‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Names

P.O.V – Draco Malfoy

What had I just agreed to? What had I done? I thought to myself furiously, my mind racing as I hurried down the hall. Turning in the direction of Potions as opposed to Defense Against the Dark Arts. With any luck, I might be only five minutes late for Slughorn’s class.

I adjusted my tie in brief frustration. After everything, Becky…Sinclair…., Maria…., Dark Witch, whoever the hell she was, had caused me to not only be late for one class, but to entirely miss another.

Not that I really believed she was the Dark Witch…

I glared at a handful of second years students as the exited a classroom. Smirking slightly at the frightened expressions that appeared on their young faces. Satisfaction briefly running through me, there was something I could still control.

Licking my lips slightly, I turned away from the group and back towards the hallway. Once again overwhelmed by far more troubling thoughts.

The Dark Witch had been one of, if not thee, most powerful witch of her time. Daughter of the Dark Lord, she had been close to beloved on one side and feared and hated by the other. She had vanished just months prior to the Dark Lord’s, temporary, exile. Never to be seen or heard from again. No one seemed to know what happened to her, not even my father, who had known the Dark Witch for many years.

As a young child, he used to tell me bedtime stories about her and her greatness. The only person whom he spoke of with greater reverence was the Dark Lord himself. Once, I had asked him if he knew. If he was in on the secret. For, of course, as a child I had assumed and had often assumed correctly, that my father was among the select, in even the highest of services.

How far he had fallen now…I thought to myself, a sad look crossing my face, one that I quickly turned to a sneer at the sight of a pack of fourth years. As I forced myself to recollect my thoughts.

However, when I had asked him, he always would go mysteriously quiet on the subject. Telling me he knew nothing of the sort and afterwards would ignore me for days. Preferring instead to spend time with my little sister, Carina.

I shifted my eyes downwards, an odd feeling coming over me. The same one that always did when I thought of my baby sister. She had died shortly after my fourth birthday, when she was only three. There had been a fire at the manor and everything within a certain radius had gone up in flames. I barely remembered her now, but that didn’t make the pain of losing a sibling any less fresh. My parents alone had taken years to recover from the loss.

I took a deep breath. Forcing thoughts of Carina away from my mind. I had more important things to think about, like Bec…Sinc…Maria, or whatever her name is. The fact remains, that no matter who she is. I gripped my left arm. She is a liability.

I bit my lip. It is highly unlikely she really is the Dark Witch. The age difference alone…and Sirius Black? Really? Her one true love? Oh come off it. She could do so much better, even if she was a nutter…

Still, despite it all, I had, not only given into her and not wiped her memory, but agreed to instruct her in magic. Clearly, I was almost as insane.

I rounded the last corridor. Catching sight of Potter’s mudblood friend as she entered Slughorn’s class. Maybe I wouldn’t be so late after all if Granger was just now showing up.

I plastered a smirk on my face, one last train thought crossing my mind before I entered into the classroom.

What if the Dark Lord had sent her? What if my Becky really was the Dark Witch?