Robin, Boy Virgin: Original Series

Eighty Six: The Formula of Love

Glenn left me a considerable chunk of money to buy food and ran through the numbers where he and Linda could be reached in New Hampshire about a million times. And even still, he wrote them all out and stuck the numbers up on the fridge. I personally took his and Linda's luggage out to his car and even hugged them both good-bye. Yeah, yeah, have a good trip, yeah, I gotta go fix the girl I'm in love with. So... you know... beat it, parental figures.

Once they were gone, I went back inside the house and up to my room. I pulled on my winter jacket and stuck my cell in my jacket pocket.

Ok, how's this for a theory:

1.) I have only ever really gotten angry and upset at Cora over one thing: Brandon. I went crazy with jealousy because I was in love with her at the time and I knew it.

2.) If we follow through with April's proposal that guys and girls aren't that different, perhaps then the real reason Cora freaked out at me was because she in turn had been struck with jealousy. And I mean the kind of jealousy that I went through (not the pining, wishful, "Oh I wish I was Amanda because she's popular" jealousy that I'd dismissed earlier), but the crazy, competitive, wonky, emotional kind of jealousy that you just can't help but feel.

And here's the real kicker:

3.) If I freaked out on Cora because I was in love with her and majorly jealous, and Cora freaked out on me because she was majorly jealous, and guys and girls aren't that different in their emotional turmoil, then what's the one piece of the equation missing from Cora's side of this formula?

Cora Mellaincamp doesn't just love me, she is in love with me. At a similar level as I am with her. Can you freaking believe it??

Now, I can't be sure of that (obviously). In fact, the prospect of Cora being crazy jealous because she's crazy in love with me kind of astounds and shocks me. But the math don't lie! Unlike emotions, science and formulas can't be unbalanced and still work out properly! So, there you have it, that's how mega dorks like me figure out love: with Algebra.

I zipped up my jacket and jogged down the stairs, marvelling in the brilliance of my formula. Of course, gotta give credit where credit's due: I wouldn't have figured this out without Minnie and April's considerable help. You know, I think I was just happy to have some sort of idea that I could hold on to, instead of just drowning in my hormones and confusion.

I headed out the front door and locked it behind me. The frozen winter air felt invigorating instead of just annoyingly bitter cold. I think my blood was running hot, and I could feel the adrenaline rushing in my veins. I slid the house key into my pocket and hurried down the steps and started out into the streets purposefully.

Here's the plan of attack, folks:

1.) I am going to confront Cora, calmly but insistently, about her freak out. Er, yes I tried to do that once already and failed miserably, but I'm gonna try again.

2.) This time, though, I'm not just rushing head on into her sexy lion pit like a chicken with its head chopped off. This time I'm going in with a whip and a chair and my head firmly on my shoulders.

3.) I've got my love formula, I've got my overall love for Cora, and I've got some confidence from talking to April. Bring it on, Cora. Bring on your crazy.

I'm embracing the crazy.

As I walked into Cora's townhouse complex, my confidence waned just slightly. There was no way I was turning back, I was channelling too much Mel Gibson in Braveheart right now, but a few little reality-checks wiggled into my brain. Like, maybe I should have called Cora to tell her I was coming over? Because what if she wasn't home? Or her mother was home?? I mean, that'd be really weird and inhibiting. Since I planned on being as loud and straightforward as possible, so if Cora's mom heard me giving her daughter a piece of my mind... I dunno. It just would not be ideal.

But oh well. No freaking way I'm running away now.

I walked up Cora's short driveway and took a deep breath. I rang her doorbell. The second I did that, I felt so nervous I wanted to turn around and bolt. But that feeling was quickly overridden by uncharacteristic determination and, mostly, my want to see and talk to Cora.

A moment later, Cora opened the door. My face, I'm sure, fell into a full on love-sick look. Her hair was pulled off her face in a loose ponytail, but she was still in her jeans and Pink Floyd t-shirt from school.

"Robin, what- what are you doing here?" She asked quietly, surprised and slightly upset.

"Is your mom home?" I asked quickly. Because I was worried about that. Cora blinked.

"No. She's out with Thomas," Cora said emotionlessly.

"Who's Thomas?" I asked tactlessly. Cora just blinked tiredly at me. Ah, I see, a new boyfriend. Mmm, maybe I should get all deep with Cora another time when her mother isn't starting dating and messing with poor Cora's mind-

No. No. Cora's mom is not Cora and Cora deserves her own life. Uh, in my opinion.

"Can I come in?" I barrelled on past my last stupid question. Cora immediately stepped aside, omitting me into her house. I stood in the foyer and she closed the door behind her.

"Robin I-" Cora started to say, but my body interrupted her with a kiss. Like, without my brain's permission, it just grabbed Cora's face and kissed her passionately. I haven't kissed her in a whole day (which in my permanently in love state is a long ass time). She let me kiss her, holding my wrists while my hands held her face. When I was finished kissing her she dropped her head, averting her eyes from mine.

"What are you doing here, Robin?" Cora asked the ground, sounding all tearful.

"Well I came to apologize-" I started to say but then Cora broke from my grasp, stepping sharply away from me. Oh, now she had no problem looking me in the eye, glaring at me in a very intimidating fashion.

"For what?! For sitting there and being innocent while I bitched you out over something that wasn't your fault??" Cora demanded."Jesus, Robin, you make me crazy," She muttered, folded her arms across her chest and looking down at the floor.

Well, at least she's confirming that I haven't done anything wrong and acknowledging the fact that she went off the deep end a little.

"... No," I replied. "I wanted to apologize for handling that all wrong. I knew you were upset before hand and went into the situation all... chicken running around with its head cut off," I said. I couldn't think of any other way to describe it! Cora couldn't fight back a smile at that and glanced at me, smiling a little. I immediately grinned crookedly. Oh thank God. Thank God. Maybe this wouldn't be a total nightmare.

"Um, so I've been thinking... and I want to ask you something," I said, my nerves clenching in my stomach and my face getting serious. Cora blinked and nodded, encouraging me to speak my mind. Ok, here we go.

"Are you jealous, Cora?" I asked, slowly and clearly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cliffhanger?! I'm such a jerk, I know I know =]
I'll update again later *crosses heart*

"Eyes on Fire" by: Blue Foundation. Thank you Twilight franchise for turning me on to this song. *Blow raspberry* on you for making the song cool by K-Stew and sparkly vampire association. Ah well. *swallows pride and cinema snobbery* hehe, it's a good song.

The flip side to Robin's feelings- 'Heartbreak World' by: Matt Nathanson.

Surprise cuz we're talkin' about love formulas

.Comment on the formula! (How do you think Cor will answer the question? With a resounding YES or...?? hehe)..