‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Pug Face

P.O.V – Maria Le Fay

I hate this feeling. Helplessness had never been my forte, and yet, that’s what everyone seemed intent on making me feel. I thought to myself, as I eyed the pug’s wand.

I knew that I could do nothing to her. Nothing at all. I could use flames, of course, leaning on the chance she would be too dimwitted to know how to evaporate or deflect them. But that would mean giving away my ace to more than just her, but to everyone here, and this wasn't the time for that.

My eyes narrowed, the only thing that mattered was her wand. Nothing else, not even that constant racket surrounding us, idiots all. The wand is what was important, the only thing causing me to hesitate.

Taking a deep breath, I made my decision, my only choice really. I thought to myself, plastering a smirk on my face as I raised both of my arms into the air, over my head, in a stretch, “What are you waiting for?” I asked her arrogantly, “Curse me already.”

I watched as the furious look on pug face intensified and she began to make a motion with her wand.

I didn’t flinch.

“What is going on here?” Asked a shrill voice. As an older looking woman, wearing black robes, worked her way through the crowd behind the pug. The latter immediately hiding her wand.

I slowly lowered my hands, placidly, the severe looking woman reaching us. Her lips drawn thin, “Well?” She demanded looking between me and pug.

I shrugged, while pug face spoke, her face forming into an innocent expression, “Nothing, Professor. I was just showing Sinclair a spell. I thought she might find it interesting,” She shot me a look, “As she doesn’t know how to do magic and all.” The Professor remained unconvinced, turning to face me instead. A brief look of shock crossing over her face for a moment, before it regained its former agitation.

“I believe you had a class with me this morning,..Sinclair.” She said in an irritated tone. The pug smirking behind her.

My eyebrows rose for a moment. So this must be Professor McGonagall. I felt my face heat up briefly, “I’m sorry, Professor,” I began truthfully, “I had…” I paused, searching for the right words under her stern gaze, “a rough night,” I said, settling, “and I over slept.” I finished lamely as she humphed.

“Very well, Sinclair,” Began Professor McGonagall sternly, “Thirty points from Slytherin and a detention. No matter what kind of night you had, you are still expected to partake in your classes.” I bowed my head a little.

What was the point in protesting? It was well deserved.

I heard a slight groan from the pug. Guess she valued house points. McGonagall turned around to face her, “Parkinson,” So that was her name, or surname, as it were, “Ten points from Slytherin for detaining your classmate,” Parkinson opened her mouth to protest, but McGonagall cut her off, “say one word and you’ll get a detention, like Sinclair. Separate ones, of course, I wouldn’t want you ‘showing her a spell’ after all.”

I sniggered, sharp woman, this Professor. I watched as Parkinson sulked off, a large grin on my face.

“I wouldn’t be so happy, Sinclair,” Began McGonagall sharply, causing me to look turn back towards her, my grin lessoning, “Now follow me. I still have thirty minutes until my next class. More than enough time to teach you something, I’m sure.”

I nodded, as she turned around and began to make her way through the crowd. I took a step forward after her, when I felt a pair of eyes on me. I turned around abruptly, to see Draco staring at me from the bottom of the staircase. Clearly ignoring Parkinson, who from the looks of it, was throwing herself at him.

I held his gaze for a moment. Taking in a deep breath, before looking away, and following after Professor McGonagall.