Status: Cute and cliched.

Before the Summer's Out...

Chapter 13: Things That Are Pink: Bikinis and Coolers

I rang the doorbell of Heather's house. I rubbed my palms together, trying to imagine doing this as if I were picking her up for a date.

Heather opened the door before I could work up any kind of image. She broke into a beautiful grin when she saw me. She was wearing a pink bikini top, a tiny denim skirt and had her long dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, revealing gold hoop earrings. All in all, her standard super hott.

"Hey Benj!" she seemed ecstatic to see me. Heather came forward and hugged me in greeting. I blinked, a reflexive smile coming to my lips. I could feel Heather's boobs against me and she smelled like cinnamon and chlorine.

"Uh hey, Heather," I replied, smiling at her when she pulled away.

"I'm glad you're here! Come in, come in," She said, grabbing my hand and pulling me inside her house. I closed the front door behind me and let her tow me through her house.

"The girls are here. You know, Amanda and Kaitlin and them? Oh but Matt and Jeff aren't here yet," Heather babbled at me. She stopped abruptly and turned to look at me. Her blue eyes blinked at me and I was impressed with those long lashes that framed her eyes.

"You're the first boy," She said and then grinned wickedly. Oh my.

Outside on the extensive back porch, Heather's girlfriends were stranding around in their bikinis, drinking pink coolers. One or two were dangling their feet in the hot tub.

"Hey Benj," A few greeted me. The others were either ignoring me or didn't know/care who I was.

Heather pointed me in the direction of the giant freezer and I got myself a beer. I didn't want to drink very much at all tonight, I was still kinda hungover. I settled myself in a wooden lounge chair and watched Heather and her friends, feeling a little out of place. The girls were some kind of pro alcoholics because they plowed through a few coolers each during the short length of time that I drank my beer.

Around seven thirty, the doorbell rang.

"Bitch, the door's ringing!" Kaitlin giggled at Heather, who was conversing seriously with Olivia.

"Go answer it," Heather delegated dismissively. Kaitlin skipped off, inebriated, to answer the door. A moment later she came darting back outside and grabbed Heather's arm, yanking Heather to bend her head to her. Kaitlin whispered ferociously into Heather's ear.

Matt, Jeff, and Joe Hamface walked in. Matt and Jeff were towing these two really hott Asian girls. I think they might actually have been bonafide twins. And Joe came in with-

ENID?! I could feel my heart pounding angry, white hott blood through my chest. I stared at her as she self consciously followed Joseph into the party. They weren't holding hands but it was plain: this was a hang-out-almost-date sort of scenario. What the hell?! I had this urge to kick something or at the very least throw my beer can at Joe Hamface. I mean, he was cheating on Heather! And, ok, I was ALSO angry because Enid, the, the traitor, was flirting with the enemy and, and...

Neither of those reasons was why I was angry. I was just plain intensely jealous that Enid was with Joseph and not me. I also felt abandoned, because Enid said we might not be friends anymore. And here she was, grieving by going to some stupid hot tub party.

Oh. Well I guess I can't talk because I'm doing the exact same dumb thing.

"Help yourself to drinks," Olivia stated clearly to the new comers when Heather just looked at them. I watched them walk past and Enid did a double glance when she saw me staring at her. Enid was wearing these jeans shorts and her contacts and a blue short sleeved polo shirt. And, oh my god, I could see sporty bikini strings around her neck! Did my sun-skittish Enid actually plan on going out during the day (albeit evening) in a swimsuit?

Did I just sort of call Enid my Enid?

Enid blinked after we stared at each other and she gave me a small, sad wave. What did that mean? Was she sad because of us falling apart or because she didn't really want to be at this party? Did she feel out of place here like me? Did she wish she was sitting with me and talking about how stupid this party was?

"Benj, can I talk to you?"

I blinked and looked up. Heather was standing right next to me, her soprano voice very quiet.

"Uh sure," I said, standing up. Heather led me back into the house and over to the couch in the family room. She sat down and brushed her bangs off of her face. I sat down next to her, angling myself towards her because she'd done that to me.

"What's up?" I asked concerned. She clasped her hands on her lap and looked at the ceiling.

"I broke up with Joe," She admitted, tearfully. Heather looked at me, and her blue eyes looked very sad.

"Oh I see. I'm sorry," I said sympathetically.

"I know. I know, it was... awful. But it needed to be done," Heather sighed tiredly but her voice was firm. I nodded understandingly.

"Like, I've moved on. Joe is so... grade eleven immature and I feel as if I've outgrown him," Heather explained. Ok, well, those things happen, I guess.

"And, like, I'm totally fine," She said, holding one delicate hand to her chest. "But,
I'm a little concerned about Enid. I mean, I just broke up with Joe. I'm worried that he's just using Enid as a rebound," Heather told me, her voice dropping to a hushed whisper. Really? Enid a rebound? She was so... not a rebound type of girl. She was the exact opposite.

"Really?" I said and the reality of that situation set in. I felt a rush of anger again. Was Joe really using Enid as a rebound? I'd kill him.

I mean. Enid is my, my friend. I mean, she was my friend. Oh fuck it. She's Enid and I care about her and if Joe is using her as a rebound, I'll just kill him.

"Yeah. I just... I thought you should know. But don't worry about it, k? I'm going to be keeping an eye on them because I care. Like you," Heather said. She took one of my hands in both of her hands. "I'm a caring person, just like you are. I'm glad you're here, Benj," Heather said. Wow.

"Thanks," I said, managing a smile. Heather grinned beautifully.

"Good. Come on," Heather said and towed me back to the party, holding on to my hand as we went back on the deck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok. Did Heather really break up with Joe? Is Joe really using Enid as a rebound?
Well, I know hehe. But what do YOU think?
.Comment for the love of bikinis.