‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Running Away

P.O.V – Maria Le Fay

“Do I really look okay?” I asked softly as Lily ran a brush through my long black hair. My eyes fixated on the over made up version of myself in the mirror. Today was the day. I thought to myself taking a deep breath rocking slightly on the stool Lily conjured up. Watching, in the corner of my eye, as Lily smiled at me and leaned in, so her face was next to mine.

“You look beautiful, Maria.” She replied gently, a calm happiness flooding her voice, “Just like a bride.”

I gulped nervously, biting my lip, as Lily resumed brushing my hair, “I don’t know if I can do it, Lily.” I whispered, causing her to still her movements. My voice broke, “I don’t want to hurt him.” And with that, I rose from the stool and ran out of the dormitory.

Not caring who I bumped into or who I knocked over, I just kept running. My robes and hair flying about me crazily, a few stray tears running down my cheeks.

This was a bad idea. Why had I ever let Sirius talk me into this? Marriage. To him. Sirius. The man I loved, when I knew full well what would happen to him the second he said, ‘I do’. I was insane. I will not do that to him. I won’t be a party to his suffering. I thought determinedly as I practically flew onto the Hogwarts grounds, catching sight of the Marauders out of the corner of my eye, as I ran past them on their way to the Whomping Willow.

Drat the luck. I thought, tears falling faster down my face as I sped up on my way into the Forbidden Forest. The sound of paws thumping behind me. He was following me. The idiot was following me. Didn’t he know how to leave well enough alone?

Of course not, he’s Sirius remember? Was my responding thought, just as I was tackled to the ground from behind.

“Get off, Sirius!” I hissed, fighting to roll his dog form off me, even as he pinned me to the ground, “Just let me go!” I said as I turned to look into his, dog, eyes, watching as he shifted back into his human form and quickly pinned my arms above my head.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Sirius demanded, out of breath, his face inches from mine.

I glared, “Away from you!” I spat, struggling beneath him, “As far away as I can get!”

Sirius cocked his head at me in disbelief as he firmly held me to the ground, “Really, Maria? Why ever so?” He asked mockingly as I gritted my teeth.

“Because…” I gasped, tiring, “I don’t want to marry you!” I mustered up, finally going slack under Sirius. Looking him coldly in the eye.

Sirius’ lips tightened, “We went over this already, Maria.” He replied gruffly, unmoving from his hold on me, “I don’t care about the bond. I got you into it and I love you and want to marry you. Stop worrying about me.”

I frowned at him, “Who says I’m worrying about you?” I snapped, Sirius quickly leaning down to capture my lips in a passionate kiss, before pulling back, leaving me dazed.

“Your eyes.” He replied huskily, standing up and extending his hand towards me, “Marry me?” He asked softly, a slightly pleading look on his face.

I sighed, “Sirius,” I began, he gave me a stern look, forcing me to laugh, as I sat up and grasped his outstretched hand. Standing up, “I love you.” I finished gently, giving him a small smile as he grinned madly.

“I love you too.” Sirius replied happily, turning to lead us both out of the forest, “Now lets go get married.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slowly, I opened my eyes as I awoke. Naked and alone in my new bed.

Well, I thought, at least I know it’s comfortable now.

I gave a small sigh as I ran my hand along the spot where Sirius had been beside me. I closed my eyes. I missed him already.

I couldn’t help but smile, thinking briefly back to my recently remembered memory. He really had chased me down and tackled me to get me to marry him. I chuckled. How cave man of him.

I opened my eyes again, rolling over onto my back as I played with my wedding rings around my neck.

Sirius was the greatest man I had ever known. He had saved me from becoming who I might have been. A cold hearted and bitter young woman ruled solely by the desire to please her father by doing his every bidding. Sirius had shown me a whole another world. One filled with warmth and love. He had shown me the light, enough for me never to willfully crave the darkness again, and I will love him forever for it.

However, because of me, he was suffering in that same darkness from which he had stolen me and he didn’t belong there. I had to save him and I will. Only…

Harry. I hadn’t even considered him until Sirius had mentioned him and how he had striven to prepare him to defeat my father. My godchild, and we were the same age, at least, physically. I had to protect Harry for Sirius. For his legacy.

There was also the small, but possible, chance of Harry defeating my father. In which case, helping him was just like saving Sirius. Yet, this, all of it, was complicated by my working with Draco in order to prevent my father from keeping me from Sirius forever. For all intents and purposes, I was back to where I was before something unknown happened to me. The role of a double agent, but even more so this time, I don’t seem to recall playing much of an active role before.

Groaning slightly, I sat up in bed, my stomach growling fiercely. Guess it serves me right for missing both the feast last night and breakfast. It’s a miracle I haven’t passed out yet.

I rolled over to check the clock above my bed, only twenty minutes remained until lunch. I had plenty of time to get dressed and get there. It would be explaining to my teachers why I skipped their classes all morning that would be the problem.

I ran a hand down the side of my face. I could do this. I had to, and with that, I rose from my bed to get dressed as I prepared to face the entire school for the first time. Well, at least, the first time in a decade or so.