Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

Your Scented Letters

Bo: It took a good hour to organise all of my things into their right places. My pants all went into my drawers, as did my pyjama's, underwear and all of the other things that don't need to be put on a clothes hanger. Everything else I put in the closet. I'm not sure about dresses and things, not that I wear them a lot, but with this grand ball or something coming up, I think I'd like to have some kinds of options in my closet. I'm glad I brought them. But then again - I don't think it'd really matter if I did bring them or not. It'd only take me a couple of seconds to get them from home and bring them back. It's quite fascinating and exhilerating - Cynric informed me that even if I am in another world, I can still jump back to the Average Human World. My home. It's easy.

"You know, if you really are worried about the grand ball - and dresses - you might as well go shopping in Paris or something. Or better yet, jump into a store, pick up your favourite dress and jump back here."

Thoughts like those have been on my mind for years. Yes, I can rob banks and probably not get caught. Yes, I can probably take anything I want from anywhere at any time.
But I won't. My entire life, all I have ever wanted to be is normal. I wanted to fit in. Now here I am, I belong.

"Felicity seems like a piece of work," I mutter to Cynric after shoving my bags into the corner of the closet. They fall flat to the floor and I angrily kick it before closing the doors. They can stay there.

Cynric shrugs, "it's what I expected."

"I thought Thorne's dont come around Hargon. I'm pretty sure you said that they live in the mountains or something," I say to him and sit down on my bed. It's just Cynric and I in here. Felicity and Solomon left a while ago. I think he's giving her a grand tour of the grounds - it doesn't seem like a bad idea but I think I'd rather unpack in peace without her in the background, analysing my every move and probably silently criticising my every move - or just thinking typical, Thorne, evil thoughts.

"I said it's rare to find a Thorne around here, they base their homes in the mountains. But just because they aren't really around doesn't mean that some from the Average World won't come here. Angelicans not only trace down Time Jumpers, Shape Shifters and other Angelicans, you know?"

I feel my eyebrows furrow, "so," I say, "what's her story?" Knowing Cynric, he probably found some way to touch her skin, whether he simply bumped her or touched her hand as she brushed passed.

He smiles and shakes his head, "I don't know. I didn't get a chance. Solomon knows me well, he'll protect Felicity from my power."

I snort angrily and hiss, "what danger is your power? You just see someone's past. It's not like you'll hurt her or something."

"Knowledge is power, Bo," he said with a sigh and fell down onto the bed beside me, our backs and heads are both against the wall, he is right beside me, "you out of all people should know that."

I sigh. I guess he is right. Whatever lies in Felicity's past, which is everything, Cynric can see. I close my eyes and let my head lean onto his shoulder. Why am I so tired? Or maybe, maybe I'm not tired. Maybe it's the fact that I feel more alone than I have for so long. For months and months all I have ever done is look after my mother, my brother... and now they're not even here. I'm always doing something. Always talking. Always moving. Now I'm just... waiting.
Waiting for class, waiting for myself to learn more about myself. Waiting to control my powers.

"Is it possible to contact the Average Human World from here, Cynric?" I ask him.

His should shrugs beneath my head, "not exactly, no."

"Oh," I mumble, "I was hoping to write a letter to Jonathan and maybe even one to Mum and Adam."

"It has been two days."

I can feel his breathing beneath my face, the beating of his heart, the vibrations his chest makes when he speaks, "I know but I want them all to know that I'm alright. I haven't gone a day without seeing Adam or Mum for a long time. And Jonathan? I think I owe it to him."
"You could always write a letter and jump home. It'd only take five minutes. Tea is in an hour or so. You should get started now."

Dear Jonathan,

I hope you're doing okay. I'm loving it here in Melbourne. The weather is warm, the sun is almost always shining. I haven't done much yet as we're all quite tired. By the time this letter reaches you, I'd probably be lying on a beach in the sun, enjoying the views of the ocean.
It's so good to see my family again, I know Mum is really enjoying it.
I think we're going into the city tomorrow. My cousin is going to show me the best places to shop - which I might find a little boring - and then some tourist attractions.
I can't wait to see you again.

Bo


Cynric instructed me not to put a return address on Jonathan's letter. I'll just have to jump back home, walk to his place, deliver the letter and then jump to Australia. It won't take long at all.

Dear Mum and Adam,

I miss you both dearly, you have no idea how strange it is to have a quiet house. I think about you each day and I have even looked over my photos of you guys a couple of times, just so I can see your faces.
I know you're enjoying it there - spending time with Dad's family and just being on holiday. Enjoy it, please. And Mum, don't worry about me. I'm perfectly fine. I love you, I love Adam.
Jonathan's taking me out to dinner to a fancy restaurant tonight, I'm looking forward to it a lot. Should be fun.
Hope to see a postcard soon, or maybe a letter with some photos? I'd love to see photos.
Can't wait to see you again, love you more than the world itself.

Love,

Bo
xx