Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

The Stables

Bo: Cynric's hand hasn't left mine since we left the outsides of Council house. He speaks every so often but is mostly quiet. I know he is sad... sad because of Isabelle and sad because we are leaving but I all I can think about is how happy I am that he is safe.
We have almost reached the gate into Seabrooke... or for us, the gate out of Seabrooke... forever. All my things, everything I own, all of it, is staying here only to burn or be destroyed by the Thornes. I then remember; everything I have brought here. Callahans' suitcase with is initials in gold, the photo's of my family... Mum, Dad, Adam. I feel insides churn.

"Cynric," I whisper, "I have to go back. I need to get my things."

His hand tightens around mine, "Bo, you can't. It's too late."

"No!" I urge but I try to stay as quiet as I can. I can just slip away, nobody would notice, I'd be back within a few seconds anyway. I'll be fine. I can't leave here without Callahan's suitcase or the photo's... I just can't. "I'll be back soon."

Cynric takes both of my hands and I force myself to stay just to hear him speak. I love him, what can I say? "Bo, please, the Thornes are probably within the walls as we speak."

I shake my head at him. I have to risk it. I can't let my things stay here. Besides, there are Time Jumpers, including Caine, who are back in town anyway, gathering food and other essentials. We're running again. I'm tired of running.

"I'm sorry," I whisper and let our faces touch. I close my eyes and feel the warmth of his face on mine. People pass us, they barely take notice of us. This may be illegal outside of Seabrooke... but within these walls and with these people... this is not. I love Cynric and he loves me. We are not criminals.
I vanish.

Cynric: "Bo!" I yell but it is too late.

She is gone. I look around, see a few people look up at me as if I have gone mad and then I turn back towards town. It's only a few hundred metres away or so. I can make it. If she gets into trouble I'll be there. I'm sure if the Thornes were there there'd be a lot of noise and probably buildings going up in flames. I begin to run but feel a hand pull on my shoulder pull me back. I stop, swivel around and feel anger cover my face.

"Cynric," Janine says to me, "what are you doing? You know the danger! You cannot go back there!"

"Bo is there," I say to her, "I have to."

I can hear the urgency in my voice, the desperation to get to Bo as quickly as I can. What if something happens to her?

"She is a Time Jumper, Cynric! The moment you get there she would be back already. Please. I'm asking you to stay."

I shrug her hand from my shoulder but remain staring out into the night. Come on, Bo. Come on. I look around and try to see her... but she is not in sight... the many faces around me are unfamiliar. I feel Janine wrap both hands around an arm of mine. There is a loud sound and I, as well as almost everyone else around me, realises that the loud thuds of the demolition of the Seabrooke wall has stopped... and nobody knows how long the thuds haven't been heard. The sound isn't the silence but it is something... human. Voices.

"Oh no," Janine whispers.

Behind the few buildings that divide the rest of town and us, the population, we can see light... light that isn't normally there. We can already the smell smoke and can only imagine the many homes and buildings going up in flames. I can hear whimpers of some women, feel the tension from everyone else.
I can imagine what all of them are thinking... this is our home and all we can do is run away.

"Janine," I hiss but do not even turn to look at her, I just look ahead longing to run there, to Council cottage just to make sure Bo is safe, "Bo's in there, I have to help her!" I struggle but she keeps her fingers firmly around my arm.

"Just wait, Cynric!" she yells at me, her voice is hard and sharp, for once she sounds like someone in authority... someone who isn't always flamboyant and happy... she sounds like Nancy. "Just wait," she breathes out, "and look."

I take in a deep breath and find my body calming itself. I look out towards the trees, into the darkness hoping to see some kind of sign of Bo. She is not in sight. I turn around and look over Janine's shoulder. Many of the people are beginning to exit through the Seabrooke gate, they are disappearing quickly. I look back again out towards the town, hopelessly, and I sigh.
Suddenly she appears, she doesn't look tired or afraid or anything... she is simply smiling with her black suitcase and a bag in tow. I smile, shrug Janine's hand from me and run towards her taking her belongings in my hands.

"Do not do that again," I say to her. The tone of my voice does not sound like a warning... just a voice of relief. I smile again at her and we begin to walk back amongst the crowd with Janine following slowly behind us.

Bo: The night is growing colder and colder the further we walk away from Seabrooke. Every so often we all hear the sounds of crashing... stone against stone...and the roars of fire. Nobody looks back at Seabrooke... I'm sure the clouds of smoke will be reaching high into the sky but the height of the trees surrounding us protect us from that horrible sight.

"Where are we going, Cynric?" I ask him.

It is so cold beneath the trees, even colder than before. The children are becoming restless and afraid. A lot of them are asleep but if they're awake they're crying because of the cold, or how much their feet hurt or because they want to go home. Their parents are telling them that they can't.

"We are going to my home," I hear a voice and turn to see Calhoun walking at my side.

Goodness. I haven't seen him since Council House. I'm glad that he's okay, though.

"Is there enough room?" Cynric asks me.

He manages to juggle my things in one hand and with the other he curls his fingers with mine. My head moves slightly, I don't look in his direction but I do look up at him and feel my body fill with warmth.

"There are hundreds of people that make up the population of Seabrooke. I have plenty of bedrooms but it is clearly inadequate... many will sleep on the floor tonight but it is better than sleeping in the forest or in the mountains."

"They can all fit in your home?" I ask him. He looks towards me, smiles once and nods his head.

"It will be difficult but I am sure we can use the horses stables if needed. It is warm in there and dry. As I said - it is better than sleeping in the forest or in the mountains."

It is strange making a bed in the stables. Most of the women and children are sleeping in Calhoun's house further up the mountain. Janine, being the stubborn young woman she is, decided she wanted to stay up in Calhoun's house. Felicity, Nancy, Cynric and I are all in the stables along with a lot of other people. There are few children down here, few women but a lot of men. Isabelle's body was placed in one of the very corner's of the cave in a bed of hay. Wendell and his wife, Luka, sleep beside her.
It is early morning when people begin to settle and fall asleep. Cynric and I remain awake. He tells me about tonight, how many Thornes he saw and the words they kept saying... they want me and nobody knows why.

"Are you afraid?" he whispers to me. Even the quietest words will echo throughout the cave. I look at him and look over his beauty... I then see the dark rings around his eyes. He looks so exhausted.

I yawn quietly and shake my head with drooping eyelids, "surprisingly no. I'm sure I am afraid but at the moment I'm not. I feel so safe here."

His lips turn upwards the tiniest fraction. I stare at him and sigh. He is so perfect. I love everything about him; his courage, his beauty, his stubbornness and everything else.

"You know what happens after this, don't you, Cynric?" I ask him. He doesn't answer but I know that silently, inside, he knows. "There will be a war." I whisper. "Sooner or later many lives will be lost."

His head is resting in one of his hands, that arm is pitched up with his elbow in the hay. He faces me, his body completely facing mine. His other hand touches my cheek, "And I will not let anything happen to you."

I take his hand away from my face, "you cannot protect me forever, Cynric."

"I can try."

I scoff quietly and shake my head, "I can take care of myself. I think you'd be surprised at the skills I have gained."

I notice his fingers slip beneath the hay, the rest of his hand follows as does his wrist. He sighs and pulls his hand back up again. "You have taken quite an interest in Caine."

"He is a great mentor," I say quietly and instinctively turn my head towards the rest of the cave where people are sleeping. Somebody is snoring and it is echoing quite loudly.

"I do not understand what you will do with this love triangle...or square."

I feel myself smile, "square? What are you talking about?"

"Well, there is me, Jonathan, you and Caine. Must I really explain it?" he asks me. He appears embarrassed or maybe just disappointed.

I laugh but throw my hand over my mouth to avoid my laughter echoing throughout the cave, Cynric smiles, "sorry," I whisper, "but Cynric I am in no way interested in Caine. He is my friend."

Cynric sighs and is obviously doubtful.

"Cynric," I say and take both of his hands in mine, he avoids eye contact, "Caine is gay."

His eyes suddenly return to mine and he raises an eyebrow, "no. No way."

I nod my head and smile, "yes."

He laughs, feeling quite idiotic and without another thought my hands touch his face. His skin is soft and smooth, towards his chin there is stubble. His eyes close when I touch him. He is so warm and so perfect. I move across the hay and lie my body beside his, my hands still touching his face. I take both his cheeks and pull his lips towards mine. His lips are even softer, I feel my heart pound as his lips very gently and very sweetly kiss me. His hands are at my waist as half of his body leans over mine. My fingers take clumps of his shirt, my mouth breaks open the kiss until I can taste his mouth.
There was one thing or one person, that at that moment, did not come to mind... the one person who I probably love as much as I love Cynric; Jonathan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just like to say - thanks everyone for their comments. I greatly appreciate them. I love the advice and am definitely taking it all into consideration. If I haven't thanked you personally for your comment yet then I am sorry! I'll get round toi t soon :)