Robin, Boy Virgin: Original Series

Thirty Two: Oh, it's On!

On Friday, after lunch, I was waiting in the front practice room for Cora. I was a little nervous about my date tonight with Minnie and actually wanted to talk to Cora about it. Like, I'm totally nuts-o for Cora, but I didn't want to be a totally dead beat with Minnie. I sort of know Minnie a little, but she and Cora are, like, legit friends, so maybe Cora had some advice for me.

I'd ducked out of lunch early because it was awkward with Minnie sitting next to me, Cora being quiet and cool as anything and Harold give me condescending looks. Cuz he's figured out that I do like Cora and am covering it up by dating Minnie, remember? And, for some reason, he doesn't approve of me lying my ass off. I dunno.

So I was waiting for Cora, playing around on the electric piano and inputting the very simple, one hand melodies into a MIDI file directly on to the computer. Like, not a WAVE file, cuz I wasn't recording the piano via an intermediate medium, like a microphone: the electronic piano was hooked up to the computer and compatible with the new software-

Sorry. I shouldn't preach my music geek religion.

Cora entered the room.

"Hi Boy Wonder," She said, sitting down in the spare chair.

"Hey. How's it goin'?" I asked, still playing away on the piano. I felt like I had to segue into the Minnie-date talk carefully. I don't know why. It's not like Cora likes me and would get all offended and hurt if I mentioned my date with Minnie. Yeah, what the hell am I talking about? Cora pretty much masterminded that whole thing.

"Oh... not bad, actually," Cora said. That answer was weird. Cora usually says that things are going good for her (because they always are because she's lucky because she's Cora). So the 'not bad' qualified by the 'actually' was suggesting something had happened.

Or else I just think too freaking much.

"Oh yeah?" I mumbled, pressing an F# over and over (pardon me, f sharp).

"Yeah... uh, do you wanna hear something kinda weird?" Cora asked, beginning a confession. I looked at her. She was frowning in thought.

"Sure," I said. We are friends, after all. She can tell me anything, really.

"You know that Brandon kid? He just asked me out,"

Ok. She can tell me anything except that.

"... really?" I decided to say. I decided against saying "I'll kill him" or "That pretentious douche bag"

"Yeah, I know, right? Like, we talk sometimes, but I didn't think he'd go for me like that. Since, you know, his girl buddies hate my guts," Cora said. Right?? That's what I thought too!

"You're hott, Cor. Except it," I said, since she was underestimating her absolutely bewitching appeal. Cora chuckled, and scratched her knee.

"Thanks, BW," She giggled.

"So what'd you say to Bradown?" I asked, pronouncing his name oddly, hoping to make her laugh. She smiled and breathed a reflexive laugh.

"Um, I said yes," Cora said with a shrug.

Wait. Wait. Wai,wai,wai,wai, wait. She... what? No. Why? Cora said... but.

"You did??" I asked shocked. Ok, ok:

1.) My initial reaction was just shock. I never expected Cora to go out with anyone at all actually. I guess I just assumed that all guys would be too intimidated, like me, to ask her out. Well, that's just stupid.

2.) My second reaction, the stronger, long lasting one, was jealously. Like, we're talking the white hot raging jealousy. You know? I'm sure everyone's experienced it at least once. Your blood boils and you feel like you are TOTALLY getting the shaft and just want to lash out like a two year old.

3.) Through my jealousy, I made myself think of the rational reasons for why I was shocked. Like, I thought for sure Cora wouldn't go for the popular douche bag type. I mean, Cora is way cooler than that! I thought she'd be more into the, you know, lone wolf bad ass in a leather jacket type. Although, admittedly, there aren't any of those at our school.

"Uh yeah. We're going out tonight," Cora answered my astonishment, blinking.

"Oh. I thought..." I began, but then shut my mouth.

"You thought what?" Cora asked curiously, narrowing her eyes.

"Oh no, I just thought that you wouldn't be into the popular douche type," I said honestly.

"I'm not. Brandon's actually pretty nice,"

"Well yeah, he's nice to you, cuz you're... Cora," I mumbled. I was still trying to fight that roaring jealousy in me.

I mean, ok, if you look at the real facts, I had had the opportunity to tell Cora how I felt and she and I would be dealing with that. And if she knew that I liked her, she probably wouldn't have said yes to Brandon right away, just to spare my feelings for a little while. That sounds like something she would have done right?

So, I pretty much fucked up. And my jealousy was... a tad unwarranted. Since, I had no claim on Cora whatsoever. Crap.

"Have you ever actually talked to him, Boy Wonder?" Cora caught me cleverly.

"... well... no..." I admitted. But still! He's, he's one of them. I don't need to talk to him to know that he's stuffing condoms in my locker with his other douche bag friends.

"I'm surprised at you. I thought that you didn't judge people before knowing them. I mean, that's what people did to you and you hated it. I thought you were better than that," Cora said.

Goddamn it.

"I... well, ok. Prove me wrong about Brandon. Have a great time on your date," I wished her. My voice was challenging her, though, and I was being an asshole.

"I will. And yoouu have a great time on your date with Minnie," Cora said back, except she meant what she said and was being nice.

"Fine," I accepted her non-existent challenge, my voice snapping a little.

"Fine," Cora teasingly snapped back, and then chuckled and frowned at me, confused by my behaviour.

Oh it's on, Cora. I am going to have a GREAT time with Minnie and totally blow away your stupid date with Brandon the douche.

I'm seriously so retarded.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know, get to Minnie and Robin's date, I know! Next chapter, cross my heart!

"Comin' Up From Behind" by: Marcy Playground. I just like this song, that's, uh, pretty much why it's here, lol, doesn't have much to do with the story. Well, I mean it's a little bit of a competition "oh its on" kind of song.

.Comment on Brandon(douche) and Cora(what'sherdeal?) and Robin(ourretardedhero)..