Animals; or, Across the Universe.

wham bam lam pam

My hands hurt.

I'm making too many little paper cranes again.

Right now I've a grand total of 116.

I also made an origami turtle today. On one side of its back, I wrote "awkward turtle" and on the other, "la tortue maladroite". It is indeed awkward. It is overly top-heavy, so whenever I set it down its butt and back legs are all in the air.

I wish I had a turtle. I wish I was a turtle. I would be a good turtle; or no, I'd be the best fucking turtle ever. All slow and vapid and pondering and angsty and lettuce-eating, and I would have a shell I could feel on me, so I'd know it was there, I'd know it would work no matter what. So I could die without my shell.

Or something spiny, like a porcupine or a hedgehog. But then I'd be miserable knowing I hurt people, that I scared them away. So maybe not.

Or like an owl, all fucking erudite and nocturnal and cool and tufty and fat and feathery and fuck.

Or like a crane, all fucking eloquent and stick-limbed and flying in a V over the moon. Or maybe that's just geese that fly in a V. I don't know, all I can remember is this poem about geese, writing a sestina in the air, every line beginning with V. Even though I took airs in noting that that wasn't the actual definition of a sestina, it fucking blew my mind stylistically and now I can't even remember who wrote it. John Keats?

But I guess there are some perks to being a human, specifically a girl, because you can put on nice tights and stare and stare at the shape your legs and feet make in them for hours and hours. Because you can stare at yourself and be entertained by that. Call me Narcissa, but not to my face, I'll probably be hurt but try and hide it by agreeing with you wholeheartedly. Because you can put on your mother's kick-ass vintagey shoes and plan these fucking daring outfits that you wear around your room, but don't dare wear to school because you're scared you actually have terrible taste in fashion. Because you can dance, and think you can dance, and choreograph little dances in your head to music while you're in the car.

I don't know if I'll ever get to 1000 cranes, and I don't know what'd I'd wish for if I did. Probably just world peace.

I want to get high without actually getting high. I want to have sex without actually having sex. I want to have a romance without the relationship. I want to write something like Across the Universe. I want to be across the universe and still be right in this exact spot. I want my head in the clouds and my butt and hind legs in the air as well.