‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Potions Class

P.O.V – Draco Malfoy

“Sir, I think you knew my grandfather, Abraxas Malfoy?” I said off handedly looking up from my unfinished Felix Felicis potion to Professor Slughorn as he passed by my table. I had no real need for the teacher and his ‘famous’ Slug Club. None at all, but, perhaps, a casual reminder of my heritage might urge him to award me the lucky potion to make up for not noticing me before. Like ‘chosen’ Potter, mudblood Granger, and even the idiot Zabini, really deserved all his attention…

“Yes,” Replied Slughorn without so much as raising his head to look at me, “I was sorry to hear he died, although of course it wasn’t unexpected, dragon pox at his age…” And with that, he walked away from me. Not one, ‘I’m sorry I didn’t see you over there, Draco’ or ‘Forgive me Draco, I didn’t realize you were in my class. Here’s the Felix Felicis for my mistake…’

I sighed. Perhaps I was beginning to think too much like Pansy. I should know by now, once someone has picked Potter as his pet, I gave a sideways glance to the ‘chosen one’, they very rarely acknowledge me. At least, civilly. I shuddered slightly, as I briefly remembered being turned into a ferret in fourth year by, yet another, one of Potter’s teachers, before returning to my potion.

It had to be perfect. I thought furiously to myself as I chopped up the last of the beans. Letting the juice exude from them into the cauldron turning my potion purple. I gritted my teeth, it needed to turn lilac not purple. Aggressively, I began to stir the potion counterclockwise.

I needed the Felix Felicis. With the potion I would be able to fix the cabinet in record time and be able to save my parents from the Dark Lord. In addition, maybe Maria…I mentally slapped myself at the thought.

She’s not Maria, she’s Bec…Sinclair. You idiot, don’t buy into her delusions! I thought rapidly, furious with myself, as I continued to stir the potion as fast as I could. Sweat dripping off my brow.

Now that I think of it, maybe Snape put her up to the act? A little game to throw me off, ensuring that he remains number one in the eyes of the Dark Lord. It made perfect sense really. He’d never hated a Slytherin as bad as he had appeared to despise Becky the night before. Make sense if it were all a part of an act. He had to figure that a prett…ugly girl like her crying and declaring herself the Dark Witch would throw me off my game.

I gave a small chuckle under my breath, causing Zabini, who was next to me, to look at me strangely. I paid him no mind. I was not to be outsmarted by Snape and that idiot Sinclair cow. I was going to win the Felix Felicis and complete my mission before they even had time to realize their little scheme had gone awry. That would show them.

“And time’s…up!” Called Slughorn, breaking my thoughts, “Stop stirring please!”

I dropped my stirrer with a plop. My eyes widening at my potion, it still wasn’t lilac, close, but not enough, not exactly.

I took a sharp intake of breath as Slughorn neared my table. I had to win. I had to be the best. I had to.

I plastered a confident expression on my face as Slughorn arrived at my table, but, once again, he didn’t even raise his head. He just gave a slight nod in my direction and moved on. I felt my heart deflate. I needed the lucky potion more than anyone in this room and I was more deserving, couldn’t he see that?

I swallowed nervously, Slughorn reaching Potter’s table. Surely he’ll come back, he just had to see all the potions first before choosing mine. He couldn’t be that…

“The clear winner!” Cried Slughorn, looking up in obvious delight from Potter’s potion, a dumbstruck expression appearing on my face. I had expected Granger to be in the running, the little mudblood always was, but, Potter??

“Excellent, excellent, Harry! Good Lord, it’s clear you’ve inherited your mother’s talent. She was a dab hand at Potions, Lily was! Here you are, then, here you are – one bottle of Felix Felicis, as promised, and use it well! Said Slughorn appraisingly as he slipped Potter the potion, the one that rightfully belonged to me. There was no way ‘chosen’ Potter’s potion had been that good.

I shot him a hard glare. Leaning in slightly as I heard Weasley ask him the very question that had been on my mind,

“How did you do that?”

“Got lucky, I suppose.” Replied Potter, not quite meeting Weasley’s eye.

Yeah, Potter. You got lucky. Another teacher took a shine to you. There’s your ‘luck’ right there. I thought sarcastically to myself as I threw my potions book back into my bag and left the classroom.

It doesn’t matter anyway. I don’t need some stupid potion. I can fix the cabinet up all on my own. I’m not Potter, I don’t need teachers kissing up to me and doing me favors. I’ll show them all. I thought to myself angrily, pulling tightly on the strap of my book bag as I stormed down the hall. Leaving behind many a terrified student in my wake.