Sequel: The Fifth World 2

The Fifth World

Stained With Blood

Bo: My eyes instinctively close and I prepare to have some kind of hard punch or slap or something but instead... my body is embraced. Arms hold me and I feel my eyelids slowly open... I know that smell... that sensational, beautiful smell... the first thing I see is blonde hair... little curls and sweet blonde hair. I finally see his face and something within me, and believe me, it isn't the wound on my head or the cut on my face (I don't even know how I got that), it is my heart.

"Cynric!" I say in a breath, "Cynric!" I lift my arms up, hear the chain of my shackles jingle and I put my arms over his head until I am holding him there. "You came after me. You came after me!" It seems like a lifetime before I let him go.

"Of course," he says as he pulls away from me a little, his hands are at my face wiping my hair from my eyes, gosh, am I seriously crying? "You have no idea how long I have been searching for you."

I hear the yells from outside of the trees, we are barely away from the battle. There is one thing I do know, that even at the edge of war... here it is all so close and knowing that at any moment now, when these cuffs are removed... I can leave this place. But I can't. I won't. The people here, those who have been manipulated. They are my responsibility. I cannot leave them.

"How did you find me?" I asked him, my voice a little whiny, "Where is everyone? Are Nancy and Felicity okay?"

He smiles softly and plants a small kiss upon my lips, oh goodness, "everyone's fine. I'll answer your questions later, we have to move."

I watch him take his Angelican dagger from his pocket. With his other hand he takes my wrists. He tells me to hold my arms in front of him and pull my wrists apart. I do so and he lays the blade across the chains. He speaks some words I barely understand and suddenly the chain explodes. What remains of the chains... hang from the cuffs. I smile at him.

"Would that have broken the spell?" I ask him.

He nods his head, "Any spell cast upon those shackles would be gone by now." He takes my hand in his and pulls me along. There are people everywhere through the trees. So many! Each of them, men, women... some even younger than me... all have weapons. They are all armoured up. Each and every one of them. This is amazingly absurd. I feel my heart begin to pound. Here I am, probably in the most danger I have ever been in in my life, yet I can't figure out why I have never felt so safe. Cynric's fingers curl with mine. All I want to do, right now, is hold him and kiss him and hug him. I have missed him so much.
I look ahead and spot through the trees a large clearing. I look to my right and see many of the Thornes fleeing towards it. If they get away from the trees they will not be blinded by the enemies, us, that wait within. Some might call it cowardly, hiding in the trees and killing all that they can, but others, such as I, would call it smart.

"Bo!" I hear a familiar voice, I quickly turn around and instinctively let go of Cynric's hand.

In a matter of seconds I am wrapping my arms around Felicity. Her red hair is spilling over my face, it smells of mint and strawberries. My goodness. I have never been happier to see my friend. When she finally lets go of me she looks at me up and down.

"Are you okay?" she asks.

I nod my head as her eyes scan me, they linger around my cheek, my cut hurts, "I'm fine, are you?"

"Fantastic now that you're here," she seems so happy to see me, gosh, I can even see some rosiness in her cheeks. She looks over at Cynric, "find Caine. We must fetch her dagger."

Cynric nods his head. There is a light in Felicity's eyes, a glowing appearance they have, her gaze returns to me and finally she disappears into the trees - most likely towards the clearing. I hope she'll be okay but knowing Felicity... she probably will be, but also knowing Felicity... a day like this day is something she has been waiting for, I hope she won't be foolish.
Cynric pulls me along, we pass many more people, many are fighting and many are shooting their arrows. There are few bodies, thank god, but it is only the beginning. As the day progresses, there will be more death than life.
My breath catches when we finally reach the clearing, when there Cynric lets go of my hand. My eyes scan the area... if this weren't a battle ground I would see this place as absolute paradise. Perfection. The metres and metres of grass so long and green. So full of life. Leaves of different colours are mixed in amongst the lawn. Wild flowers grow here and there. A beautiful meadow that will be stained with blood forever.

"Caine!" I hear Cynric call.

I look over at Cynric and follow his gaze. In the distance, fighting off I do not know how many Thornes I see Caine. He is in his comfort zone even though he may be defending himself from three ruthless Thornes... each with blood and fury in their eyes. Caine's eyes don't even leave the men but so swiftly, so quickly that I barely catch it myself... his hand reaches into a satchel, much like Cynric's. He then pulls something out and tosses it, with just a quick flick of his hand in our direction. The dagger flies through the air perfectly. Cynric runs towards it and with one hand catches the Angelican dagger by the handle. I run towards him, ignore a Thorne that follows me, and snatch the dagger up.
I can defend myself.
I immediately, knowing that a Thorne stalks me, twist my body around and meet the face of my opponent. I hold the dagger out, have no need to say any Angelican spells (not that I know any), and the Thorne runs so impeccably into my blade. The man, in his thirties or so, grunts a little... surprise in his eyes. His face is a little dirty and a little withered. He looks down, slightly, at his chest and sees the scarlet liquid gathering on the blade. I twist it and he grunts again, even louder. He falls and soon all emotions and feelings fade from his eyes... as does his life.

I have never killed another human being before.