Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

The Ambush

Bo: I wonder if they know, I wonder if they know how hard it is for me to do this... how cruel and evil I feel. I am no better than a Thorne right about now, right? My feet drag along and soon we come across a large forest. Colt follows me behind some trees. He hands me a back pack and tells me to pull the clothes from it. Pulling them out is easy enough, getting them on is the challenge. Colt takes off my shackles and stands on the other side of the tree while I slowly and nervously take off the leather suit I have been wearing since last night. I put on my old clothes, the ones that are bloody and disgusting. They have holes and tears everywhere.
When I am done I inform Colt, he comes back from behind the tree and places the shackles around my wrists. His hands are gentle and I find it surprising. He is gentle... look at those hands... the tanned complexion, so big and strong yet so soft and gentle. I look up at his face and even over the strong and hard expression... he is just a boy... a boy stuck in a man's body, a boy who could be good... a boy who is not who he was born to be and that would be a good thing. I almost pity him.

His fingers leave my wrists and he looks down at me, "you feel sad for me?"

"You know what I am feeling?"

He nods his head, "I can read emotions... sometimes it can be distracting and others... terrible, but right now? I'm just confused."

"Your whole life, everything about you, it has all come down to this," I say quietly to him, "what a life it must be for you... training and taking these serums and injecting yourself... to create something you are not."

"Do not pity me," he spits, "my entire life has come down to this day. I have waited for this day for years."

"You have been waiting for this day? You have actually been excited? What excites you about death?!"

He turns away from me but he doesn't walk away exactly, he then turns back, an even harder expression on his face, he points his index finger at my face, "I am a Thorne, do not doubt anything about me, Bo. Watch your tongue."

I wrap my fingers around his wrist but he doesn't even move, he's too strong, "You could be different. You could be good. Think of the good you can do. What life is this, Colt-"

My words are cut short as is my breath. In a blink of an eye I am facing the other way, my feet not even touching the ground. I choke out a breath but it is almost impossible. My eyes feel all watery and I stare at the face in front of me. Colt. His eyes dark, his jaw clenched. I cough as he stares at me, just one hand of his around my neck.

"Speak out of line again and your punishment will be severe," he says to me with a very strong voice.

I barely even hear him, all I can think about is having air in my lungs again, I cough again, "let me go."

He does so and I fall to the ground on my bottom, hitting my head into the tree trunk behind me. I cough as my hands fly around my neck. My airways open, they struggle and boy, it hurts. Gosh, I wish Cynric was here right now.

"Get up," Colt spits at me before he walks away and probably returns to everyone else. I look at the ground, feel my body ache... I won't even let myself touch the back of my head. It's probably bleeding or something. I just wish I could sink into this Earth... and never see the light of day again. My fingers take some twigs and dirt. I lean back onto the tree, sigh, and I hear Colt's voice from further away. He is calling me. Back to hell I go. I stand up, dust myself off and I return to the Thornes.
After another ten minutes or so of walking we come to this small hill and even though the hill is small... it definitely has a hell of a view. If you stand on top of it you'll have the most perfect view in the world... behind me, there are mountains, most likely the ones we have come from... in front is the City of Hargon. Jasmine says it won't take long to get there at all. I turn around slowly and look up at Colt. He stands at least ten metres from me and seems to be concentrating... quite hard on something. I walk slowly towards him, definitely knowing that whatever he is concentrating on is very important. I only hope it isn't some innocent life I am about to manipulate. He turns around abruptly, his eyes stare at mine and then he opens his mouth.

"Ambush!" he yells loudly.

Almost everyone turns around. We stand on the top of the hill as arrows, sleek, quick and sharp fire up towards us from the trees. Bodies and bodies begin to run out to meet us and soon swords are being drawn. Somehow, amongst the chaos, I am able to escape. My feet move so smoothly, I dip and duck around bodies and bodies. People are dropping, though, as quick as flies and I almost trip over a dead... Time Jumper. Goodness. Who are these people and where are they coming from? I almost safely into the trees when I feel a hand take my wrist. I almost scream but another hand flies around my mouth and I am pulled into someones chest. A man's. I only pray it is not Colt.