Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

Seabrooke

Bo: "It is a pleasure to meet you, Bo," the young man says to me, he is leading my horse through the forest, a woman with long black hair is leading Felicity's, "I am Caine."

"You're a Time Jumper," I say to him, I am curious about this boy, he looks around my age, maybe a bit older but he seems kind and I am interested in speaking to him, I've never actually spoken to a Time Jumper before, well, other than Nancy. "I haven't spoken to many Time Jumpers before."

He turns his head slightly to me and smiles whilst raising an eyebrow, "and where might I ask you have come from, Bo? I am still trying to understand why you have arrived with the great Calhoun Hargon. He always come alone."

I blow out some air and shrug, "it's a long story."

"I have time," he says to me, "there is a fifteen minute walk ahead, a long and boring meeting with the Council once in Seabrooke and then I expect you will be able to roam around town."

It's strange, this boy, well, young man, seems trustworthy and I have only known him for a few minutes. He isn't much older than me, he is kind, polite and he seems... warm. His hair is a bit long, brown and pulled in all directions. I'm sure he styles it himself.

I shrug at him, "okay but it can be a bit dark at times..."

"I think I can handle it."

I tell him everything, everything I know. It's basically half my life. He is surprised in some moments, curious in others and surprisingly relaxed when I tell him of yesterday when Calhoun saved us from the government's servants. I guess it doesn't surprise him.

"So," he says to me, "I guess I could call you... illegal?" He laughs when he says that as if it is an absurd way of thinking. "Truly," he says, "how can somebody's existence be illegal?"

By the time I finish speaking I can see clearing of trees in the distance, it is as if the sea of green and grey has somehow been drained... we come across a large wall of stone. It reaches above the highest trees that were in the forest. I am amazed that nobody has discovered this place - at least nobody that I know of.

"Fascinating," I hear Felicity say, the woman leading Felicity's horse stands beside Caine and she smiles softly at him and nods her head. "Where's the gate?"

"That's the beauty of this place," Caine says to Felicity but he doesn't take his eyes from the enormous stone wall, it is a grey colour, it resembles the colours of the forest, that is probably why I couldn't see it earlier. It blends. "The gate is sealed with an Angelican spell, an ancient one that very few know of." I watch Caine take a few steps forward towards the wall, he flattens the palm of his hand against it and breathes in. "This is home."

The young girl who I saw before, Isabelle, steps forward as everyone begins to gather. The wall is nothing but stone. Her almost white hair dangles from her head, brushes from side to side as she walks. She stops beside Caine and it is as if she is silently telling him to step back. He does and then she pulls her Angelican dagger from her pocket and lets the blade touch the stone. It makes a sharp noise and it echoes in my ears making me cringe. She opens her mouth, speaks some words that I do not understand at all.
There is a deep sound, as if it is thunder, the ground begins to shake. My fingers automatically touch the horses hair. Isabelle barely notices, neither does Caine. I look around and stare at Felicity who I know is having a hard time trying to conceal her fear. I return my gaze to the wall, it begins to shake and the rumbling sound continues. It is as if someone has taken a pen and is drawing a line through it, the stone is cracking, the lines continue until a gate is formed. It comes to life. Carvings appear. Latches appear. Finally once it has finished the two doors forming the gate slowly open, dust floats into the atmosphere. I watch with fascination. Once the gates have fully opened I peer into the town of Seabrooke and cannot help but smile.
For once since arrival in the Fifth World I know that I am entirely safe.

Isabelle turns around, cocks her head and indicates for everyone to enter. She walks ahead and everybody follows. My eyes widen once we enter. I see houses. Houses that are as old as the houses in Hargon. I smile. How long has this place been here? People are everywhere, going about their daily lives. Some look up at us, nod their heads in greeting, some smile and some... are quite suspiscious of these outsiders.

"Caine," I say, "how many people live here?"

"Three quarters of a thousand," he replies, "we have a market, a school, a church, a council, homes and other things that are incorporated in everyday life. It is no city but it is enough. Here we are free. Free of the corrupt government. Free of evil."

"Were you born here?" I ask him. Caine seems relatively normal, what could he be possibly running from? Maybe his parents came here long ago. Maybe he was born into this place or something. "Did you break the law too?"

I notice his eyes look down at the ground nervously, he coughs and then looks ahead as we travel along the road. I watch him, observe him and wonder what is running through his mind.

"I'm sorry," I say to him, "it's none of my business."

"No," he looks up at me and smiles, "it's okay. There are few laws in the Fifth World... one of them just happens to be an inconvenience to me." What could that be? Is he a hybrid or something? Is he in love with someone of another species? I watch his face, the smile is wiped clean but he speaks normally, casually, "the government doesn't exactly agree with same sex tendencies."

Cynric: "Ahhhh," one of the female Council members says to me, she appears to be about thirty years old, a Shape Shifter. We have been introduced to the Council, they are quite fascinated and excited about our arrival. "We have heard word about you, Cynric, and your friends." The woman has short, choppy black hair with red streaks through it. She is... pretty... I guess, for a middle aged woman. She looks over towards Bo and Felicity who are standing side by side, their hands almost touching. "Which one of you is the hybrid?"

Bo shoots a look to me and I nod my head at her. "That would be me," she sees quietly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Bo. The city of Hargon is on alert for you, letters have been sent across the lands in order for your arrest. It warms me to know that you seek refuge here."

A man begins to speak, I am guessing he is an Angelican since he is young, beautiful and dressed in the typical white clothing, "In all honesty this would be the safest place for a hybrid - after all, we have other 'criminals' hidden here too." His eyes flicker towards the back of the room, I follow his gaze, he stares at Isabelle who stares back at him, "daughter, I ask you to escort our guests to the cottage behind Council house. They may stay here aslong as they desire."

Isabelle bows her head, "yes, father."

"I thank you for your hospitality, Wendell." Calhoun says before following Isabelle out from the Council hall. Felicity takes my hand and then we follow Calhoun. Cynric is not far behind us.