Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

Doomsday

Bo: I walk out of my bedroom, feel the tightness of my body suit and sigh. The guards are there waiting for me, each look at me with strange expressions. They are curious. Once deciding that they have stared at me long enough one looks at the other and he nods. They both move quickly through the halls, too quickly for my liking but obviously too slowly for theirs. They're impatient but oh well, if they want my... help, then they can slow down a bit I think.

"How long will this take?" I ask one of them. Both look at each other but neither answer. I roll my eyes and groan inside.

It takes probably three minutes to reach the Royal's Chamber. It is just as dirty as usual but I find it surprising since the rest of the buildings are clean and furnished. This one definitely looks like a chamber, it's wet and gritty and muddy... but the thrones each royal sits on are all clean and covered with bright, red, velvet cushioning. Most of them smile slyly when I enter. The guards stop at the large doors and wait there. I step into the centre of the room and await. At the corner of my eye I see a flash, or a blur and Colt appears by Jasmine's throne, he puts an arm up on her chair's back and leans against it.

"You have accepted our proposal, have you not, hybrid?" I hear a male Thorne ask. The one who sits in the middle of them all, with the largest throne.

"I have," I say. He seems so young. I wonder if he possesses any false genes given to him strictly by science. Gosh, when does it ever cross the line? When do experiments and when does science break the laws of nature?

"And you are willing to kill in order to protect the lives of your family, friends and yourself? No matter the amount of casuals?"

"Yes."

He smiles softly and strokes his stubble along his chin with his thumb and index finger. "I am impressed, who would have thought someone with Angelican blood running through their veins could be so selfish?"

"Not all Angelicans are good," I say quickly - probably too quickly. But I'm right. Over the last few weeks I have met many Angelicans who haven't impressed me at all.

"And not all Thornes are evil," he laughs once, "we will proceed tomorrow, Bo, I ask you to now return to your room and enjoy your stay with us. Rest as long as you can, tomorrow will be a long day."

I raise an eyebrow, "that's it? That's all you wanted to talk to me about?"

He shrugs, "yes. Colt will escort you back to your room."

"I don't need an escort," I say, "those two guards over there are fine anyway." He smiles at me and shakes his head.

"Go on, Colt," he says. Colt nods his head and comes over towards me, he places a hand on the chain connecting my shackles and pulls me along like a slave. I lurch forward, grunt, and scowl at the same time at him. It isn't the walk back to my room with one of the strongest humans to walk this world, possibly the universe, that scares me... it is the fact that I will be sleeping here tonight that scares me.
I am locked in my room with the cuffs still around my wrists. Screw the Thornes. Screw every evil bone in their body. There is one thing I know; they will not screw me. I am going to get out of here, one way or another, even if it means I have to manipulate people that are innocent, even if it means... live are lost because of me. I shudder as I sit down on my bed, my clothing squeaking as I do so. I look at the candles that fill the room and one by one I put each out.
I am tired, afraid and definitely missing those I care about the most. I think about Cynric, wonder how he is going and if he is safe. I think about Janine, hell, Janine of all people. I think about Nancy. Calhoun. Caine. Lucius. I may not know Lucius entirely but a part of me loves Lucius because a part of me loves Caine, even if I have known him for just a few days.
I sigh deeply and walk over towards my bed. The covers are velvety, dark yet somehow alluring. I am so tired, I fall onto my bed, crawl - very slowly since I am cuffed - beneath the covers. I close my eyes and I welcome the darkness.

Just as expected, morning comes soon enough. I am awoken by movement in the room, it quickly disappears before I even open my eyes. I assume it is someone coming in to wake me but I am surprised with a tray of breakfast consisting of a glass of juice, toast, bacon and eggs and a banana. The eggs and bacon are still hot. I crawl out of my bed and ignore the sound of my shackles jingling as I move. I sit on the sofa by the coffee table and stare, curiously, at my breakfast.
I wonder if they have poisoned it. I scoff. No. Of course they haven't. They need me. Without me all they have is strength, hell, not even strength is enough to take over this world. They need to cheat and they'll go to all lengths to do it. I sigh, pick up a knife and fork and cut away at my breakfast. When I chew, I chew with caution, I try to find any odd tastes but everything is surprisingly... tasty. After a few minutes my breakfast is gone. I struggle to make myself look at least decent. I comb my fingers through my hair but eventually find a hairbrush in a drawer of a cabinet. I also wipe my face and attempt to brush my teeth with my finger.

Colt comes to my room and leads me back to the Royal's Chamber. It is there that I am told of every detail of today, it is there that I am told to return to my rags for clothing. I am then lead through many tunnels, each lead through the mountain, up and down, side to side, long and narrow corridors fitted with no lighting at all. At first I was afraid but soon I felt comfortable in the darkness... but the first sight of light, the revelation of the outside world reminded me that today is the day when I must cross the line.
This day, of all days, decides my fate and the worlds.