all have one thing in common - their brains. They're the same size. However, Angelican's brains are bigger and we are much more wise."

The offspring of a Thorne and Angelican would be scary. Think of it. Thornes are evil. Angelicans are super intelligent. Angelicans are meant to spread kindness and love and all of that junk... but what would be more dominating? A Thorne gene? Or an Angelican gene? It's scary to think about.

"Would my brain be big?" I ask. It's a good question.

Cynric smiles widely and shows me those perfect teeth, "I'm not sure but according to my views of you, I'm guessing it'd be the smallest brain in the world." I feel my eyebrows furrow and automatically punch him in the arm. He continued to laugh loudly. And then it turned quiet between us. I try to think about what is actually going on and how life will be in The Fifth World but I can't help it. I just think about him. Almost all the time.

"There's no hope in us being together, is there?" I ask him hopefully. We're on our way home and the blocks of retail stores have almost ended. Cynric seems to be curious as we walk. He looks at each Average Human, studies them and then continues to look through the windows of each store. It's quite strange, actually. He's worse than a tourist. I think I'm just waiting for him to pull out a camera and take a photo of everything he sees.

He sighs deeply and shakes his head, "no, Bo, there isn't."

I look away from him and try to hide the disappointment and sadness on my face. I think he noticed but I know he won't say anything. He'll leave me to be upset. I love Cynric. I love him so much. Does he love me? I sigh. I'm not even sure anymore.

"Bo!" I hear a voice, instinctively turn around and smile when I see Jonathan running towards Cynric and I. He looks at Cynric with a strange expression before he approaches. His blue eyes seem even more brilliant today. He is wearing a dark shade of blue jeans and a printed white tee-shirt.

"Jonathan," I say and can't help but smile, I guess I'm excited to see him, "how are you?" I notice how Cynric is studying him and just waiting for the moment to touch his flesh.

"Great," he says to me and then looks at Cynric up and down, "who's your friend?"

"Oh," I say, I've never been anywhere in public during the day with Cynric, people who I've seen from school must be wondering who he is and what the hell he is doing with someone like me. I look at Cynric and try to think of an excuse.

Cynric simply smiles, holds out his hand to Jonathan, "I'm Bo's cousin."

Jonathan shakes Cynric's hand, happily, and introduces himself. "I'm Jonathan. Bo and I go to school together."

Cynric looks towards me, smiles and raises an eyebrow, "really?"

Jonathan doesn't seem to notice but he just nods his head and then looks at me. I wonder what Cynric is thinking. He touched Jonathan's hand, I wonder what he is seeing. What is it like to see somebodies past? I wonder what Jonathan's past holds. Gosh, it would be fantastic if I could read minds instead of being a stupid manipulator. I hate people who are manipulative. They're evil.

"So, um, Bo? Do you think we could talk?" Jonathan asks me. He sort of cocks his head to the side as if he is wanting me to excuse myself from Cynric for a moment and go off with Jonathan... to talk. I look at him nervously, turn to Cynric but he is looking away from us with a small smile on his face. What the hell is going on?

I bite my lip and turn back to Jonathan, "yeah, sure."

I follow him a few metres away from Cynric. We stand outside an ice-cream parlour. It is full of children licking ice-creams whilst the chocolate topping covers the lower half of their face. Their mothers are fussing over tea and coffee.

"What's up?" I ask. Jonathan scratches his head nervously and he can't seem to make eye contact with me.

"Are you okay?" I ask him. He looks like he's about to be sick. I then notice how his eyes narrow. I look down and notice he is looking at my wrist.

"What happened?"

I shrug, "I fell."

He raises an eyebrow and the sick feeling disappears from his face but he still looks nervous, "you attract trouble."

I nod my head and wait for him to finally spit it out. Why did he have to take me away like that? Gosh, I feel like he's going to propose or ask me out or something. Maybe he's just asking for directions.

"Um," he stutters and then finally looks at me, "will um, well... uh, do you want to go get dinner with me tonight?"

I feel my cheeks blush and stare at him with wide eyes. Is Jonathan really asking me this? He stares at me nervously, his expression quite terrified and then I smile. "Yeah, yeah," I nod my head, "definitely."

A grin appears across his face, "great, um, I'll come by your place about 7 tonight."

"Yeah," I say, my voice a little shaky, I almost turn away from him but I stop myself, reach up and plant a small peck on his cheek, "I'll see you then."