Secret Voices

Chapter Twelve

I decied that instead of waiting Lyric's surgery to be over to get her some stuff. I was stopped by a couple nurses who wanted my autograph. I went ahead and gave it to them. I got in my car and Drove to Millie's, Lyric favorite candy store.

I haven't been here in years, so Milly would be happy to see me. I walked in and was immeadiatly hit my the scent of freshly made candy. Walked to the counter to see Milly bent over rummaging in her cabinet. I smiled. "Red jellybeans. Where the hell are the red jellybeans? I'm losing my marbles. Tsk tsk." She said. "Milly! See you can't follow your own rules I see!" I said to her. She looked up.

"Alex!" She said. I laughed. She came over to hug me. "Hi Milly." She came over and gave me a squeeze. "There in the second shelf, to the right, unless you put them somewhere else." She laughed and pinched my cheek. "Aha! I'm surprised you remembered." I gave her a small smile and went back to my sad face.

"What's wrong?" She asked. "Huh?" I said. "Somethings wrong. You have that look." I sighed. "Lyric's in the hospital. She got shot by my crazy ex-girlfriend." I said sadly.

"Oh my god is she alright? Is she dead? When's her funeral? Oh dear god!" I chuckled at her. "Milly, calm down she fine. I'm just going to get her some stuff." Milly grabbed a big bag.

"Here. Take this. It's on the house." I shook my head. "I'm paying you." I said. She shook her head. "Nuh-uh. Take it!"
"No." I protested.
"Yes." she said.
"No."
"Yes."
"Milly, No!"
"Alex, Yes!"

"This whole converstion is useless. Haven't you learned to listen to your elders? Sheesh boy take the bag!" I sighed in fake defeat. I WAS going to pay her. "Alright Mills." I started scavenging for some sour gummy worms. I found them and filled the bag half full. I filled the other half with blue jelly beans, lolipops, and choclate.

"Milly! I'm done!" I sang. I coming here made me feel surprsingly better. I quickly pulled out a $20 dollar bill and went to give her a hug. "It was nice to see you!" I stuck the money in her pocket and ran out before she realized I payed her. She noticed faster than I expected. "Alex!" She said as got into my car. She saw how much money it was and I swear, she said. "Ooo, lunch."

Typical Milly.

By the time I got back to the hospital, Lyric was done with the surgery stuff. I plopped down into a chair, watching her sleep. I stared at her as her curly red hair bounced softly around her head while she breathed evenly. I smiled at her as she turned over and clutched her blankets, shivering. I spied another one in a chair at the far side of the roomed. I got up to get it.

I gently put it over her carefully missing her hand. I pulled my chair closer to her, lightly stroking her face. She sighed grabbed my hand which pulled me closer to her. She squeezed it tightly and cuddled it. I smiled down at her and kissed her forehead, and started thinking.

I wasn't really angry about the arranged marriage, happy actually, but worried. I wished Lyric could love me the way I had loved her, and there may have been a chance, but I broke her heart by getting caught up in being a famous musican.

I had no idea when we were getting married. Probably years later because of the press that would get on my back. My arm was getting sleepy so I grabbed the remote and turned on the t.v. TMZ was on.

"Okay so you know that chick that Alex Carth has been hanging out with?" One of the guys asked. People gave him confused faces. "Lyric, I think is her name and Alex have been friend since like diapers, before he was famous and got shot twice today by a jelouse Halley Hart!" I rolled my eyes as they all got shocked faces.

"Do you know if their dating?" The guy shrugged. "Nobody knows. I think they both have crushes on each other." I turned off the t.v and looked at Lyric. I wish she had a crush on me.