Status: Cute and cliched.

Before the Summer's Out...

Chapter 2: Analyze the Totally Sexually Suggestive Language

The summer before grade 12, senior year, I was determined to get on Heather's radar and then become her boyfriend for our final year of high school. I was absolutely committed to having that epic, teenage first love. You know, where you're supposed to be miles above everyone, walking on clouds and in clouds, and the only thing you can see is the girl you love. So I had a plan to be wherever Heather was: there were few places to go in the small town where we lived and with a fantastically handy tool called Facebook and group invites, I could attend all the events Heather would and it would be socially acceptable.

I was working a very hot afternoon shift at Dairy Queen. Thankfully it is very cool in the Dairy Queen. Enid was sitting at one of the booths typing away on her laptop. She usually hung out at the Dairy Queen while I worked. I gave her free strawberry sundaes because they are her favourite and we would talk during customer lulls. That particular hot afternoon, Heather came in.

"What do you think of this Benj, 'I spilled the paint across the floorboards; the red met with your blue and would not mix; there is a wall of colour over which-'" Enid recited for me.

"Oh my God. It's Heather," I interrupted.

"-over which you lord; I cannot jump-where?" Enid looked up and pushed her glasses up her nose. Her glasses are always sliding down her narrow nose. They are old and heavy looking and even have tape on them. She breaks them occasionally because of her theatrical accident proneness.

"There. She's getting out of her Saab. She's with Amanda and Kaitlin. She's wearing her super short jean shorts with a white tank top and-"

"She'll be in here in like five seconds. I'll see her for myself," Enid interrupted me and rolled her eyes.

Heather opened the door of the Dairy Queen and took off her sunglasses. It was like a cool breeze came floating in. She strode over to the counter, looking above at the menu. Amanda and Kaitlin were texting- maybe even one another.

"Hmm. Banana?" she wondered to herself. Her voice was a soft, raspy soprano that would sound amazing either on stage or in bed. She looked down at me and then blinked. "Oh! Benj, you work here?" she began conversation thirteen.

"Yep. What can I get you?" was my brilliant reply.

"I'm not sure. I mean, a banana milkshake was why I came in the first place but a liquorice one sounds sooo refreshing," she said. Her open-mindedness was inspiring.

"I personally would recommend the banana," I supplied and was more pleased with this response.

Heather smiled at me I could feel sweat accumulate between my shoulder blades. "Of course you'd say that. You're a boy," she said with a playful eye roll.

Oh my God, not only were we flirting, it had sexual innuendo. I laughed at her comment. Heather bit her lip, looking at the menu. Her full, pouting lip looked about as soft as rose petals. I could picture her accidentally breaking the delicate skin and I would come around and hold a napkin to her tiny cut. And she would touch my hand with hers and look up at me with adoration in her blue eyes, so grateful that I was the kind of guy who would take care of her-

"Oh what the heck. A small banana milkshake then," Heather decided and shot me a quick heart stopping grin and then turned to her friends. She looked over Kaitlin's shoulder at her cell phone.

Amanda came forward. "Can I get a... God, nothing fat free here huh? Well what am I saying, this is a Dairy Queen. Um, pass," she said and turned away.

Kaitlin came to the counter. "A Brownie Earthquake please. Oh I need money! Hehe. Bitch, come here with the platinum," Kaitlin giggled at Heather.

Heather took the kind, though immature, name-calling with that trade mark grace I loved. She handed me her Visa. I made the transaction and gave her a tentative smile when I returned the card. I was received well! She smiled back. I quickly made the desserts and then gave them to the girls.

"Thanks Benj," Heather said and then walked to the door.

"... wasn't that Enid...?" Amanda said audibly as the door shut behind them.

Enid raised her eyebrows at me. "Incredible. She knows my name. I may faint," Enid said. Sometimes she has a problem was sarcasm.

I poured myself my own banana milkshake and hopped over the counter to sit with Enid.

Enid closed her laptop. "So I suppose this is dissection time," she guessed accurately.

"Did you hear the sexual innuendo she was throwing at me?" I demanded, taking a big slurp of my milkshake. I offered the drink to Enid and she paused and then took a sip too.

"You mean the banana comment?" Enid clarified.

"Yeah. And she bit her lip. That's sexually suggestive body language," I added.

Enid stole another sip of my drink. "I bite my lip at you. Are you suggesting that I'm trying to throw sexual signals your way?" she asked and then raised her eyebrows again. The action made her glasses slide down her nose. She pushed them back up.

"But the double shot of banana comment and biting the lip? Together, you know what that equals?" I demanded.

"... No Benj. I don't. What does it equal?" Enid asked me.

"I don't know either. You're the smart one," I accused and stole my drink back.

Enid grinned. "Perhaps. That makes you the dumb one you know," she followed the logic through.

"Perhaps. But I'm the only who knows how to make the strawberry sundaes the way you like. With too many crushed pecans mixed into the syrup," I said and then wrinkled my nose. I don't like pecans.

Enid looked at me for a second and then looked away and smiled. "Just keep the nuts coming," she said.

"Sure." I agreed and sipped my drink.

Enid stood and put her laptop in a well padded case and then into her messenger bag.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I have to go home and make lunch for Grandma Suzanne. I'll come back after work," Enid answered. Her ninety-year-old crazy as hell grandmother lives with Enid and her family.

"Ciao," I said after her.

She waved and pulled on the front door three times before cluing in to push. She never remembers to push.