Status: **Fixing up grammar and format- hopefully will get struck with inspiration**

Love from, Hell

Chapter 18: Full of Surprises

All from Julie's POV

Ken apologized to Malcolm a few more times, embarrassed. But Malcolm brushed off his apologies completely and volunteered to help him replace a few old planks on the back deck. The incident was soon behind the two.

Heather, on the other hand, fretted for much longer than necessary; muttering apologies under her breath and forcing Malcolm to sit down and ‘relax’ every time she caught him standing. After dinner, Malcolm and Julie washed the dishes- Malcolm washed, Julie dried. She could hear her parents talking quietly in the other room.

Julie had watched Malcolm help her dad replace the boards that afternoon. Her mother had been bustling around the house, checking her email and doing random household chores. Julie had lounged in the kitchen, pretending to read different magazines while she really had spied on Malcolm.

During dinner, while her parents chatted with each other and at Malcolm, Julie had begun to rethink a few things. So maybe Malcolm wasn’t here solely to torture her. And there wasn’t really any way for him to know that he made her crazy- aside from her occasional outbursts. But it was still completely confusing. Why was he still here? He didn’t want to be her friend… so why would he want to hang around her house?

Now she was drying the dishes that Malcolm placed carefully in the drying rack and so she was a little distracted. She wanted to ask Malcolm the questions that were taunting her, but she also wanted to test the conversation waters again. It was suicidal, the last time it had seemed like she could talk to him- he’d told her that he’d prefer she remained a stranger. Still, that stupid, irrational part of her was making her braver than she really was.

“So… that was nice of you. Helping my dad and everything today,” Julie said finally, looking at her mom’s dinnerware.

“Nice,” Malcolm mused after a pause.

Julie glanced up at him. He was looking down, focused on washing a fork. Julie frowned a little- confused… and insanely curious. Why would he respond like that? When they’d finished the dishes Julie dried her hands then handed the towel to Malcolm he began to dry his hands

“Thank you,” he said.

The words sounded so strange coming from his lips and directed to Julie. She was pretty sure that he wasn’t talking about her handing him the towel.

“... for catching the ladder,” he finished and handed the towel back to Julie.

She held it delicately staring at him.

Malcolm looked up at Julie. “It was a… nice gesture,” he said, copying her word.

Julie got the impression that Malcolm used the word ‘gesture’ because he could have saved himself from the falling ladder- just as she had suspected. Julie absent mindedly folded the towel.

“You’re welcome,” she said finally.

Malcolm nodded, looking slightly uncomfortable. Then he walked quietly past her to the living room. Julie smiled to herself and hung up the towel.

They watched an old black and white Humphrey Bogart movie on television. Julie was hyper-actively aware that Malcolm was on one end of the couch just a few feet away from her end, but she managed to enjoy the movie anyway. When it was over, Julie’s father and mother went into the kitchen, leaving Julie alone with Malcolm. Julie glanced nervously at Malcolm from the corner of her eyes. He was still watching the TV perfectly composed.

“Jules? Can you come in here?” Ken called.

Julie hurried into the kitchen.

Ken kissed Julie's forehead. “Your mom has something to say to you. Goodnight sweetheart,” he said then escaped up the stars.

Julie looked curiously up at her mother.

“Hon, your dad and I were just thinking… maybe you’d like to invite Malcolm to stay for spring break? It sounds like he doesn’t have any plans and we’d be glad to have him. If you want sweetie- he’s your friend so it’s up to you,” Heather said.

Julie could tell this was a premeditated talk.

“I really think you should invite him Jules,” Heather added her own opinion fervently.

Julie touched her jaw in thought. Clearly her mom liked Malcolm quite a bit. Julie blinked. Invite Malcolm to stay? But he didn’t want to be her friend, he didn’t like her, he drove her crazy, he made everything strange and intense.

And yet she found herself walking back into the living room and sitting down on the couch facing him. Malcolm looked at Julie.

“Um… my mom was just wondering… if you didn’t have any plans for spring break… well you’re welcome to stay here,” Julie said lamely looking down at her lap. There was a long pause. Julie finally looked up at Malcolm.

He was looking at her intently. “Do… you want me to stay?” Malcolm asked finally, his voice quiet.

Julie paused then nodded. Her heart pounded as she looked past him. She was laying it on the line. She waited anxiously for the burning rejection.

“Thank you. I don’t have any plans. I’d like to stay.”

Julie looked up at him, stunned. “Really?” she asked.

Malcolm didn’t say anything, looking back unseeing at the TV and Julie took that as a ‘yes really’.

“I thought you didn’t want to be my friend,” Julie reminded him carefully, her voice cracking.

Malcolm looked at Julie. “I didn’t say…” he trailed off frowning, not finishing the thought. “We can try being friends,” Malcolm decided carefully, looking away.

“Try?” Julie asked, unsure what he meant.

Malcolm looked Julie in the eye. “I’ll try,” he amended, staring at her.

Something in his voice told Julie that he believed she could be a friend but, for some reason, he would have difficulty with it. And he had beautiful blue eyes that made her skin tingle.

“Cool,” Julie finally muttered.

Malcolm smiled his small smile. Julie managed to smile back.

~

“So this is my brother’s room. You can use whatever you need. Um, clothes and stuff. Everything is perfectly clean- thanks to my mother the neat freak,” Julie said.

Malcolm walked slowly into Kyle’s old bedroom. It was a dark blue and had plaid sheets. Like a true music nerd, Kyle had wallpapered his room with posters of bands he liked. Although he’d permanently moved out, like Julie’s room, his room still held remnants of his personality- a poster here and there and a few really stupid pictures of him and his high school friends.

Malcolm looked around him, like an observer in a museum. He perched himself on the foot of the bed. Julie leaned against the door frame. Malcolm looked up at Julie and Julie stared back at him then blinked.

“Um, there are clean towels in the linen closet. And the bathroom is just down the hall…” Julie added.

Malcolm nodded, looking away and around the room. Then he looked back at Julie. Julie tried to think of anything she’d left out. She couldn’t think of anything.

“K, well, I’ll let you… get settled,” she said quietly then turned away. She blew her breath out in an exhausted huff.

“Julie?” came the perfect voice from behind her.

Julie closed her eyes, then turned back and opened them. “Yeah?” she replied curiously.

Malcolm paused, unsure of what to say. He looked away, thinking. Intrigued, Julie carefully entered the room and sat next to him. She stared at his face, fixated by his beautiful, confused expression. He turned to her and Julie forced herself to inhale.

“What should we do first?” he asked her quietly, in a business-like fashion.

Julie blinked. “What do you mean?” she asked him.

“As friends. What do we do?” Malcolm elaborated and frowned slightly as though her answer would be vitally important.

Julie looked away. Good question.

“Um…” she began. “We could… go outside? Maybe get coffee?” Julie suggested.

Malcolm nodded. Julie felt stupid. Couldn’t she think of anything interesting to do? She glanced at Malcolm. He was looking at her, his blue eyes searching hers.

“I’ll ask my mom. She might have an idea,” Julie said.

Malcolm stood and then waited for her to stand. Julie quickly got up and walked to the door, aware Malcolm was following her. Her mom? She wasn’t confident her mom would have the coolest idea.

They went downstairs anyway and found Heather in the kitchen.

“Mom. We can’t think of anything to do,” Julie informed her mother.

Heather looked up at them. “Well, Julie, why don’t you show Malcolm around town?” She suggested.

Julie started to make a face.

“It’s such a nice day. You could ride the bikes,” Heather continued, smiling.

“Bike into town?” Julie repeated, wrinkling her nose.

“Yeah. It’s way too pleasant out to drive,” Heather said decisively and then ushered them outside. “Have a nice time!” she called after them.

Julie looked at Malcolm. He looked very apprehensive. She should have just run out of the bedroom when she had the chance. Julie went to the shed and pulled out her brother’s mountain bike and handed to Malcolm. He took one hand out of his pocket and reluctantly held one of the handle bars.

Julie pulled her old bike out and flung her leg up over the seat. It was dusty but otherwise ride-able. She looked at Malcolm. He was still standing there, one hand holding up the bike. He looked at Julie. She felt her face flush. Riding bikes was clearly beneath Malcolm. Julie slid off the seat and straddled the bike.

“We can take the car. Bikes are lame,” Julie apologized.

Malcolm looked her up and down and Julie swallowed. “It’s not that,” he said.

Julie blinked and waited. Malcolm just looked at Julie, gathering his thoughts. Julie couldn’t hide her smile. Malcolm frowned at her.

“Then, what is it?” Julie asked curiously. She was going to make him admit it.

Malcolm frowned deeper. “I don’t know how to ride a bike,” he confessed without a trace of self-consciousness.

Julie smiled wider then made herself look shocked. “You don’t know how to ride a bike?” she checked, condescendingly pretending to be surprised.

Malcolm remained perfectly composed and unabashed. “No. I don’t,” he said coldly.

Julie’s confident act slipped away from her and she felt overwhelmingly intimidated. She swallowed and sighed. “Ok. I’ll teach you,” she offered. She climbed off her bike and laid it on the ground. She walked over to Malcolm.

He looked so proud and beautiful. He waited expectantly for her to begin.

“K so first thing you need to do is swing your leg over,” Julie said.

Malcolm obliged. His leg brushed hers and Julie backed away, giving him room and giving herself some space to recover from the tingling contact.

“Um, the key to bike riding is balance. You’re going to be pushing the pedals to make the bike go and moving the handle bars to steer,” Julie explained. She tried to remember how her dad had taught her to ride a bike. She’d started off with training wheels- but she couldn’t put Malcolm through the indignity of training wheels. Not that he would put up with it either.

Malcolm placed one foot on a pedal and leaned over and gripped the handlebars with both hands. Julie stepped forward and awkwardly held the handle bars with one hand and the back of the bike’s seat with the other. She looked up at Malcolm and he looked down at her, startled but open.

“K now try pedaling,” she instructed.

Malcolm carefully pushed down and moved a foot. Julie followed him, holding the bike up.

He stopped. “Oh. I see,” he said suddenly.

Julie stared at him. Could someone understand how to ride a bike without practice?

“Back up, please,” Malcolm requested.

Julie backed away tentatively. Malcolm pushed off again. Slowly, awkwardly, miraculously, he pedaled with little balancing difficulty down the drive way.

“Hey! That’s pretty good,” Julie complimented as Malcolm made a wide arc and pedaled back up the drive.

He smiled at Julie and Julie grinned back. Then, quite unexpectedly, Malcolm swerved off balance. He leapt away from the bike with oddly amazing ability before the bike could make him fall. The bike clattered weakly to the ground. Malcolm looked startled and then scowled at Julie.

She came forward. “It’s ok. It’s impossible not to fall… er mess up your first try,” Julie explained.

Malcolm pulled the bike up and swung his leg around it, then paused.

“Uh… I’ll hold the bike up and you steer,” Julie offered.

Malcolm raised his chin sharply and glared at her.

Julie cringed, but didn’t back away, determined to help Malcolm regardless of his attitude.

“One, two, three,” Julie said and then began pushing the bike.

Malcolm quickly began pedaling and steering. Like his driving, he did not weave or show any sign of being out of control.

“K I’m going to let go,” Julie called running behind the bike.

Malcolm glanced over his shoulder.

“Ok!” Julie said and let go of the bike.

“Wait!” Malcolm called out a moment too late. He swerved, but caught himself. He slowly accelerated his pedaling.

Julie could see this time that Malcolm had the skill down. He turned around sharply and came riding back.

“Whoo!” Julie cheered.

Malcolm smiled as he circled her, already speeding on the bike. Julie pushed her hair out of her face and walked up the drive to get her bike. She looked back at Malcolm. He was standing up off the seat and trying to hop up on the sidewalk. She stared. Malcolm successfully leapt up on to the side walk and experimented riding with no hands. He cautiously let go and leaned back on the bike. Effortless- and it was his first time.

Julie shook her head and climbed on to her bike. She pedaled down to where Malcolm was already attempting to pop a wheelie.

“C’mon,” she called to him awkwardly.

Julie rode leisurely, keeping a steady pace. Malcolm on the other hand, sped forward then rode back to her and then swerved around her and sped off again, eagerly trying out tricks. Julie smiled as she watched him. His expression was delighted in his own dark and brooding way as he pushed the bike’s limits. When he would happen to bike back next to her, Julie would point out the different highlights of the town.

“So… that’s the Blockbuster…” Julie pointed.

Malcolm followed her gaze and studied the building. Julie watched him. He seemed absorbed- like he was studying a painting for hidden meaning.

“Um and over there is the Thriftway,” Julie said. She hated to interrupt Malcolm’s observing but he moved on to stare just as interestingly at the old food mart.

As they cycled to the outskirts of the main drag, there was less for Julie to point out. Malcolm sped faster, making wide arcs and spins- but he always returned to Julie. When he swerved back to her side and gave her a small smile, she had to stutter out her next location.

“And… uh… that, that over there is the skate park,” Julie blinked and looked away, gesturing vaguely.

Malcolm stopped his bike suddenly. Julie quickly stopped too. He was watching the skate park, completely fascinated. Only a couple of younger boys were there today. Julie watched Malcolm watch the boys’ tricks. His blue eyes darted this way and that.

With a quick glance at Julie, and a small smile, he mounted his bike again and rode up to the entry of the park. Julie followed. Bike tricks and half pipes weren’t her thing, so she opted to stand by and watch.

“Be careful,” she said uselessly.

Malcolm ignored her and immediately took off down the half pipe. The young boys cleared a path for Malcolm, letting him into their group.

Julie stared, entranced. He would pause at the top of the half pipe and observe the other boys’ tricks. Then he would attempt one and always be successful. He started simply- with quick turns at the top of the pipe. But soon he was trying to flip his bike underneath him, and skid around on one wheel. The boys started giving him cheers of admiration when he performed his newly learned difficult stunts.

Julie might have guessed that it wouldn’t take too long for him to start making up his own tricks. So she joined along with the boys when they burst out in awed hoots of approval when Malcolm rode backwards down the pipe on his front wheel.

When he got back to the top on the other side, one brave boy- the eldest of the bunch- came up to him, “How did you do that man?” he demanded curiously.

Malcolm paused, giving the boy one of his cold looks.

Julie giggled to herself.

“You only have front brakes on your bike right?” Malcolm began unexpectedly.

The other boys, perceiving he was willing to teach, swarmed Malcolm. Julie leaned back on the skate parks fence and folded her arms. Dark, regal, scowling Malcolm did chores for her father and now taught 14 year old boys bike tricks. One thing was for sure, Julie noted as she watched him demonstrate his stunt to the boys, talking his way through it, Malcolm was full of surprises.
♠ ♠ ♠
A long chapter to make up for not posting in awhile =]

~Comments~~