‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Defective

P.O.V – Unknown

I don't feel right. I don't like it here. It makes me feel cold. I don't like feeling cold. I feel these pains sometimes. Hurts right here, right in my heart. It scares mommy and daddy that I hurt. They say it's bad. Daddy yelled at me for hours last time. Now I don't say anything. I still feel the pain though, like a tug. It's not like my hands, they burn. My heart doesn't burn, it tugs.

Why does it tug?

P.O.V - Maria Le Fay * *

Abruptly, I jolted upright off the cold stone floor on which I had fallen. An ugly look on my face, as I glared up at Snape, who had, once again, sent me into a comatose state with his taunting. I just had to have class with him today…

"You wanna do that again? I'm starting to like it." I growled at him, getting up off the floor. He just stared back at me, the slight beginning of a smirk on his face.

"You merely asked me a question, Le Fay. It is not my fault that you aren't strong enough to handle the truth."

My eyes widened furiously, "How dare you…"

"You are a poor excuse for a witch, Le Fay. A great come down for you, I am sure, but you have no talent for the arts whatsoever, and if not for your tendency to set things a flame, a talent that does not come from your Wizarding heritage I might add, you could be deemed a squib. If not for the likes of Albus Dumbledore, I would not be here; making a complete waste of what little is left of my evening."

Red, pure unadulterated red, filled my vision, and I could feel my wand twitch in my hand. I. Am. Not. Talentless. "Stupefy!" I cried out, pointing my wand at Snape, causing a red light to shoot out from its tip towards Snape, who deflected it with a mere wave of his wand.

"Better." He said in a bored monotone voice, "You might be able to hold your own against a two year old who's run off with their mother's wand now…"

I seethed.

"Meet me again tomorrow at 5:15, sharp. Don't be late and I expect to see at least the skill of a first year tomorrow…"

"Or what?" I snapped angrily, grabbing my bag of books off the floor, "You'll 'taunt' me into a coma again?"

Snape smiled, it wasn't a pleasant sight, "Le Fay, I have hardly said anything yet to you that might warrant a coma. Smart off to me again and you will find yourself asleep for a very long time. Much longer than the five minutes you spent dosing on the floor…"

I clenched my fist around my bag strap, my other hand tightening around my wand. I'll show him first year level, matter a fact; I'll do him a couple years better…

"You do not want to know what I know. You do not want to ask me questions. You will not like what you hear and would most likely 'dose' off for a very long time. And, as much as I would love to never have to spend another hour and a half teaching you again, I can think of two very powerful wizards who would be very angry if I did so."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Snape cut me off,

"You will leave my presence now, Le Fay, and when you return, I expect a half decent spell from you, worthy of at least a child. Now go."

My eyes flashed, and I dropped my book bag back onto the floor, putting my hand on my hip, "No, I'm staying right here, just to tick you off, and if you don't like it, you can just…"

"Stupefy!" Snape exclaimed, raising his wand in my direction, causing me to fly backwards and slam into the wall, hard.

"That is how you do the spell." He said harshly, before walking forward and stepping over me on his way out the door. While I lay there, too weak and out of breath to even grab his ankle.

Maybe he had a point. I was supposed to be this great witch. All powerful and all that, and, despite Voldemort supposedly giving me my powers back on loan, I still showed no talent for the magical arts whatsoever. What was wrong with me? Why am I…defective? How I could I ever help to save Sirius this way?

I felt tears begin to sting in my eyes, as I sat up slowly. My chest still throbbing from the hex Snape had sent my way.

Of course, there was still Draco, who I was supposed to be meeting in the common room in a few minutes. Most of the students would probably still be at the feast, so we would have some privacy. Unless the pug decides to drop in…

I flashed back to earlier, the image of her and Draco together sticking out in my mind, taunting me, forever burned into my brain. I didn't even know why I cared, I have Sirius, I didn't need every guy on the planet chasing me around. I have a husband, whom I love dearly. Draco's just…

I closed my eyes, as I slowly stood. Draco was just…different. When I looked in his eyes, I saw…I saw me. I saw someone who was like me and that's…I've never had that.

I opened my eyes and walked forward, grabbing my book bag off the ground, before turning around and walking out of the dungeon in direction of the common room.

Sirius and I are, and have never been, alike. He was noble, whereas me, I'm not. Not really. I can be brave, stick out my neck when it counts, when I care, but noble? For all the right reasons, noble? Never. I couldn't care less. If it hadn't been for Sirius…I'm not a good person. Given my way, I'd totally…I don't have a overly self-righteous bone in my body. If you pick on me, I care, if I hate you and you're messing with someone, I care, if somehow you got in good with me, I'd care if something happened to you. Besides that…I honestly don't give a darn. What Sirius sees in me…

Draco and I come from similar backgrounds, sort of. He was tortured and pushed into becoming a Death Eater. And he went along with it, for his family, because it was his family. I am no different. My father is the Dark Lord, he tortured and pushed me into becoming the Dark Witch. Was, is, that so different? Sirius was pushed too, but he…he had something else. He wouldn't give in, wouldn't cave. He's not like Draco and me. We're both weak souls, we lack courage, and faith, everything that a true hero should be made of, and that's why we're both so messed up. We're not heroes, we're villains, villains trying to be what they're not and failing miserably.

"Cunning Slytherins." I said softly, to the damp slimy wall in front of me, watching as it gave way to the Slytherin common room, where I saw Draco was already waiting.

Maybe we should both just stop trying.