‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Maria Le Fay

P.O.V – Draco Malfoy

Detached, I stepped back from the vanishing cabinet. I hadn’t been here long, but due to my run in with Pansy, I didn’t have much time to begin with. The loud gong I had set up sounded again, it was time to head to class.

I didn’t move, my eyes were transfixed on the broken cabinet. A cold feeling spreading through me that I fought to suppress. I couldn’t care about this, really. Instinctively I grasped my left arm. My thoughts wandering towards my fellow Death Eaters, I used my right hand to brush the side of the cabinet. They would enter through here…

My eyes glazed over, this was not a moment I could allow myself to think. I had to do this! I had to save my family!

Swiftly, I turned away from the damaged cabinet. A resolute expression on my face as I made my way through the piles of junk and other useless items that filled the room, towards the door. All the while, my gong sounding loud and clear, perfectly inaudible to the outside world, but enough to cause me a headache, I thought, wincing. Reaching and opening the door, before stepping out into the empty seventh floor corridor.

Time passing quickly, as I practically flew down the staircases. It was important I arrive on time for class. I had always sported an excellent attendance record, a requirement set by my father, and I couldn’t change that now. Any deviation from my normal routine might awaken suspicions and I can’t have that. My family would be killed for sure if I was caught. I thought to myself I as I descended the final staircase and into the entrance hall making my way towards the dungeons. Where the Defense Against the Dark Arts Class had been moved due to Snape taking over the post.

Steeling myself as I began to walk past the series of classrooms that lined the way. I had to be as confident as possible in front of Snape, for he surely would be reporting back to the Dark Lord about my progress. I couldn’t falter in front of him, this was my mission. Mine. I was chosen, not him, and I was going to do my absolute best to show him why. Why I was better than him. That I was a real Death Eater. A man. That I can handle myself now.

I froze suddenly, stopping in mid step, the sound of heart wrenching sobs breaking me out of my thoughts. Frowning slightly, I stepped towards the nearest of the classrooms, and cracked the door open. Surprise and an unexpected anguish running through me at the sight of Becky curled into a ball on the floor, crying hysterically.

I swallowed nervously, my eyes widening, as I instinctively pushed open the door and stepped inside the classroom. Becky barely looked up, but I could see the puffiness around her eyes, she had been crying for awhile. I could barely breathe, taking notice for the first time that the back of her robes had been slashed open. Revealing two tattoos, one was that of a long green snake and the other of a red salamander.

I felt a strange mixture of emotions at the sight, anger, towards the one who could have done this to my Becky, and grief that it had happened to her.

Cautiously, as if I was approaching a frightened animal, I began to walk towards her sobbing form. Fearing the worst. She didn’t even move, I had never seen a more depressing sight. I don’t think I have ever seen a broken human being before, and I knew in that moment that I never wanted to again.

Slowly, I lowered myself down beside her, my hand briefly brushing her shoulder, causing her to flinch, “Becky,” I began, my voice raw, “what happened? Who did this to you?” I asked, my eyes once again trailing over her brutally torn robes.

She froze, though she still kept her head cradled away from me, her sobs briefly subsiding at my questions. A moment passed, while I stared at her, truly concerned, before she raised her head. Wet tears still coursing down her face, her eyes puffy and bloodshot. The expression on her face…was one of one who was feeling too much all at once.

I tilted my head at her, my heart aching at the sight. I had never quite felt like this about another person before, and in the back of my mind I wasn’t sure why I cared even now.

Becky licked her lips, before opening her mouth to speak, “Draco,” She said my name hoarsely, before looking around wildly as if lost, more tears flowing down her face. Another moment passing before she finally met my eyes again, shrugging her shoulders slightly and shaking her head, “I could not begin to explain.” I watched as she suddenly frowned, as if remembering something, something important. Then began to look from my face towards my arm, my left arm.

I flinched, looking away from her and grabbing the offending appendage. Standing up and backing away from her, as she too rose, and began to walk towards me.

“I forgot.” She said, almost hysterically, flipping her hands in the air, “I can’t believe I forgot,” She took another step towards me, looking away from me for a moment, frowning, “well, actually I can.”

I pressed myself back against the wall, attempting to hide my arm from her, even as she reached for it directly. Pulling it from my side and rolling up the sleeve. My dark mark gleaming up for all the world to see.

Silently, I looked from my mark to Becky, she didn’t even look fazed. In fact, the sight of it seemed to have a calming effect.

“I forgot.” Becky said softly, running her hand over my mark, while I stared at her, transfixed. Almost to the point of being bewitched, “I forgot everything, you see.” She continued in the same soft, detached, voice, “Everything I did. Everyone I hurt. Everyone I loved.” My breath caught for some reason. Becky tilting her head, her eyes not leaving my mark, “And I don’t even know how.” Becky paused, “Why do you work for my father, Draco?” She asked calmly, almost serenely, as I nearly collapsed in shock. I felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice water over my head. I didn’t know what to think…thoughts overloading my brain.

“Your…your what?” I blurted out chokingly, as Becky released my arm, stepping back from me to look me in the eye.

A beat passed, before she sighed, looking away from me, a pained smile appearing on her face, before she returned to my gaze, “Voldemort is my father, Draco.” She stated, as I looked her over wildly, confused. Thoroughly confused, “I don’t know why I told you that.” Becky said, laughing, walking away from me, swinging her arms back and forth, “I really don’t.”

I stared after her, blankly, as she turned around, that pained smile still on her face.

“I’m Voldemort’s daughter.” She repeated, taking a deep breath, “I murdered my own mother, basically doomed the love of my life to a perpetual hell, killed who knows how many people, and then had my memory erased of all of it. Everything.” Becky began to laugh, clutching her stomach as she stumbled backwards, tears rolling down her cheeks despite her laughter.

I looked at her in horror. My mind still on overload. I couldn’t tell if she was just in shock of some traumatic event or completely mental. Automatically, I began to walk towards her, slowly, so not to spook her.

“I forgot.” Becky said softly, collapsing back onto the floor, the demented laughter subsiding.

I swallowed hard, as I, once again, lowered myself beside her, “Becky,” I began gently, reaching out to brush her hair, but she shook me off.

“Don’t call me that.” She replied angrily, keeping her face away from mine.

“Okay,” I started, taken back. Becky had completely lost it…

Slowly Becky raised her head to look up at me, her eyes still wild, as if struggling to find something, anything, to hold onto, “It’s Maria, Draco. Maria Le Fay.” She said softly, “That’s who I really am.” Becky gave a small smile at her words, one which I returned warily. Still afraid she had completely flipped her gourd, as she leaned into me suddenly. Allowing me to place my arms around her while she burst into another set of sobs.