‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

The Slytherins

P.O.V – Maria Le Fay

One day I will have to thank Snape for that eloquently delivered speech on my behalf. I thought calmly to myself, surveying my new living quarters, and subsequent, roommates.

Draco Malfoy and his pug faced girlfriend, who had shoved me before getting onto the Hogwarts Express earlier, were the closest to me. A horde of Slytherins, boys and girls, behind them, all with varying expressions. The girls seemed, for the most part, an angry lot, while the boys ranged from snickering to overly welcoming.

The pug was the first to speak, stepping in front of Draco, “Kind of scrawny aren’t you?” She began in a sickly sweet voice, “Been ill recently?” She asked, clearly working hard to conceal her mirth as a group of girls behind her began to laugh.

I blinked for a moment, looking away, a smirk coming onto my face. Before I stepped close to her, looking her directly in the eye, “No,” I shook my head, not caring that it was a lie. I made a show of looking her over, “So when are you due?” I asked in a fake tone of politeness, listening to the ooh’s from the crowd, as she quickly moved to stand behind Draco.

“Don’t let her talk to me like that!” She hissed in his ear, as she shrunk behind him, clearly upset. Draco looked back at her for a moment, I couldn’t read his expression.

“What,” I snapped, enjoying this chance at venting my anger, “you can’t take it, so you ask your little boyfriend to step in?” A small wave of guilt washed over me the second the words left my mouth. As Draco turned to look at me, an angry look in his eyes.

He stepped forward.

“Watch it, Sinclair.” He hissed lowly, his eyes flickering dangerously.

I swallowed hard, my heart rate increasing. I knew that look, it was the similar to the one I had been giving Snape. I knew what it meant. Draco was hurting, numbed, and furious because of it all, just like me. I smirked, I’ll play.

“Why? What are you going to do about it?” I said laughingly, sobering quickly as I saw him withdraw his wand. I had no defense against that, and he knew it, as Snape had so kindly informed everyone that I was pretty much defenseless.

Everyone gasped, though I think I did hear a few jeers.

“Do you really want to find out?” Asked Draco lowly, I blinked my eyes, surveying him. He seemed worn to me, probably would have no problem cursing me.

Drawing my face tight, I raised my hands, and took a step back from him, not breaking our eye contact, “Go ahead.” He didn’t move, the room was heavy with tension. I gave a small smile, “Please?”

Another moment passed. Before, he looked away from me, I almost thought his eyes were watering, as he placed his wand back into his robes and swept out of the common room. Defeated, to the stunned, but still jeering, crowd of Slytherins.

I just stood there, expressionless, I as watched him go. Not fully understanding why I felt connected to him. I didn’t really know Draco Malfoy, no matter what I thought, and I loved Sirius.

“Now look what you did!” Shrieked Pansy, breaking my train of thought.

I turned back to her, smirking, “What did I do?” I asked innocently, bumping her slightly as I walked past her, towards the girls dormitories.