‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Astoria Greengrass

P.O.V – Maria Le Fay

Hurriedly, I threw on another pair of robes and slipped out of my room. The dormitories were quiet at this hour, most people seemly having headed off to lunch. The common room was fairly empty as well, with the exception of a few stray seventh years, most of whom looked at me darkly as I passed. Guess they had taken Snape’s words to heart, except for the guys, who took pleasure in wolf whistling whenever I walked by one of them.

I gritted my teeth, but otherwise showed no reaction, if only I still knew how to control my magic…

Flipping my hair violently over my shoulder, I took out my wand using it to tap on the damp stone wall separating the Slytherin common room from the rest of the school. I have vague memories of it being a portrait instead of a wall for the Gryffindors from my prior 'life'.

I tapped my foot lightly, as the wall gave way to the dimly lit area of the dungeons. So colorful, us Slytherins, I thought sarcastically to myself, but then again, what did we need colors for? We had more important things to attend too. I thought as I stormed down the dank halls of the Hogwart’s dungeons.

Passing by the occasional students here and there before a small female shriek ahead of me caused me to bolt forward.

“Just leave me alone, please! I won’t do anything, I promise!” Begged a girl in simpering tone of voice, just as I rounded a corner into the scene. Where a small petite blonde was huddled on the floor surrounded by at least five Slytherin girls, including Parkinson, spell books scattered all around her.

“Why?” Snapped an older girl, who bore a striking resemblance to the tearful one on the floor, only older, “You’re already a disgrace, why shouldn’t we treat you like one?”

The younger girl bowed her head to the ground, clearly in tears. The girls surrounding her began to laugh.

“Oh look,” Began Parkinson stepping closer to the tearful girl, kicking a book in the process, “you made your sister cry, Daphne.” She said mockingly to the older blonde.

Daphne gave a dramatic sigh, “Oh dear, whatever shall I do?” She said sarcastically, causing the group to laugh again.

I frowned as I eyed the scene. Stepping forward towards the group, “Oh look, it’s pregnant pug face and her gang of idiots.” I said, smirking at the lot, as they all turned to stare at me, mouths agape. Before all replying at once,

“I am not pregnant!” Spouted Parkinson

“I’m not an idiot!” Said a couple of the girls.

“How dare you!” Shrieked Daphne.

“You’re just jealous of my looks!” Continued Parkinson, attempting to add an air of arrogance to her voice.

I struggled to suppress a chuckle. So gullible, all of them, “Oh really? Shocking,” I replied to the pug’s first statement, before turning to respond to the others, “I beg to disagree.” I said seriously, taking a swiping step towards the group, rounding on Daphane, “And, how dare I?” I replied softly, looking her hard in the eye, causing her to flinch back after a moment, “You treat your sister like this, and it’s ‘how dare I’?” I stared at Daphane hard for another moment, before turning to the girl on the floor, uttering a comment to Parkinson over my shoulder, “Yes, some days, I’m upset I don’t have the face of a pug, you’re quite right.” I said sarcastically, as I began to gather up the girl’s books, while she stared at me, her hazel eyes wide. I gave her a gentle smile; just a she suddenly shoved me aside.

“Stupefy!” Shrieked Parkinson’s voice behind me, a bolt of red light hitting Daphne’s sister, causing her to go limp on the ground.

My eyes widened at the sight, and I slowly rounded my gaze on Parkinson and her cronies, furious. I could feel fire building on my palms. They all stared back at me, horrified, before quickly scattering in different directions down the hall.

I took a deep breath. The second I re-learned my magic, heck, maybe even before then, I would make every single one of them pay for attempting to curse me. I vowed to myself silently as I moved towards the small limp girl beside me.

She was a Hufflepuff apparently, according to her color robes. Well, I sighed to myself, that explains the sisterly hatred. Imagine being a Slytherin with a sister in Hufflepuff, I thought in Daphne like tone, oh the shame.

I frowned at the girl’s unconscious state, tilting my head as I reached out and poked her slightly on the shoulder, “Hey, you,” I began an edge of nervousness to my normally firm voice, “that cow Daphne’s sister, wake up!” I finished, moving forward a bit more and shaking her violently. Her hazel eyes opening slowly, causing me to drop her, gently, back onto the ground, “Thanks.” I said shortly, returning to grab her books, “You didn’t have to do that.”

“Do what?” She replied in a high, almost sweet, voice, as she looked around confused.

I turned to look at her more directly, eyebrow raised, “Save me from that stupid curse of Parkinson’s.” I replied lightly, a small wave of concern going across me.

“Oh.” She said softly, furrowing her brow as she slowly sat up, staring at me, “You’re the new girl right?” She asked, clearly still confused. I nodded my head in response. She stared at me for another moment, before smiling, “I’m Astoria Greengrass.” She began sticking her hand out towards me, as she tilted her head slightly, “I’m a fourth year.”

I marveled at her for a moment, looking back and forth from her cheery face to her outstretched hand. Just moments ago she had been crying, tormented by her sister and her sister’s friends. She had even taken a curse for me, and now she was…happy?

I frowned at her, hesitating before stretching out my own hand to shake hers, her smile widening.

“It was nice to meet you, Maria Le Fay.” Astoria said cheerily, taking her books from me and standing up. Leaving me dumbfounded on the floor for a moment, mouth agape, before I stood up and chased after her. Grabbing her shoulder and pinning her to a wall.

“How do you know who I am?” I hissed at her startled expression, watching as it gradually returned to the cheery one she had worn before.

Astoria beamed at me, shrugging her shoulders, “I’m a low level seer.” She replied softly, “I saw you coming.”

“Low level,” I began in a falsely calm voice, not releasing my hold on the girl, “and you saw me coming.”

Astoria shrugged again, “I know I’m not particularly talented. Not like Daphne, she’s awesome at Transfiguration, but I do have a small talent in Divination. Yes.” She replied in a sort of brainwashed gentle tone.

I released my hold on her, staring at her, tongue tied for once.

Astoria merely smiled again, clutching her books tightly to her chest, “But don’t worry, I won’t tell. “ She said, adding quickly, “Becky.”

“Okay.” I replied, still stunned, as Astoria turned and skipped away from me. To think, I had once been in a loony bin while all these other crazies had roamed free. Insane.