‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

A New Slytherin

P.O.V – Draco Malfoy

“Cunning Slytherins.” I muttered to the damp wall in front of me. Watching as it slowly gave way to the Slytherin common room. I felt guilty for what I had done to Blaise, but only a little. He had had it coming to him. I only wish I could be there when Filch found him wandering around aimlessly in the Restricted Section. If he makes it that far without being caught, that is.

I withheld a snicker, stepping inside the dimly lit common room. Welcoming the familiar green glow and fine furnishings, but only for a moment. Because then I noticed her, Pansy, who apparently had been sleeping on one of the couches, as she had a blanket on her lap. Sitting up, and making her way over to me.

“Draco,” She began in that annoying high pitch of hers, “where have you been?” She asked, throwing her arms around my waist, “I’ve been so worried.”

I groaned inwardly. No matter how hard I tried, I could never seem to get rid of Pansy Parkinson.

I began to attempt to push her away, unsuccessfully, as Crabbe, Goyle, and a half a dozen other Slytherins made their way down the steps. What was this, a party?

Finally Pansy released me, backing up a step and looking up at me, “So,” She demanded, “Where were you?”

As much as part of me would enjoy fixing up Pansy’s memory, I would specifically modify her ‘feelings’ for me, I knew it would be unwise to do so after just obliviating Zabini. So, instead, I pointed over her shoulder towards the growing crowd, “What’s everyone doing up?” I asked, my voice slightly more strained than normal. It would be my worst nightmare if the whole house had even the slightest idea what I was up too.

Pansy rolled her eyes, “Some new girl, sixth year, got sorted here,” She began in a bored tone, “Everyone just can’t wait to see her. She’s supposed to be pretty.”

My mind went blank. Becky was sorted into Slytherin. I looked away from Pansy, frowning. I mean, that Sinclair cow…

I felt Pansy grasp my hand, turning me back to face her wide eyed doe expression, “You think I’m prettier than her, don’t you Draco?” She asked in a simpering sweet voice.

My eyebrows snapped up as my mouth fell slightly open. Only Pansy. Luckily, I was saved from answering, by the wall opening behind me. I turned around to see Snape…one of the last people I wanted to see. I thought, frowning. He had usurped my father in the Dark Lord’s eyes. Following after him was Becky…I mean, that idiot, Sinclair...

Snape surveyed the room coldly. He seemed to have adopted an icier tone, even towards us Slytherins, from what I have seen, this year. Becky merely stood behind him, her face perpetually blank.

I cocked my head to the side. Something was different about her. I just couldn’t quite put my finger on it…

My eyes widened for a moment, as she turned to look at me, her beautiful gray eyes seemed so haunted now. As if she had lived a thousand lifetimes since I had last seen her, a mere few hours ago.

Taking a deep breath, I forced myself to look away, placing a look of indifference on my face as Snape opened his mouth to speak.

“It seems we have a new member of our house,” Droned Snape, but there was a hidden anger behind his words, “Becky Sinclair.” He spat out her name like it was something vile, “Who despite her, somewhat, lack of magical abilities, was placed here in our great house.” Snape sneered, Becky herself showed no emotion, though there was a slight flicker in her eyes, “Treat her as such.” Finished Snape, a small smirk lining his lips as he turned and swept from the room.

Leaving Becky standing there, alone.