Status: The series is under a mass rewrite... this story will probably be discontinued, but the rewrite will be so much better <3 stay tuned.

How Could Happily Ever After Be a Myth?

Ghostly Conversations

Maddie

Kegan went for another walk just before noon. It mad me a little anxious for Leo’s arrival especially since I didn’t know what was going on with Kegan. Hopefully he was just taking visits down to Zora. He was feeling a bit under the weather ever since he tried to become human. I knew it was my fault, but I just wanted him to be okay.

The clock read 11a.m when I glanced at it, so I decided to take a little walk behind the house. I figured I could be back before my sweet son arrived, and it would give me a little time to think. Plus, I really just wanted to sneak away to the lake. I had so many memories of that beautiful spot.

T.J once found me there and talked me off a ledge, Kegan saved me from Arizona, and it’s also where Kegan proposed. I would never forget that moment. That was the moment that saved my life.

I got to the lake after about a fifteen minute walk. I could hear the soft sounds of the beautiful water shifting in the subtle breeze. The leaves gently swayed as the old tree limbs creaked. There were silver clouds darkening in the afternoon sky; a storm was coming. I could feel my bones growing cold as I thought about the last storm we had. The thunder nearly drove Kegan crazy.

I sighed as I peered out above the water. The forest seemed darker, almost as if it was the same day Zona had followed me. I was beginning to feel a dark presence, but I wasn’t quite sure if it was the approaching storm, or something to do with my new found abilities. Even Zora didn’t understand how I could see spirits.

“Madeline,” I thought I heard as the breeze blew past me. Leaves rustled on the ground near my feet. I breathed in deeply trying to see if I could sense anything. I smelled a very family scent. Violets and jasmine mixed together creating a scent sweet and pure to any human nose, but it smelled a bit like death to me. “Madeline,” the whisper came a little more sharply this time.

“Yes?” I questioned in a slightly worried tone. I heard a soft giggle that sounded almost like bells. I smiled to myself as I realized what I was hearing. I began to look for her. I knew I could see her especially since her voice seemed so strong.

“I’m behind you silly,” she laughed playfully. I turned around to see a cloudy version of my beautiful sister-in-law.

“Hey Lydia,” I sighed. I wanted so badly to wrap her in a hug and to feel her iciness surround me.

“Hi Maddie, what are you doing out here all by yourself,” she asked in that same upbeat tone. It was beginning to scare me. Lydia never seemed that happy, especially around me.

“I needed some air. I didn’t want to be alone in the house,” I answered as I turned back towards the lake. I sat down on a tree stump as I stared off into the abyss.

“Alone in the house? Where is Kegan, is he alright,” Lydia asked a little more worried.

“He went for a walk again. He’s been taking a lot of those, Lid. I don’t know if he’s okay or not… He doesn’t really talk to me like he used to,” I sighed. I could feel tears beginning to swell in my eyes.

“He’s probably just worried. You know, he’s not the same as you. You are a vampire now, but he’s like your children. He doesn’t know it, but he is only half vampire,” she explained to me carefully.

“Half vampire?”

“Yes, Madeline, half vampire. He tried to be human for you, and the only way Zora could save him was to mix potions and pray. Well he was saved, but he’s not what he once was. If anyone finds out besides you and Zora, it could mean a great deal of trouble to him,” she informed me.

“Can Zora fix it,” I asked shakily.

“Yes, but Kegan won’t like what she has to do.”

“What does she have to do?”

“He has to become human, and he’ll have to stay human for a certain period of time. Now that’s the part that I don’t exactly know, but Zora will know.”

“But…” I trailed off not knowing what to say

“He’s finding out from her today. That’s why he hasn’t come home just yet,” Lydia answered my question before I had formed the words.

“I miss you,” I told her honestly, but she was already gone. My Lydia was gone just like that. “Why can’t I see him too,” I sighed into the wind.

“He’s still with you,” I thought I heard the breeze that whipped over my shoulder hiss. I knew I must have thought I heard that because he, T.J, was dead. I helped burry him. At least, that was what I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy. There'll be more to come soon. Comments and ideas
do make the writing process go faster, but I think I'm going to be working
on updating a few of my other stories as well. I have some good ideas!