Status: Complete

For Her Own Good

The End

Trent took Riley home, and watched as she was flocked by her new family- Caleb and her mother were at the front of the line, and neither seemed inclined to let go of her for a very long time.
Trent shook his head and walked towards his house. What was there left to do? She was safe, and the Powell group should leave her alone.

He knew that they would be back, but she’d proven that she could take care of herself. She didn’t need him anymore.

Riley watched him walking away and felt her heart sinking. He looked dejected, and she was all of a sudden convinced that he was going to leave. She tore away from her family’s embrace and ran after him.

“Trent! Trent, where are you going?” she asked, grabbing his arm and turning him towards her.

He wouldn’t meet her eyes. “You don’t need me anymore.”

Riley’s heart sank further. “What are you talking about? Of course I do. Even if I was completely safe, I would need you, Kyle.”

He looked up, surprised. Riley blushed, but she figured she had nothing to lose. She’d already admitted to loving him. How much worse could she make this for herself?

“I… This is wrong. This wasn’t supposed to happen.”

Riley turned away and started walking back towards her house. She didn’t want to hear this. “Wait! Riley, come back.” He grabbed her arm and made her stand still.

“What?” she snapped.

“What I meant was… I never meant to fall in love with you.” Trent felt her muscles tense, and she froze. She stopped breathing, even.

“Do you…” Riley couldn’t make herself say it. Did he mean that he…?

“Yes, Riley. I do love you.”

“Then stay,” she pleaded, turning around and staring into his eyes. She still wasn’t smiling.

“Okay, I’ll stay. You’re right. They might strike back at any time. We have to be ready.”

“Oh, is that why you’re not leaving? Are you sure there isn’t another reason?” Riley was amused by his rationalization.

But instead of answering, he simply leaned in and kissed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end. I hope you enjoyed reading, and my most heartfelt thanks to every reader, commenter, and subscriber.

-Cait