Status: complete.

Love Was Easy When We Didn't Make It So Hard

first game jitters

Eric sat across from me at the kitchen table on the morning of his first official game as a member of the Chicago Bears. He flipped through the navy blue binder, the one with the orange bear adorning the cover that he had been carting around for weeks on end. The pages were starting to wrinkle and bend due to the every day flipping they were suggested to. I tapped my nails against my coffee cup, eyes watching Eric as his brown orbs ran over the pages as if he didn't already know them by heart. He sighed, finally giving in to the pull of my gaze. I gave him a huge grin, standing up and bouncing over to him. He opened his arms for me to settle into his lap immediately, his lips pressing to my neck.

"Are you excited, baby?" I murmured softly, looking into his brown eyes. They sparkled with excitement and a tad bit of nervousness. His game face had yet to come on, and I enjoyed the happy rumbling in his chest as he laughed.

"Yes I am." He smiled puckering his lips for a kiss. I set mine atop of his and let my lips calm the nervousness in his eyes. His lashes fluttered shut and he let a deep sigh out as if he was letting the butterflies out.

"You aren't nervous Eric." I murmured to him, pressing a kiss to the corners of his mouth. "You can do this. You're going to be great. And if you mess up a pass, we all know the announcers will blame Cutler."

"Babe, stop dissing my QB." Eric laughed and rolled his eyes playfully. "He's better than he looks."

"Only this year because my man is catching those passes." I squealed as Eric squeezed my hips, lifting me into his arms. "You know, maybe some loving would help take my mind off the game."

"I have to pick up my family in like an hour babe."

"Your point? It takes like fifteen minutes to get there." He breathed into the skin of my neck where the muscle of his tongue had just been trailing along my throat.

"My point is that you will keep me in there too long and I'll be late, and then I'll have to explain to them why I'm late."

"Babe, I'm sure all of them can put two and two together. You won't be able to walk when I'm done with you." He gave me a devilish grin as we reached the bathroom. "Plus, I don't think this bathroom has ever been properly broken in." He gave me a wolfish grin as I squealed loudly, making Gabby whine on the other side of the door. "That dog has an unhealthy attachment to you." Eric stated, looking towards the door and giving it a weird look.

"Kind of like you do?" I wondered, looking up at the ceiling with a wondering smile.

"Mine is justifiable."

"Hers is too. I feed her"

"Oh! So she is just sucking up; got it." Eric laughed loudly at my annoyed face, turning on the water in the shower before stripping off his clothes in a strip tease sort of way. I giggled the whole time, laughing at how ridiculous he looked. "What are you laughing at?" He growled at me as he pulled my t-shirt over his head.

"You are ridiculous," I murmured to him as he lifted me into his arms, pulling my pants down my hips and then down my legs.

"You bring it out in me baby cakes," He smirked before thrusting me into the shower and pinning me against the cool tile.

An hour later I was waiting at the airport, just a tad bit later than expected, waiting for my family to come out of the airport. The sun was shinning and it was relatively warm out, a great day for a football game which made me happy since I was most definitely not sitting in a box. I saw Austin first, arms firmly wrapped around Zoe who looked a tad bit petrified, most likely from the plane ride. I sighed softly, opening my door and greeted the various members of my family with tight hugs. Just like always, Jake's grip practically squeezed the life out of me, making me smack his back.

"How are you doll?" He asked, slipping into the front seat while my parents went to go get their rental car. Holly slipped in back with Gracie and David while Austin, Zoe, and Austin's now wife Callie went with my parents. They had gotten married shortly before Eric and I moved to Chicago and were already expecting their first child.

"I'm alright, nervous for Eric's game, but holding up pretty well." I told Jake as I pulled out of the Chicago airport and onto the main road.

"How is Decker? Is he as nervous as you?" Holly asked, giving Gracie her nook as she started to whine softly in the back seat.

"He's a little flustered; of course he would never admit it, but I always know how he's feeling."

"I'm sure you do." Jake mumbled, looking over at me with a pointed look. I just smirked, keeping my eyes on the road and ignoring my sulky brother.

"Do you guys want to eat before we head to the game?" I asked getting eager nods and voices of approval. I chuckled and turned off an exit near Solider Field as Jake called my parents to give them directions.

We walked into the pizza place and my parents joined us a couple minutes later, walking in with the rest of the family and looks of relief that they could finally eat some good food. We ordered the standard pepperoni deep dish and waiting for our food while aimlessly chatting.

"Why do I feel like it's been so long since I've seen you?" I asked Jake, resting my head on his shoulder as he ran his fingers lightly up and down my arm.

"Because everything seems like a long time when you miss someone." Jake whispered to me, kissing the top of my head.

"Don't flatter yourself, Jacob." I told him sternly, giving myself away with a smile. Jake just rolled his eyes at me, looking like such the big brother he was.

"Decker treating you right?" Jake asked me once the pizza came. The two of us were off having our own separate conversation while the rest of my family chatted excitedly about Callie and Austin's upcoming baby.

"Always." I stated out of habit more so than the truth. It wasn't that Eric had been or did treat me bad; he just lost control of his priorities aka choosing football/Tom over me. That had changed though. He was slowly getting better, slowly understanding how agitated it made me when he did stupid things or didn't ask me before going out. It wasn't because I was trying to control him, it was because Eric always used to tell me or ask me, and I guess part of me couldn't stand the fact that he had changed since moving here.

"Good cause I like him and I don't really want to hang him by his balls." Jake stated casually, taking a chomp of his pizza. I rolled my eyes at him, giving him a look that told him to knock it off.

"I wouldn't like that."

"Oh, I bet you wouldn't." He told me, irritation in his voice.

"Oh Jake," I giggled at him as Holly slapped at his shoulder, telling him to leave me alone. "Forget this after I say it, but it's moments like this that make me miss you the most." I kissed his cheek before diving into my pizza and ignoring the smug look on Jake's face.
***

There was a warm, tingling feeling to the air that blew around and about inside Soldier Field, home of the Chicago bears. The electricity transferred from the fans, down to the field where the players were taking their warm up tosses, getting ready to start their first game of the season versus the San Diego Chargers. My whole family along with Eric’s was here for his huge pro debut, something that surprisingly had been the talk of the sports channels for the last couple days. Eric’s cell phone had been ringing off the hook the person on the other end either Tom or another one of the reporters. The calls came at all times of the day until eventually Eric turned his phone off after being awoken for the sixth time in a night.
 
I was nervous for Eric, so nervous that my heart pounded in my chest, my palms were sweating, and I couldn’t seem to take in a deep breath. My stomach was jam packed with butterflies which was the main reason I had declined Jake’s offer of Vodka when we were tailgating. I already felt like throwing up and my brain was buzzing; it would not be a good idea to add onto it. Part of me really wished I hadn't of devoured so much pizza at the restaurant, but at the same time I had a feeling the butterflies would be worse and so would the dizziness if I didn't have something in there.

A hand wrapped around my shoulders, thrown lazily over my navy blue Decker jersey as I squinted straight ahead at the field, watching Eric catch warm up passes. I sighed, finally turning to Jake who was watching me through the tinted lenses of his shades.

"Beautiful day for some kick ass football. Decker is going to do it big; stop worrying about him." Jake cocked an eyebrow at me. I nodded, tilting my head so it rested against his arm.

"I'm still nervous." I mumbled, all of the brutal hits he received in college flashing through my mind. I shook my head not able to see those right before he would be playing a game.

"Who is that?" Jake asked, nodding in Tom's direction where he was turning the charm on for Eric's parents, telling his mom a funny story about his years in the business. I snorted shaking my head and throwing in an eye roll for Jake.

"Eric's agent, Tom." I spat out his name unable to hold back my disdain for him.

"Oh, that's the prick? Mom tells me you hate him."

"I do. He is a dick. He is dragging Eric away from me at all times of the day. I don't know how he keeps him so fucking occupied all the time, but whenever he is around, Eric becomes someone else."

"Well being an NFL player is kind of demanding."

"No. This is abnormal." I insisted to Jake who was grabbing Gracie from Holly. The little girl grinned at Jake, dressed in a Chicago Bears cheerleader uniform. I giggled softly as the little pom pom in her hair bounced up and down.

"Well, if you need me to; I'll kick some ass. You're never too old to get help from me." Gracie gurgled as Jake made faces at her, drooling onto her shirt.

"Thanks, but the only person who can make it stop is Eric." I sighed leaning back in my chair.

"What? Are you seriously underestimating my ability to punch the shit out of that!?" Jake exclaimed, his biceps flexing as he glared at me, his eyes wild with surprise.

"No, but I don't think Eric would let you get to him."

"Why?"

"He likes what he is doing for his career."

"Taking Decks away from my baby sis isn't cool or good for his career." Jake pursed his lips in annoyance.

"Jake," Holly called to him a warning tone to her voice as she saw how agitated her husband was.

The cheers of the crowd took Jake's attention to the field and off of me and the way Eric was treating me. I knew that by announcing that bit of information, I was letting him see the way Eric really treated me, and for some reason, admitting it out loud made me have a bad taste in my mouth like maybe it wasn't okay. I watched, sucking in a deep breath as the opening kick off flew down the field to the Bears who had won the toss and opted to receive.

I found myself sighing multiple times through out the first quarter, wishing that my friends were here, and that I was sitting with Katie and Kara. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy all the love of my family, but my friends added so much more to the game. They made being here fun while family just made it bearable. Eric had a great first quarter as the Bears ran out to a quick 10-0 early lead. Every time Eric did anything, Tom would clap as if he was the sole reason Eric was preforming so well. I rolled my eyes so many times I was slightly concerned they would get stuck that way.

The second quarter began and I watched Eric go out on the field, lining up for the next Bears drive. My eyes watched as Eric took off, charging down the field. He pushed off of the defender and Jake and I reached for each other just as the ball was shot down the field. Eric was all alone, behind the defenders who were now trying to reach for him. The ball settled into his arms and he fan down the field the last twenty yards and into the end zone. A loud, happy scream rippled out of my body as we all jumped up.

"Jake! Look at my baby!" I squealed as he twirled me around in the small rows of the stadium.

"I taught him that!" Jake laughed loudly as he kissed my cheek and we turned to watch Eric celebrate. He leaped up with Jay Cutler, crashing together.

Eric looked amazing as he smiled and laughed, over joyed that in his first official NFL game, he scored to push his team a little farther ahead of their opponent. "Good job, babe." I murmured down to him as his teammates slapped his head and shoulders. Eric went to the sidelines and grabbed a cup of water, chugging it as his eyes scanned our area. Our eyes met and I freaked out, dancing and smiling widely at him, blowing a kiss. I saw his shoulders shake and when he was done with his water, his handsome face wore a sexy grin. I winked down at him as Jake pulled me back down into my seat.

"He has a game to win." Jake jokingly scolded me.

"And you have a diaper to change." Holly informed him, handing the fussy little girl to her dad. Jake sighed, scooping up his daughter and wrinkling his nose at the smell.

"Yeah, I'd cry too if I had to sit in my own shit." I laughed loudly as Jake pushed past me and up the stairs. Holly rolled her eyes and I turned back to the field to watch the Bears defense hold back the opposing team.

The rest of the game passed quickly as Eric continued to dominate on the field. By the end of the game, Eric had successfully won over the Chicago fans as they headed out of the arena, blubbering about the new receiver. I shook my head at the girls who gushed about how sexy he was, flashing my engagement ring even though none of them knew he gave it to me. The talk didn't bother me like I expected it too, but maybe that was because I was on such a high that nothing could bring me down, not even Tom as he pushed his way to Eric in order to supervise his interviews (or jump in the frame of the camera).

Our families wandered down to the waiting area, slowly making our way downstairs. I entered the vast room decorated with the Bears colors along with plush couches where other family members were already seated. I stayed to myself, focusing my attention on the back of the room where a table of food and beverages were laid out, and four very familiar people stood, munching away.

"Look at you moochers!" I squealed, rushing to where Katie was popping an almond into her mouth. I wrapped her in a tight hug, waving to Kara who was attached to Blake's hip.

"Does Decker pay for this shit?" Adam asked, devouring a sandwich in a couple bites.

"No." I told him watching as he smirked.

"Then it isn't mooching."

"Wait, why are you here...? Don't you have practice?" I asked Adam, raising a confused eyebrow at the quarterback who just rolled his eyes like a prima donna.

"Early morning, Ry. Remember?" He tapped my head referring to the early morning practices they always had on Sundays.

"No, I don't. It's been awhile." I told Adam, giving him his own eye roll. "Why weren't you sitting by me?"

"Because Adam is an idiot and didn't tell Eric we were coming until two hours before the game. So we had to sit in a suite." Katie slapped Adam upside the head as he smiled sheepishly.

"I bet that was a terrible alternative." I giggled at Katie.

"We managed." Kara winked at me.

"Decker, hurry up." I heard David groan across the room as he moved towards us. We all turned to look at my whiny brother. "He takes as long as you do." David muttered under his breath taking a bottle of water off the table.

"He has things to do, Dave."

"Like what?" David asked around a chip he had shoved in his mouth.

"Like talking to the media. and showering so he smells nice."

"Ew. Who wants to talk to his ugly mug?" He teased, looking down at Zoe who was asking for a chip. Blake stepped in, scooping her up, pointing at the chips and asking which one she wanted. She pointed to the Doritos and he handed her the bag.

"Good choice, Zo."

"Look at him." I nudged Kara with my elbow as she sighed softly, looking at Blake with admiring eyes.

"He would be a great dad." She whispered, biting her lip as Blake looked at her, blue eyes sparkling softly in the glow of the lights.

"Uh oh." I chuckled as they snapped out of their gaze when Zoe demanded to be put down. Blake set her back on her Nike clad feet as she scurried back to Austin.

"What?" Kara wondered.

"You both have that baby look." I wiggled my eyebrows while Kara tried to play if off with a scoff.

"Please, we aren't ready." She dismissed with a wave of her hand. She looked over my shoulder, relief shinning in her eyes. "Oh, it's your man." I turned, eyes locking on his as he grinned looking only at me while Tom tried desperately to call to him.

"Yes he is." I breathed, licking my lips as he crossed the room to me.

"Baby."

"Eric!" I squealed as he lifted me into his arms, squeezing me to him as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "You were amazing."

"It's cause you were here, wearing this" He murmured, fingering his jersey that flowed around my body. "You look so sexy." He nipped at my neck before setting me back on my feet as Jake very indiscreetly cleared his throat. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, smirking at my older brother playfully.

"Hey tool," Eric laughed, gesturing to Adam once he was done fucking with Jake's emotions. He tried to give Blake a nod but he wasn't paying attention, instead looking down at his fiance.

"Decker, those passes didn't look as sweet since they weren't coming from me."

"If anything they look better." Jake shouted from the couch. "Weber, how many complete passes have you had this year? Two. How many interceptions? Seven. You suck." Jake and David pounded fists as Adam stalked across the room.

"Do you guys need a punter?" Blake jokingly asked. "Kara loves the shopping."

"Yes! Move here!" I exclaimed.

"Babe, I can't. I got a job at a law firm in downtown St. Paul." She gave me a sympathetic look understanding both the urgency and the sincerity to my statement.

"Chicago has plenty of those." I told her, sighing inwardly. Kara getting that job was just another reminder that we were growing up, and growing apart. The sting was felt deep with in me as I visualized her shifting away from me and towards a different path in her life. It seemed as if that was happening with everyone. They were finding themselves while I was losing myself. They were all moving ahead while I seemed to stop, frozen in time for the moment.

"Can we go eat now?" David complained, irritation evident in his voice.

"Shut up. Why did you come if all you were going to do was whine?" Jake snapped. "You whine more than my three month old."

"I'd whine too if you were my dad." Jake wound up and slapped his stomach, the sound vibrating off David's skin and through the room. That started an argument with my brothers until Eric quickly stepped in, keeping out hands locked together.

"Hey, dipshits, knock it off or I'll send you back to Minnesota."

"Decker, why you hating?" David complained.

"Why are you such a girl?"

"Hey!" Kara exclaimed, slapping Eric's arm, "do not compare us to that."

"Enough!" I muttered, stepping between the three fighting men. "Be good boys."

"I don't take orders from you." David snipped.

"You are never getting married." I muttered, running my hands through my straight hair.

"Children!" My mom exclaimed from the door where she stood with the other three adults. "We are going to eat and anyone who opens their mouth to argue again will get kicked out of the car on the freeway."

"David." Jake mumbled under his breath. We all snickered as David threw Jake a glare before we filed out of the stadium to shut up David's annoying whining. Eric and I walked out hand in hand as Eric waved goodbye to Tom who looked less than thrilled to see Eric not doing anything football related. I gave him a smug smile which quickly turned into a smirk as his eyes narrowed challenging at me. I just kept my head tilted up knowing that if I needed too, I'd let Jake out of his cage. Tom had no idea that Eric may take his shit, but Jake and I won't.
♠ ♠ ♠
woo! who wants to comment!?
everyone who is reading this!? oh how sweet ;D
comments would rock.
Eric went to the NFL combine last weekend so it should be interesting. They are thinking Miami might take him; could you imagine Riley if that is where Eric ended up in this story!? haha!
let me know what you think!? this got super long so I had to break it up!