Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

My Average Human

Bo: "Well, you're going on a date with Jonathan. I'm sure that's made your day." Cynric says sarcastically.

I roll my eyes. I like Jonathan, I've liked him and known him for so long. He's a great guy and what can I say? I'm only human. Sure, I maybe in love with Cynric but it's not like I'll restrict myself and not look at other males. Nothing will come out of what Cynric and I have... or don't, so I'm not just going to sit here and wait and hope for something to happen.
Because it won't.

"What did you see?" I ask Cynric and ignore his bitter statement, he likes to talk rubbish sometimes, "in his past, when you touched him?"

"You make me sound like a freak."

I smile and shrug, "you sort of are."

We're almost home. We've posted the letter. Everything is done. Boarding passes have been purchased. It's all ready. I'm going to the Fifth World and I'm going to learn how to control everything. Afterward I think I'll come back home. There's no need to be in the Fifth World once I know how to control my powers. My family comes first. Even if that does mean I see Cynric less and less.

"He's seems like a pleasant young man," Cynric said, "he's had a lucky life, talented when it comes to sports and the opposite sex, sort of lacks intelligence when it comes to simple mandatory school subjects such as English and Mathematics. He's also failing Psychology. You should tutor him."

"You don't like him?" I ask.

I feel like I need Cynric's approval. At the moment, Cynric knows Jonathan more than anyone else in the world. Everything that has ever happened to him, Cynric has seen. I also feel kind of obliged to ask him - to seek his approval to know if Jonathan is suitable and if Cynric is okay with me being with him... but it's not like Cynric has any claim over me. He has established that we can't be together. And that we won't.

"Not particularly," he says quite happily, "although he is kind, I don't quite trust him. His slight habit of being arrogant and careless has gotten him in trouble before. You should be careful."

"Well," I said, "will anything like what happened with Derek happen with Jonathan?"

He stared at me hard, "no."

"Then that's all I need to know."

I left home with Jonathan at seven. I was reluctant to tell Mum where I was going but I wanted her to stop worrying, so I admitted it. She insisted on meeting Jonathan and for the first time in a while, she was happy. She was acting, I know that. She wants to hide her depression, which is clearly obvious. It's not like people don't talk anyway. Everyone knows about my mother being depressed.

"Your Mum seems nice," Jonathan commented as we drove in his car. I don't know anything about cars but Jonathan's car is nice. It has leather seats and is a dark grey colour. It's also a BMW. I'm sure his parents bought it for him.

"Yeah," I say quietly, "she has her ups... and her downs."

"She's a lot like you."

I nod my head and smile, "I know. Everything good inside me has come from her and my Dad - even if they're not my birth parents."

"I didn't know you were adopted," Jonathan said to me, "but now that I think about it I can definitely understand."

"My black hair and my Mum's and brother's red hair kind of gives it away. I think I used to be more like my Mum but now that she's sick she's different... I think I'm different too."

He shrugged, Jonathan had quite a long conversation with Theresa earlier, it was good, they got along well, "I think you're more like her than you think - and that's a compliment."

I chose a dress for tonight. Cynric wanted to help me choose appropriate clothing. He kept choosing baggy jeans, turtle neck shirts and long sleeved cardigans for me to wear. I ended up kicking him out of the house and sending him home. He was no help. Within five minutes I chose my outfit - a simple black dress, a warm jacket and some flat shoes. Easy.

"How's football going?" I ask Jonathan.

He looks over at me and smiles, I know he can talk for hours about football, "it's great. We've had the perfect season so far."

"That's good," I say quickly, hopefully he won't continue with the subject. I know nothing about football, therefore, I won't be able to contribute to this awkward conversation.

"Yeah, oh and next week we're versing Portsmouth. You should come to the match with me and the boys. It'd be fun."

I smile, hell no. "Sorry, I'm going away."

He looks at me again, "oh," he says with a disappointed tone, I suddenly feel guilty, "where are you going?"

I smile at him, a nice smile, "Australia. I've got family over there and it'd just be nice for Mum to get away from here. She misses Dad so much and she just needs to get out more. I think Australia is just the place."

Dinner was nice. Jonathan and I were having long and interesting conversations. He is so kind and quite smart - Cynric makes him sound like an airhead. Conversations just kept going. We barely ate our food but it was nice. He told me about his parents, how they're going, we talked about school, about our little brothers, about everything.
I had a great time and I think I like Jonathan even more.

"Are you ready to go?" he asks once we had finally finished eating our meal, dessert and drank all of our drinks. I think we had been at the restaurant for almost three hours.

I laugh, "yeah, it's probably time to leave."

We walk to the car, side by side, our hands inching closer and closer to one another. It's cold out. I left my jacket in the car so Jonathan shrugs out of his and puts it on me. It's warm and it smells good. It smells fresh, cool and minty. I smile softly when he opens my door. Very chivalrous.
I hop inside and in a few seconds he does too. He starts the car and we begin to drive home.

"How did you hurt your hand?" he asks me as he looks at it. It's still wrapped up. Cynric says he'll have to put a cast on it in a few days. He'll probably do it in the Fifth World. I smile automatically. Ahhh, the Fifth World. I can't wait.

"Oh," I said, "I was walking down the stairs at home and I tripped."

His eyes widened slightly, "bloody hell, Bo, you're lucky you only broke your wrist."

I smile and say, "clumsy me," just so he'll drop it.

I wonder what Cynric is doing... and where he is. Probably at home. His home. But then I wonder... he was quite curious as to where Jonathan and I were going tonight. I bet he followed us. I'm sure he's on his way home right now. I laugh quietly. If Jonathan kisses me tonight, I hope Cynric sees it.
I also hope that Jonathan kisses me.
Soon I am home and Jonathan is walking me towards the front door. The lights are on in the lounge room and I'm sure Mum is waiting up for me. Adam is probably asleep in his bed or on her lap. I sigh. I sort of don't want this night to end. I think I found another reason, tonight, for me not to leave the Average Human World.
My first and second reasons are Mum and Adam... and the third? Jonathan.

"Thanks so much for tonight, Jonathan, I had a great time." I say with a small smile. He is towering over me. If it were anyone else I might find it intimidating but not with Jonathan. He's kind and polite and genuine. He's gentle not scary or rude.

"So did I," he says. He looks nervous and is looking down at me carefully. Maybe he won't make the first move. Or maybe he doesn't want a kiss at all. Maybe he just wants to go home as quickly as possible. Maybe he had a horrible time and he's just lying to me so I don't feel horrible. It's quiet but I can hear my mother shuffling around inside the house. I think she knows we're home.
I want to know... does Jonathan actually like me? Or am I imagining things? There is a way...

I smile softly. "Jonathan, tell me, do you actually like me?"

He answers almost immediately, "yes." A strange expression appears across his face and I think he is trying to understand why he answered me so quickly and urgently. I smile. He doesn't know that I just manipulated him.

"Do you want to kiss me, Jonathan?" I ask him.

"Yes."

I stare at him, at his pale skin, at his dark, chocolate brown hair and his beautiful eyes. He wants to kiss me. I want to kiss him. Fine. I almost make the first move but he has already taken a step towards me and is leaning his face in to mine. My heart rate quickens as his lips touch my flesh. I am kissing him back and definitely enjoying it. My eyelids close and the kiss is beautiful and sweet. His hand is at my cheek, holding my face to his whilst his other hand is around my waist. I am kissing him back and I am thinking only of him. Chocolate brown hair. Beautiful blue eyes. Pale skin. Deep and kind voice.
My Average Human, Jonathan.